Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2020, 07:13 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecherrypie View Post
Unfortunately I think it got associated with cheap bikes.
Ask an American about AL and it's 'they ride harsh' from the first couple generations of C-dales that DID ride harshly. AMHIK

Ask a Euro and they say 'they ride soft' from the first couple of generations of Alans.

I've got a Frank the Welder Dedacchai AL frame at the powder coaters. Can't wait to try it out

M
Old 10-26-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattre View Post
I'm seriously considering that SBC Allroad. Let us know what you think of it. This Allez Sprint is easily one of the best riding bikes I've been on.
Will do. I’m just trying to figure out if I’m going to build it up as another budget build/1x or swap out the Record 11 pieces from the Storck and run it as a 2x.

That is one great looking Allez!
Old 10-26-2020, 09:35 AM

Outside of a couple of mountain bikes, there aren't any aluminum bikes in the garage at the moment. In addition to the usual CAAD road series Cannondales, over the years I've also had a Quattro Assi, a couple of De Rosas, and a Peg Fina Estampa that were constructed of aluminum. They were all great bikes. Much smoother riding than one would think given the reputation that the material has had.

Texbike
Old 10-26-2020, 09:43 AM
aka RAEKWON

my lobster in the infamous team green

Now has a ritchey superlogic seatpost and fulcrum clinchers instead of those tubs (boy did those look nice though) and on 28mm vittoria corsa rubber which is my favorite. Will eventually get some EEs when I can find a set for a resonable price. Oh and blacked out enve decals. I would rather have paint to match fork but I am om with a black fork too.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:46 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by primov8 View Post
Will do. I’m just trying to figure out if I’m going to build it up as another budget build/1x or swap out the Record 11 pieces from the Storck and run it as a 2x.

That is one great looking Allez!
I would get an allez sprint in a heartbeat. love those. But do think the hype has them going for more money than they should be (on used market)
Old 10-26-2020, 10:04 AM

A bunch of closet Alu lovers.................. I'm at peace now. But I will never give up the Kirk or my own creations
Old 10-26-2020, 10:57 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
What makes anyone think "hi end" aluminum frames are better than low end? Such as the CAADs or others? Isn't that part of them problem? Perception? And fact many aluminum bikes come with low end parts?

I wouldn't swap my CAAD 10 for a Peg. I think lots more engineering went into the CAAD...even if it is cheap to buy.
Aluminium (of which I am also a huge fan) is no different than any other material in the sense that it depends on the engineering that actually goes into the frame.

So, simple, cheap, thick non/butted or hydroformed tubes made from aluminium just won't ride the same as those which are. The thing with the majority of the CAAD line and it's history, is that with exception of a small % of lower tiered CAAD frames, the parent-line frames were no different at the highest end from the lowest end, meaning that the low end was very, very good. The only difference was the OEM kit.

So, a parent-line CAAD10 from, say, 2015, was equivalently a class-leading offering as their carbon models were intended (just in different materials, with different characteristics).

But, that's not true with all manufacturers. Many would have significant differences in the aluminium, the shaping of the tubes and the construction of the frame, such that a low end one was truly low end and the high end was significantly better.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:52 AM

I probably won't be able to list all my AL bikes but I'll try.

Cannondales: SM800; M900; (2) M800; 3.0 MTB; Delta V 900; (2) XR800; CAAD8 CX; (3) Silk Road; (6) touring; (2)1987 Crit frame SR600; several each of 3.0 and 2.8 series road or TT frames; at least (8) CAAD3,4,5,7,9 road frames.

Trek: 7000 and 3700 MTBs

Klein: Aeolus TT bike

Fuji: Professional road

Pinarello: Prince

Performance hybrid

Serotta AL road

Kinesis Nova road

Tsunami road

Torelli Spada road

Kavic Lola road

Marin San Remo road

Must be getting close to 50 AL frames. Several remain unbuilt but I've enjoyed riding most of them. Kavic is probably the most rarely seen so I'll post a picture. Anodized Easton frame by a builder in AZ, sadly out of business.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kavic Lola right full.jpg (139.3 KB, 363 views)
Old 10-26-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I've got a Frank the Welder Dedacchai AL frame at the powder coaters. Can't wait to try it out

M
You're gonna love it! super responsive and lively.

and count me in as an AL fan boy. Spooky Mulholland seems to be my forever bike
Old 10-26-2020, 12:34 PM

Have an Aluminum LeMond I enjoy, however this has to be my favourite Aluminum bike.

Old 10-26-2020, 12:36 PM

Teaser pic of a build I have coming - long live aluminum and long live mother's!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0863.jpg (149.3 KB, 345 views)
Old 10-26-2020, 12:36 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Have an Aluminum LeMond I enjoy, however this has to be my favourite Aluminum bike.

dang, that thing looks SICK
Old 10-26-2020, 12:49 PM
Administrator

one thing is for sure, aluminum can be a very smooth, great ride, but it can also be very harsh. my cinelli is easily the harshest, stiffest, most uncomfortable bike i have ever ridden. sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes, it. is. not.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
one thing is for sure, aluminum can be a very smooth, great ride, but it can also be very harsh. my cinelli is easily the harshest, stiffest, most uncomfortable bike i have ever ridden. sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes, it. is. not.
I envision a dominatrix standing over you shouting "You've been a very naughty boy! Now, go out and ride that Cinelli! On chip seal! At 120 psi!"
Old 10-26-2020, 01:12 PM

Here's one you don't see very often...totally changed my opinion of what is possible with a beer can bike.

Boreas Ignis