Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
Were you fit your whole life, and still got heart disease?
Curious if diet or genetics caused it or ?
Me, yes. As for genetics: when your family history has every male on your father's side dying of heart attacks in their 50s and 60s (sole exception being a grandfather killed in WWI) it's kind of hard not to suspect genetics playing a big role.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:54 AM

I had a CABG two years ago to correct a genetic anomaly with my left main coronary, which was passing through the heart muscle instead of around the heart as it's supposed to. I made it to 37 years, but started getting significant palpitations while sedentary, some v tach while riding, so I went to see our on-campus clinic, who hooked me up to an EKG, then immediately made a referral for me to see a cardiologist.

Went to get an MRI at our hospital in town and when they saw what was going on then took me to UAB in Birmingham for a single bypass surgery. The docs there considered leaving it alone, but were afraid that I would have to go on an exercise limited regime, which they knew wasn't a reasonable ask.

Luckily, I was in great shape –– I was actively training for a robust XC MTB season. In my cath lab, the docs saw that there was no plaque in my arteries.

Recovery from the surgery went great, or as well as one could expect. 24 hours after coming out of surgery, I was walking for hours in the hospital.

I went home after three days and went for lots of long walks to recover. I didn't touch the bike for a month because of the sternum issue.

Now two years since, I do just about everything I was doing before –– my quality of life hasn't changed. I do take a baby aspirin and a mild dose of a beta blocker (acebutolol) to smooth out the PVCs I sometimes get, plus lower my blood pressure some.

As far as riding goes, I can ride at 200ish watts for an hour at 135 BPM, where before surgery I would be at 150-160ish BPM. Part of that is due to the BB, to be sure, but the doc (who is a serious cyclist herself) said that my plumbing got a whole lot better. I do time my rides to when I take my BB – I have a whole methodology.

I was advised to avoid spending hours at threshold and to watch my cholesterol, which is and has always been good. I also don't do a whole lot of super hard V02-max type efforts since I just don't like the idea of going that hard for sustained periods.

One thing they don't talk about too much is the mental toll –– I am still working through the PTSD of the whole affair. It's gotten a lot better the past few months, but I think about things all the time.

Last edited by rzthomas; 05-31-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:30 AM

No experience here, but I want to wish you well.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:44 AM

My father, 81 years old, had a double bypass a few months back thankfully before all this virus stuff, and I was quite surprised at how fast he recovered. He has not been on a bike in 50 years so I can't help you with that but I would imagine that someone who is relatively healthy would recover even faster. Good luck on a speedy recovery.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:55 AM

First, thank you for the well-wishes. I hiked three miles this weekend (it was hard going uphill) and got on the trainer for the first time.

From my still limited perspective, I feel like anything you can do to breathe - and breathe deeply - is beneficial.

And the discussion around how common heart disease is led to a shocking realization: heart-related deaths in the US average around 647,000 each year. So clearly something we need to take seriously.

Finally, cycling. Thank goodness for it and for the sense of community it brings. And thank you Paceline for furthering that goal.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

Another aside and glad you are doing well..

Do you now or have you taken a statin or anti coagulant?

Just curious since I take both..BUT no heart issues other than unexplained afib...now under control with a handful of pills twice per day...
flecinide, diltiazim....plus some others.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:28 AM

40mg of Atorvastin and aspirin. Started that even before my stents. I expect that will be my only medication after my recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Another aside and glad you are doing well..

Do you now or have you taken a statin or anti coagulant?

Just curious since I take both..BUT no heart issues other than unexplained afib...now under control with a handful of pills twice per day...
flecinide, diltiazim....plus some others.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel23 View Post
40mg of Atorvastin and aspirin. Started that even before my stents. I expect that will be my only medication after my recovery
No Plavix or other as a blood thinner? That is great, not to be taking that stuff. Half the normal dose of Atorvastatin and aspirin as the sole blood thinner are good indicators of your overall health, really good. The fewer medications the better.

It sounds like you will be completely fine, but if you start to feel bothersome, consistent acid reflux contact your cardiologist soon in order to discuss it. A couple of weeks of it post-surgery is "normal" as a reaction to the incision and breathing, but after that may require medication to bring it down.

Recover well.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:08 PM

Latest member of the club

I guess i'm the latest member of the club. 17 days ago I had bypass surgery. I'm 56. I had no normal symptoms. The day of my event(s) I had what looked like 2 seizures in a span of 2-3 hours where I passed out for 30 seconds or so - no pain. My wife witnessed the 2nd one & quickly called 911 ( 1st hint - don't delay this step) From the ER they had taken me up to neurology for tests again because it appeared they were seizures. I had a massive "seizure" there but really I went into cardiac arrest ( technically not a heart attack). They had to perform CPR. My wife had to witness this and a scary moment when the CPR equipment was not where it was supposed to be but her heroine in the story is a small ER doctor who ran their emergency portable backpack kit up two floors - fast! Angiogram confirmed the Left Anterior Descending ( "the widowmaker") was 100% blocked. And this stopped the blood going to my brain in what is called a cardiovascular syncope, passing out/ fainting. Bypass the next day. They could only fix 1 of the 2 they wanted but the other one is small. There is no damage to the heart muscle, in fact they say my "squeeze" is exceptionally strong. and my heart had apparently adapted and opened up extra small arteries that helped pump the blood - hence no chest pain.

