Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2020, 04:32 PM

While I have never owned any Rapha I regret, this may be my most used, most versatile item & I own the old version. Love this jacket, but it is not a rain jacket.

https://www.backcountry.com/castelli...hoCM1kQAvD_BwE
Old 10-18-2020, 05:04 PM

Goretex infinium is not waterproof.

The latest Castelli gabba are also made with this. Bought a vest and a jacket. Both are very good and come in bright colors unlike the Rapha and Assos stuff as of late which is a deal breaker for me. Castelli is also cheaper.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:22 PM

While we're on the topic of gore-tex infinium, has anyone used the C5 Thermo jackets? Looks nice, and comes in some bright colors. Reviews aren't easy to find at all, though.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:42 AM

I was expecting Shakedry in bright colours for this winter. Haven't seen anything so far.

These articles are a year ago. All promise and no-show;

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/26...d-we-cant-wait

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/11/gore...bright-colors/
Old 10-19-2020, 08:18 AM

If you are looking for a bright color rain jacket again check Velocio.

https://velocio.cc/collections/rain/...ht-rain-jacket

It is not as light as a shake dry jacket but it has bright colors.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:10 AM

I generally go for a multi piece ensemble - Base layer (non-merino for me) a "winter" jersey, and an outer shell that meets the days weather demands. I am not super concerned with total water proofing, since the rest of me will get wet quicker, but I understand the need to keep some of the elements out. My current cold weather set up is a Rapha rain cape, a Rapha insulated jersey jacket and a base. I will switch to the long sleeve thermal jersey and shadow jacket for warmer temps. The Rapha Shadow jacket is awesome, its stretchy.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
If you are looking for a bright color rain jacket again check Velocio.

https://velocio.cc/collections/rain/...ht-rain-jacket

It is not as light as a shake dry jacket but it has bright colors.
These are good looking but I find that I in fact never use my fully waterproof rain jackets because these days I do not ride when steady rain is expected. So the Gabba style is the best for me.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
These are good looking but I find that I in fact never use my fully waterproof rain jackets because these days I do not ride when steady rain is expected. So the Gabba style is the best for me.
I had the rain vest and rarely used it in the rain. It substitutes for a nice winter jacket too. But I prefer the soft shell jacket.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I had the rain vest and rarely used it in the rain. It substitutes for a nice winter jacket too. But I prefer the soft shell jacket.
I have a rain jacket/shell that I rarely use, it is lightweight and offers no insulation. For my riding conditions (dry and cold) a winter jacket needs to offer some insulation, so a soft-shell seems like a good option. What are you using for a soft-shell winter jacket?
Old 10-19-2020, 05:55 PM

I love by my Rapha winter gear. It's warm and light and brings me joy to wear. Agree to wait until their holiday sale, it's not far away. I've got some long sleeves, their windblock jersey, and classic rain jacket, and I've got nothing but great things to say.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:40 AM

Is this a comparable alternative to the Rapha?

https://www.assos.com/MILLE-GT-Ultra....jpg&color=145
Old 10-20-2020, 10:17 AM

Rapha makes very, very nice things. Their winter stuff has always been top-notch.

Two watch areas: sizing and style.

On sizing, they drive me nuts. For one person, I find it very disconcerting that I need three different sizes of Rapha things -- L, XL, and XXL. SO I highly recommend that you try, or if you can't and you have the funds, order two different sizes and plan to return one. I mention this as they have a habit (as with almost all bike attire manufacturers) of doing very limited runs and there's a good chance they'll run out of a certain size, especially if an item is popular.

As for the style, they seem to bounce around a fair deal. Odd colors, they can change a lot year-to-year, and they seem unsure as to whether they want to stay with the classic look, go full-on-millenial chic, or bounce around in between. I find that if I like a Rapha thing, I need to get it right away, because next season's version may be a different cut or a different color.

Beyond that, as I said above, lovely stuff. I have some Rapha items that I've kept for years.

As for winter jackets, I find theirs too heavy and too warm. I like the Cafe du Cycliste jackets, though they are not waterproof.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien View Post
Rapha makes very, very nice things. Their winter stuff has always been top-notch.

Two watch areas: sizing and style.

On sizing, they drive me nuts. For one person, I find it very disconcerting that I need three different sizes of Rapha things -- L, XL, and XXL. SO I highly recommend that you try, or if you can't and you have the funds, order two different sizes and plan to return one. I mention this as they have a habit (as with almost all bike attire manufacturers) of doing very limited runs and there's a good chance they'll run out of a certain size, especially if an item is popular.

As for the style, they seem to bounce around a fair deal. Odd colors, they can change a lot year-to-year, and they seem unsure as to whether they want to stay with the classic look, go full-on-millenial chic, or bounce around in between. I find that if I like a Rapha thing, I need to get it right away, because next season's version may be a different cut or a different color.

Beyond that, as I said above, lovely stuff. I have some Rapha items that I've kept for years.

As for winter jackets, I find theirs too heavy and too warm. I like the Cafe du Cycliste jackets, though they are not waterproof.
Which CdC jackets do you like?

Last edited by jpw; 10-20-2020 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheart View Post
I have a rain jacket/shell that I rarely use, it is lightweight and offers no insulation. For my riding conditions (dry and cold) a winter jacket needs to offer some insulation, so a soft-shell seems like a good option. What are you using for a soft-shell winter jacket?
Thermo regulation is super important to me. Temperatures where I ride can swing quite a bit and the difference being it near freezing fog and clear skies is unbelievable unless you experience it. Plus, a lot of my rides at 2000+ climbs and descents. So, not getting too hot going up and staying warm going down plus all the microclimates make thermoregulation so important. The Velocio soft-shell jacket offers a light pile. I can be over a jersey of simply as a heavy jersey. It thermo regulates very well. The high neck collar really traps in body heat when you need it and simply unzipping it a bit can cool you down a lot. The big zipper allows you to unzip and zip with one gloved hand. It is plenty wind resistant too.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Thermo regulation is super important to me. Temperatures where I ride can swing quite a bit and the difference being it near freezing fog and clear skies is unbelievable unless you experience it. Plus, a lot of my rides at 2000+ climbs and descents. So, not getting too hot going up and staying warm going down plus all the microclimates make thermoregulation so important. The Velocio soft-shell jacket offers a light pile. I can be over a jersey of simply as a heavy jersey. It thermo regulates very well. The high neck collar really traps in body heat when you need it and simply unzipping it a bit can cool you down a lot. The big zipper allows you to unzip and zip with one gloved hand. It is plenty wind resistant too.
This is good to know. What temperature range do you ride the velocio in, and how do you find the visiblity (I.e., is the red 'bright' or BRIGHT)? I think they only have yellow for 2020, and it isn't quite out yet.