Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2020, 02:31 PM

I started riding again this spring to try to get my mind off things at work in the hospital. It helped lots. Started putting in some mileage and an old knee issue flared up. I'm starting PT for that next week.

I linked up with the local collegiate team and I have permission from the ECCC to race with them as a 'grad' student. My goal over the winter is to figure out the knee issue, rehab it, and try to get myself on track for a theoretical race season next year.

I have some lofty goals for the season:

1) Get back to the power I had in college.
-Reviewing old notes, I think I got up to 3.7 w/kg early on with power and got up to 4 w/kg before I stopped. I'm heavier now, but hoping to hit 240-250 by spring. It should be doable, my ramp tests have been going well but they always overestimate for me.

2) Get my weight down to 155 (currently 165) and then go back up to 160 with some lifting/yoga (depending on what's possible). I don't have any delusions of racing at 148-150 again. I have no interest in that at all.

3) Hit 1500W in a sprint. I've come close before, but never hit the number. In college I had a drag race sprint and my long duration sprint was an average of 1k W up until just over the 20 second mark afaik. I'd love to see that again.

4) Stay healthy. This is probably the most important of all the above because I quit riding and racing with chronic knee issues. Now 11-12 years later, I'd like to think that I'm a bit smarter and trying to keep it together with regard to how I'm doing.

I'd also like to end up with a nice endurance geometry bike so I can be more comfortable riding when I'm out solo training and for fun.

Outside of cycling, I'd love to get 1-2 weeks of snowboarding in this year if it's at all possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Not to get Covid
And that. And also crossing my fingers not to get 'drafted' back into the hospital this year.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:50 PM

Emptying my water bottles after each ride, make sure i did before each ride
Old 10-27-2020, 03:54 PM

Winter is coming - let's talk goals for 2021

Get through the whole Sweet Spot plan as complete as possible.

Few gravel events, if the situation allows.

Maybe some racing on Zwift.

Most importantly, stay as healthy as possible.

Last edited by nobuseri; 10-27-2020 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:19 PM

I usually set multiple goals, but for next year I decided to focus on one. A ride of the three local climbs for a total of 103 miles and 8,000+ feet of climbing. I’m not a natural climber so for me this would be a big achievement. I’ve put it on the calendar for the last week of July.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:41 PM

I had put much of my riding on hold while I focused on grad school while still working full time. Then I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease that is either Lupus or RA, more testing to follow. I've started back on my KICKR and trying to add more time every few days. I'm taking Plaquenil, that's fun.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:57 PM

Break 56:00 for my 40K TT........... Have to do it while I'm still 56 years old.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
SO happy to hear you came out the 'other side' alive. Scary stuff, I know. I have been dealing with AFIB for about 15 years..finally had a ablation.

"Just ride", good plan....Use Campagnolo, god will take care of ya.
thanks...hmmm, looked up ablation...

i might have angiogram to see if there was any damage done...i'll know in 4 to 8 weeks...depends what my cardiologist thinks after some tests...for now all seems good,...i'm hoping the fibrillation was a one time deal caused by the covid and i can move on...for me it has been angina and eventual stents when needed...

Last edited by picstloup; 10-27-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picstloup View Post
thanks...hmmm, looked up ablation...

i might have angiogram to see if there was any damage done...i'll know in 4 to 8 weeks...depends what my cardiologist thinks after some tests...for now all seems good,...i'm hoping the fibrillation was a one time deal caused by the covid and i can move on...for me it has been angina and eventual stents when needed...
Crossing my fingers that it's resolved!
Old 10-27-2020, 08:25 PM

Right now I'm mentally tired, same ton of annual riding but by myself 99.9% of the time. At this point I'm riding mainly to stay fit. I think I'll take a break in December and re-group and see what unfolds in 2021.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:00 PM

Avoid contact with doctors and the county coroner.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:19 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab123 View Post
I usually set multiple goals, but for next year I decided to focus on one. A ride of the three local climbs for a total of 103 miles and 8,000+ feet of climbing. I’m not a natural climber so for me this would be a big achievement. I’ve put it on the calendar for the last week of July.
Tell me more. I'm in PDX. Not that I will do the event (as I SUCK at climbing)...but I always am looking for diff.erent rides in the state
Old 10-28-2020, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
Avoid contact with doctors and the county coroner.
Hear that
Old 10-28-2020, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Tell me more. I'm in PDX. Not that I will do the event (as I SUCK at climbing)...but I always am looking for diff.erent rides in the state

There’s no organized event. I live in Sisters and decided to combine the climbs I do from my home into one big (for me) ride. I will start in the early morning with 242 to the observatory (the road with the most traffic in the summer), descend back to town, ride Three Creeks to the end of the pavement, descend back, and finish with Green Ridge (FS 11) to the end of the pavement and back to my house. My partner will meet me in a few spots to give me water and food.

I’m much better at Midwestern climbing: hills where you can see the top and power up. After about 10 years out here, I’m still getting used to settling in to a long climb. I’m slow so this will take me a LONG time.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:48 AM

Well, heading to the Doc in about an hour to finally address the knees I jacked up last year. Hoping a simple scoping will sort them out. If so the plan for next year is to get back on track with the miles and speed. Probabably not going to even hit 2500 miles this year which is pathetic for me and haven't gotten the pace on an of this years rides over 20 mph for the first year ever. I don't even have a single serious climbing ride into the mountains as I've been afraid to stress the knees.

So next year I need to get back to at least 5000 miles, get the speed back, the weight down, and get back to serious climbing. One goal will be to do the Powder Mt climb at least 4 times in the summer. Local HC rated climb that's only a little over 6 miles but gains over 3000 ft and hits over 20% grade. I want to own that sucker for at least one year before I get to old for this craziness.

Oh, and no more bikes. I've got 30 now that I'm rotating through, must learn restraint. We...unless the right Dave Kirk pops up. That was close this morning but with my longer legs I need a seattube a bit taller than the one in the classifieds, dang it!
Old 10-28-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Crossing my fingers that it's resolved!
thanks man, me too...