Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2020, 05:10 AM
aka RAEKWON

I personally think its fine, that area is probably pretty strong but you could always send it for repair, at least bike is black so would not even need a coat of paint. That said, I would ride it as is and keep an eye on it.

one reason I am done with carbon bikes for now. My last bike chain got sucked and did a number on the BB, it was fine to ride but metal is just much more stress free.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:28 AM
Randomhead

I don't see how that would be damage from anything other than the chain. Unless there is something wonky about the cassette on your trainer. It's ugly, but I think it's mostly cosmetic.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:09 AM
3D

Rear stay / derailleur hanger damage

The damages look non structural.
Perhaps it happened from the process of putting the wheel in where the cassette cog bit it. Maybe that’s when the wheel slipped in an angle. But then again carbon is pretty hard the force to have that happen would have to be a lot. So that theory is out.

Last edited by boywander; 10-26-2020 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:11 AM
Administrator

threads merged.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywander View Post
The damages look non structural.
Perhaps it happened from the process of putting the wheel in where the cassette cog bit it. Maybe that’s when the wheel slipped in an angle. But then again carbon is pretty hard the force to have that happen would have to be a lot. So that theory is out.
Don't take this the wrong way but my guess is user error in install/uninstall and using the trainer. I'd not worry about it and ride it.

I've done much worse

Last edited by charliedid; 10-26-2020 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:35 AM

Probably more aluminum than carbon in that spot.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:42 AM

Seriously do not put JB Weld on your carbon Pinarello.

I'd personally not be too concerned about it, maybe something like clear nail polish would ensure the carbon doesn't fray but carbon is incredibly thick there and it looks pretty superficial. Keep an eye on it, and definitely take it to get repaired if you get movement from your derailleur hanger as that would probably be your sign that the carbon is damaged and cracking, but if it's not making noise and it's shifting fine I'd have no problem riding it. Definitely try to figure out what caused that though, as I agree it seems like user error and you really don't want to continue to damage this.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:44 AM

Would this be a good time to revisit the expensive bike on the trainer conundrum It's getting close to winter

Chalk it up to user experience, it looks bad but it'll be fine. Unnoticeable even, just fix the problem. You could have dropped it in any number of ways and really broken something. The first cut is always the deepest, just like Cheryl Crow told -7
Old 10-26-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambers3 View Post
Poorly adjusted limit screw likely culprit.
It's most likely this. However, the freehub spacing on the trainer might be a little different than the wheel's freehub, and if it was adjusted correctly on the bike, it might be incorrect for the trainer. Either way it sucks. Not a big deal, but still sucks.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:29 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Would this be a good time to revisit the expensive bike on the trainer conundrum It's getting close to winter

After decades of my computrainer [have a pair still]. I have an old Alloy Spesh/Sirrus on there with one cog rear, one ring front, no brakes. Conti trainer rear tire and a rear wheel with cracked spoke bed on more spoke than I'd ride it laden on the road [by a lot]

Contact points & setback perfect for me, never take it off. It may not even have a headset in it if memory serves...

The single speed fine if your trainer is a smart trainer and always in egr mode FYI.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
After decades of my computrainer [have a pair still]. I have an old Alloy Spesh/Sirrus on there with one cog rear, one ring front, no brakes. Conti trainer rear tire and a rear wheel with cracked spoke bed on more spoke than I'd ride it laden on the road [by a lot]

Contact points & setback perfect for me, never take it off. It may not even have a headset in it if memory serves...

The single speed fine if your trainer is a smart trainer and always in egr mode FYI.
I did something very similar. I picked up a 2006 Fuji Cross Pro on Craigslist for $350. I stripped all the parts, sold them for about $350, and then built up the frameset with older, spare parts I had on hand. I replicated my road bike fit so there are no compromises on how the bike feels. It now does double duty as a trainer bike year-round and a fendered winter bike for salty road riding.

Greg
Old 10-26-2020, 11:18 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

You are still using your Computrainer too? I just ERG-VID re-subscribed anticipating wet/cold daze.

I also have a few wet bikes otherwise [and lots of room] so the Sirrus has not been off that frame for years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
I did something very similar. I picked up a 2006 Fuji Cross Pro on Craigslist for $350. I stripped all the parts, sold them for about $350, and then built up the frameset with older, spare parts I had on hand. I replicated my road bike fit so there are no compromises on how the bike feels. It now does double duty as a trainer bike year-round and a fendered winter bike for salty road riding.

Greg
Old 10-26-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
You are still using your Computrainer too? I just ERG-VID re-subscribed anticipating wet/cold daze.

I also have a few wet bikes otherwise [and lots of room] so the Sirrus has not been off that frame for years...
No Computrainer at my house. I'm still a bit of a luddite when it comes to smart trainers. I get through winter indoor training rides with Netflix, YouTube, Disney Plus, Amazon Prime, and old bike race videos.

Greg
Old 10-26-2020, 11:38 AM

Great it not structure damage and just the surface.. Can be touched up with black plastic steel epoxy.. just mask off area and remove bolt.. add epoxy on area and smooth out flat and apply plastic clear tape..(makes surface dry smooth when cured), let dry to cure, remove tape, sand with light sand paper if necessary and then ready to mask area and spray paint.. replace bolt.. will look near new...

Last edited by lemondvictoire; 10-26-2020 at 11:39 AM. Reason: xx
Old 10-26-2020, 12:23 PM
3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Don't take this the wrong way but my guess is user error in install/uninstall and using the trainer. I'd not worry about it and ride it.

I've done much worse
No worries. There's no telling when any of this happened before or after the OP brought it home.
Not likely the second since it would be obvious in the process.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk