Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Brifters on a riv? How many demerits that
and a newfangled cyclo-computer

Last edited by dancinkozmo; 01-09-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
" I have two jobs at Rivendell. In order of importance to ME, they are:

Keep good people employed. This has changed from my initial “support a family.”
“Create” useful bikes and bike stuff that wouldn’t be made if we weren’t here.

The two are linked, I think. I don’t think we could survive if we went all disc-brake carbon gravel bikes, or made trail bikes of the kind I see all over the hills I ride in. What’s the formula there? Matte black, slash of orange or chartreuse, six-inches of travel, Fox rear shocks, disc brakes, dropper post, click pedals, micro-brew habit. Plus, as the song went, I’d rather drive a truck."
- from their blog thing

dude is clueless. people don't want the bikes he is selling... and that is clear because they keep asking for money. what he also does not get is that he doesnt have to make carbon bikes or half the crap he is talking. Take a look at crust... or the likes... make bikes that are riv inspired but change em up a bit. What is funny is that for a while there was this hole in the industry... everyone wanted something like the elephant NFE... and no one was making it, this went for a good year or 2. You had rawland (which is also a terrible company and failed miserably at making bikes for those 2 years, promising people stuff, ect) and you had elephant (great guys but just could not make enough bikes and ended up with a huge queue)... thats it... I can not believe someone did not come in and take the demand and make bikes people wanted. well crust kind of did, endpoint did.. a bit later but that happened.

now there is still some demand for racks, like the haulin colin style rack... still no one making them... there is opportunity and no one is taking it. A company like rivendell that actually has contacts to make these things and people to sell em to.

And now we are here.... sorry for the ramble but this is kinda ridiculous.
His response proves it's all Dogma at this point. Dude should have started a magazine instead of a bike company, or whatever it is he started.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:20 PM

If I was still selling straight skis and rear entry boots I'd be hurting too

Some tech advancements are useless, but some really change the game for your customers. The market will sort that out. Stick for a front mech? Meh, I don't care how fit you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
I read all of that and wow, twenty to thirty years in the past, entrenched in it and not entertaining trying to change. OK.

They are living on hope that they have enough like minded customers to maintain the place. I wish them well but anybody reading that would be hesitant to sink six figures into that operation.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:29 PM

Had Rivendell had the wherewithal in 2012 to come out with a bike like the SOMA Wolverine (yes with disc brakes) I dare say we would not be having this conversation. It made too much sense.

Last edited by charliedid; 01-09-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:33 PM

Can't Stand Still, Weeds Will Grow Between The Toes

Quote:
If I was still selling straight skis and rear entry boots I'd be hurting too

Some tech advancements are useless, but some really change the game for your customers. The market will sort that out. Stick for a front mech? Meh, I don't care how fit you are
HA! Agree.

To read that blog it's as if everything stopped in1990 or earlier. A person born in 1990 is now 29 years old and they ain't shopping vintage derailleurs for a new bike in masse.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
His response proves it's all Dogma at this point. Dude should have started a magazine instead of a bike company, or whatever it is he started.
What he started was a religious cult. Nobody should be surprised when from time to time he passes the collection plate.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
" I don’t think we could survive if we went all disc-brake carbon gravel bikes, or made trail bikes of the kind I see all over the hills I ride in. What’s the formula there? Matte black, slash of orange or chartreuse, six-inches of travel, Fox rear shocks, disc brakes, dropper post, click pedals, micro-brew habit. Plus, as the song went, I’d rather drive a truck." - from their blog thing
yes, to me this is foolish to say. Even if he doesnt want to sell modern kit, it doesnt make sense to hurl stones at what other people choose to ride. we're all out there riding bikes and that's a good thing. presumably, some people who ride rivendell stuff also ride modern bikes, so to tell them they are wrong is not a good public statement.

contrast that to Jan at Compass. All compass sells is retro-type gear, but Jan seems happy to ride modern disc bikes, post about it on insta, and sell his world class tires to anyone who wants to ride them. compass tires wind up on everything from the most modern bike to the 1970's stuff - it's all good and his tires ride great on all of them. that's a winning formula IMO.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:55 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Brifters on a riv? How many demerits that
Along with way wrong bolts on down tube cable stops..c'mon!! gotta have some proper bolts in that drawer of bolts..they DO reproduce, ya know.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
yes, to me this is foolish to say. Even if he doesn't want to sell modern kit, it doesn't make sense to hurl stones at what other people choose to ride. we're all out there riding bikes and that's a good thing. presumably.
Yup, never makes sense, as you 'market' YOUR product, to slam the competitor rather than extol the virtues of what YOU are selling..
Old 01-10-2019, 07:42 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
What he started was a religious cult. Nobody should be surprised when from time to time he passes the collection plate.
yes but religious cults are able to extract a lot of money from the followers, seems like its not the case here anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
yes, to me this is foolish to say. Even if he doesnt want to sell modern kit, it doesnt make sense to hurl stones at what other people choose to ride. we're all out there riding bikes and that's a good thing. presumably, some people who ride rivendell stuff also ride modern bikes, so to tell them they are wrong is not a good public statement.

contrast that to Jan at Compass. All compass sells is retro-type gear, but Jan seems happy to ride modern disc bikes, post about it on insta, and sell his world class tires to anyone who wants to ride them. compass tires wind up on everything from the most modern bike to the 1970's stuff - it's all good and his tires ride great on all of them. that's a winning formula IMO.
Good post bringing Jan into the picture. No one loves older bikes more than Jan and he will probably still tell you that an old Herse will ride better than a new - insert your brand here - but there he is out there ridding his disc FF. I remember when people gave him crap because he enjoyed the hell out of a carbon specialized and put it in the mag, he loved ridding the OPEN and the 3T gravel bike, ect and yes, compass makes amazing tires. Also, the "retro" products compass makes are imo pretty damn cool, the herse cranks, the super light canti brakes, lights, ect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yup, never makes sense, as you 'market' YOUR product, to slam the competitor rather than extol the virtues of what YOU are selling..
100%

And the thing is, it seems like we are all here bashing Grant P... and he may be even reading this. I just think people like Rivendell and why they are even commenting on what is going on. I bet most want riv to succeed, so many here donated or bought stuff last time, but little blog jabs at what people ride and certain other things are putting people off.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:56 AM
ZhugeLiang

So pretty....courtesy of Vonruden pal

Old 01-10-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
This is ridiculous. Putting 20 bucks in for bike parts is not a donation, you're buying something.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
This is ridiculous. Putting 20 bucks in for bike parts is not a donation, you're buying something.
Except for both last and this year there were plenty of examples of people saying they'd throw in with no plans to buy anything, but to merely support the cause as it were.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Except for both last and this year there were plenty of examples of people saying they'd throw in with no plans to buy anything, but to merely support the cause as it were.
What people decide to do with a credit has nothing to do with the owner. He asked for folks to drop some cash now if they figured they'd spend it later anyway. Posting on a forum that someone is asking for donations when they did not is a lie.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:11 AM

Check It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
What people decide to do with a credit has nothing to do with the owner. He asked for folks to drop some cash now if they figured they'd spend it later anyway. Posting on a forum that someone is asking for donations when they did not is a lie.
He said last and this year, last year was the handout.
Closed Thread