Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2020, 03:02 PM
Total Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Perhaps this thread should be renamed "The irrational desire to ride a Calfee"
Or deride Calfee.

Anyone ride a Calfee compared to other lugged CF like Look, Colnago, Time, etc? I love my C-40 and C-50. Would have kept the KG 491 SL if the HTA was a bit more slack. Never really got into the webbed lugs of the Calfee.

Tai
Old 06-07-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidWok View Post
Or deride Calfee.

Anyone ride a Calfee compared to other lugged CF like Look, Colnago, Time, etc? I love my C-40 and C-50. Would have kept the KG 491 SL if the HTA was a bit more slack. Never really got into the webbed lugs of the Calfee.

Tai
I have. I had a tetra pro for several years, as well as a Colnago C50 and a Colnago Extreme Power.

I'd be lying if I said I could notice a difference of feel between the frames. Its more about quality and bling.

I'm a pretty firm believer that if you take two frames from different manufacturers, set them up with the same contact points, same wheels and tire pressure, most people will not be able to tell them apart.

Just my .02
Old 06-07-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidWok View Post
Or deride Calfee.

Tai
I also have a Bianchi 928 lugged carbon and had a look kg481sl. My look cracked and I sold it to a friend but I liked how it rode. The Bianchi is the stiffest and the best for mobbing. The look handled the best. The calfee has the smoothest ride.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
I have. I had a tetra pro for several years, as well as a Colnago C50 and a Colnago Extreme Power.

I'd be lying if I said I could notice a difference of feel between the frames. Its more about quality and bling.

I'm a pretty firm believer that if you take two frames from different manufacturers, set them up with the same contact points, same wheels and tire pressure, most people will not be able to tell them apart.

Just my .02
Agree...
Old 06-07-2020, 08:51 PM

Just wanted to chime back in here and say that TPC took care of things over the weekend, in under 24 hours, and found a reasonable solution that will result in the new owner getting a bit more of a discount on this already unbelievably pristine and sweet frameset..

Mistakes get made, it's the resolution of them that matters.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Just wanted to chime back in here and say that TPC took care of things over the weekend, in under 24 hours, and found a reasonable solution that will result in the new owner getting a bit more of a discount on this already unbelievably pristine and sweet frameset..

Mistakes get made, it's the resolution of them that matters.
Bummer it didn't work out. TPC is usually quite accurate in their measurements...it stands to reason that they would have to be in order to sell as many bikes as they do.

So glad they rectified the mistake. Things happen. Hope you can find another.

I really like my Tetra-Pro. Very smooth, quiet, great handling, well balanced and pretty reactive to power inputs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2020, 08:38 PM
The bass playing cyclist

If you really want to make sure your Calfee is the right size, just build it yourself!

https://calfeedesign.com/calfee-bamboo-diy-kit/
Old 06-11-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPOJoe View Post
If you really want to make sure your Calfee is the right size, just build it yourself!

https://calfeedesign.com/calfee-bamboo-diy-kit/
That has got to be one of the strangest frame offerings I have ever seen. What could go wrong?

Tim

Old 06-11-2020, 10:44 AM

Just to pile on, I loved my Tetra Pro for the many thousands of miles that I put on it commuting and riding for pleasure the 7 years that I had it. It never failed to attract attention at the various charity/fund-raising events that I rode in due to the "hey I've never seen one of those" type reactions.

But that said, having replaced it with a more modern frame (2015 Cannondale Synapse HiMod) there is definitely a difference and a positive one from my experience. I've got almost a thousand miles on the Synapse already and it's just more responsive and certainly stiffer while not being a jackhammer.

Bottom line, I never felt like I was missing anything riding the Calfee and would have loved to replace it with another. But unfortunately I generally buy used and there was nothing available in my size when it needed replacing at a cost that I could afford. And I admit, I love the Synapse.

Old Ride

New Ride