Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2020, 09:20 PM

OT: Anyone planning to get the new iPhone?

After 2 years of Android experiment I am ready to come back.

Based on the release yesterday I think I will go with the standard iPhone 12 vs the Pro.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2020, 09:22 PM

The iPhone 12 Mini seems very attractive to me. I am ready for a small sized phone that’s not a couple of years behind the flagship. I like to comfortably fit one in the jersey pockets

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2020, 09:24 PM

I just got the 11 pro last November so probably not. I'm still happy with it.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:28 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

What's an "iPhone?"

Old 10-14-2020, 09:41 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

12 mini for me, wish there was a 12 Pro mini but it's OK, finally a smaller iPhone! SE2 is going on the chopping block for me closer to launch day.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:53 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
I just got the 11 pro last November so probably not. I'm still happy with it.
I am too. 5G will take awhile. Every phone is incrementally better, and takes it's place on the mantle as "best iPhone ever". I cannot get caught up in the arms race. as evidenced by this. my 3rd iphone. 3G, 5 (yes FIVE. period. not 5s or SE) and now 11 Pro 256.

I got it through an AAPL employee so her discount offset the Apple Care. Which, I felt compelled to get since it cost more than some used Bora One 35s.

The screaming deal though is the iPhone SE 2020 128gb at Walmart...still $200 off so $250+tax.

If you love your phone sure get the 12. Everyone else get the new SE. it's the A13 chip in the body of the 8
Old 10-14-2020, 10:33 PM

last week had to go to phone store to upgrade my old cell phone (motorola android), and the new splashy i-phones were there for $1.1k. a thousand bucks. for a cell phone. i was blown away (and had no idea they were that much $).

i walked out with a free samsung s20 5g thing that serves my needs: phone, map, text, camera, email, streaming audio pushed out to a bluetooth speaker and occasional web usage.

the very nice phone store rep seemed perplexed at my basic phone needs, and that i don't completely fill my day using dozens of apps and stare at the little device all day.

instead, i spend umpteen hours a day at work while on phone or staring at a computer, using immensely complex (as well as simple stuff) computer programs for my day job. last thing in world i want or need is to stare at a phone using an app to make my life "better."

really have no idea what the value proposition is of a $1k phone or what need a gazilllion apps out there fills for people. there's probably an app just to organize and store apps.

i think it's official: i'm getting old.

p.s. it's saddening to be out at restaurant with friends and look over to see a couple or a family all sitting there staring at their phones.

Last edited by 54ny77; 10-14-2020 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
12 mini for me, wish there was a 12 Pro mini but it's OK, finally a smaller iPhone! SE2 is going on the chopping block for me closer to launch day.
Same here, going to preorder the mini, a mini pro would epic.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:44 PM

mini... I want. I'm still using a 6
Old 10-15-2020, 01:40 AM

I upgrade on a 2 year cycle because we get a good discount from work. I used to sell the one replaced and the secondary market value always offset the cost, so it was like a free to cheap upgrade every 2 years. My wife do the same thing with AT&T before they switch to the monthly plan model (which is not a good deal at all.)

During the last cycle I got the XR, gave it to her and she kept the 7 (unlocked) to be used when she visit China. I picked up a Motorola Z Force 2 on sale to try Android. That was supposed to be a good phone but somehow I get nothing but troubles. So much so that I am actually counting days until my upgrade window.

Also in my ecosystem (family/friends,) 95% uses iPhones and it is just more convenient.

So this time I will get the new phone, two years later I will get the new one for my wife, etc...
Old 10-15-2020, 02:29 AM

Good to see smaller phones being more popular again (SE, pixel 4a etc). Number 1 criteria for me is something that fits well in a jersey pocket
Old 10-15-2020, 03:27 AM

Mini.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:42 AM

I have a XS but will investigate the new one if it’s smaller than my current device. Mini only for me.

I miss my 5S with its flat sides and smaller size and this one fits the bill.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:42 AM

ThIs is the first launch in 10 years I’m not going to upgrade (on a 2 year upgrade cycle).

The mini does look really cool though, I’ve just put my personal phone aside since I’m now able to run two phone numbers on one phone.

I think they all look great (compared with the round edges we’ve had for a few years) but I keep reminding myself that in the real world they get stuck under a case and all look the same.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:52 AM

I’m upgrading from the 6s! It should feel like a huge leap.

I’m thinking of getting the Pro. I sold my Ricoh GR2 and an old Sony A7 in anticipation for the purchase. I used to take these cameras on trips only to realize they’d stay in the bag.