My dad died of heart disease at 70 with his 1st heart attack at 51. So had done a stress test 3 years ago and a calcium test 18 months ago. I passed with flying colors and less than 10% risk according to the calcium test. As I learned now at the age I am, and younger, the calcium test can be misleading because the blockage is more of a "jelly" than a calcification. Wish I had known. Go whatever extra mile your doctor tells you if you have family history- wish I had taken his diet advice to heart ( sorry).

Since March I had lost almost 50 pounds (225 to 177 at 5' 9") by pounding out the miles and changing my diet, mostly. I was putting in 40-60 miles a day 5-6 days a week. I wrote down everything I ate and estimated calories burned so I could manage the weight loss. BUT after a 60 mile ride I figured those calories could include a decent amount pastries or ice cream or cupcakes etc. I have had a ( super) sweet tooth forever. Sugar. That needs to change. If you have a sweet tooth please watch it. Calorie composition matters, especially if genetics don't favor you.

I am up to 4.5 miles per day of walking. My heart is not damaged. I am not experiencing side effects from the drug mix (statin, blood pressure, blood thinner, aspirin and a heart rhythm drug.)All at the lowest doses. They think I can get off the arrhythmia drug in 2 weeks and hopefully the thinner in the next 3-6 months. My cardiologist friend thinks with an "improved" LAD my cycling might actually improve. Let's hope.

Thanks for bearing with me. I had a couple of questions for my predecessors; what physical hurdles and mental hurdles did you have to clear to get back on a bike? What about your spouses mental hurdles? Are you still on a blood thinner, if not what had to happen to get off that? I lost a bit of muscle in the hospital ( down 10 more pounds) - what kind of resistance training has anyone picked up? how long after the chest cracking?

OP- Axel23 I noticed you split time between Bend & Austin. Did you have your "event" in Bend? I live in Bend.

Thanks.

Last edited by Beldar77; 09-09-2020 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:26 PM

My cardiologist was reluctant to have me get back on a road bike because of the anti coagulant (Brilinta) I'm taking...in addition to small aspirin. I don't stop bleeding if I cut or scratch myself. I scratched my leg last week when foot didn't engage in pedal....and that minor scrape filled my sock with blood....before I got it stopped. So now I ride a little better prepared for a scratch. Don't like to think about risk of head or internal injury. Have stopped riding with my geriatric friends. And mostly stick to almost deserted wide trails around here.

Last edited by Ralph; 09-09-2020 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:41 PM

I had open heart surgery as an infant. I've always thought my chest scars from them cutting me open were super badass. Wishing you well. 70 years old and chomping at the bit to get back on the bike is awesome. Cheers.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:04 PM

brilinta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
My cardiologist was reluctant to have me get back on a road bike because of the anti coagulant (Brilinta) I'm taking...in addition to small aspirin. I don't stop bleeding if I cut or scratch myself. I scratched my leg last week when foot didn't engage in pedal....and that minor scrape filled my sock with blood....before I got it stopped. So now I ride a little better prepared for a scratch. Don't like to think about risk of head or internal injury. Have stopped riding with my geriatric friends. And mostly stick to almost deserted wide trails around here.
I'm nervous about that too. Although I did read there is now an approved antidote shot for Brilinta at hospitals ( cost ~$25k). So I will take it slow and as the weather gets colder here ride the indoor trainer until (hopefully) I can stop taking the thinner. BUT I do want to get on a bike outside once to clear the mental hurdle.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:14 PM

I've had to come back from a few surgeries myself and I'll admit that recovery is as much psychological as it is physical.
Getting back on the bike from a cyclist stand point is understood. One's family may think differently and I thought I was spoiled or immature for wanting to ride a bike.
After going to physical therapy I realized that it's only natural for someone to want to get back to their routine, I heard questions like can I get back to golf, running and tennis

The best answer I was told was by my PT, I could get on the bike and be a Ferrari for a short time then you'll be a broken down chevette
So you need to find a way to be a Toyota forever

Its been a long road for me but I believe in cycling strength and I dig deep to find it
I have learned to compromise, less time, distance and no racing anyone not even the little girls with pink helmets

Finally I'm grateful for learning more about my body and myself than I knew I had inside of me
This was a story more about recovery than cardiovascular surgery and maybe it will help someone

Good luck to everyone