Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2020, 02:10 PM

So clean! Great to see such innovation coming from a fairly small company
Old 09-08-2020, 02:33 PM

For how long has 22 been testing this design in real world riding conditions?

I still have a hard time looking at their seat stay bridge design. So brutal.

Last edited by jpw; 09-08-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Couldn't have looked very effectively/hard every body from Earl's to Alibaba sells dry break couplings. Maybe you were looking for "hydraulic brake cable" when they are actually "lines" or "hose".
Put up or shut up. Link me to a solution akin to this No22 device that allows quick and repeated connection/disconnection of hydraulic bicycle brake lines midway between lever and brake.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:07 PM

The new coupling system is nice and seamless. And I love the idea of only needing a 6mm allen key, but "unsightly" externally routed cables would be better for ease of maintenance and reliability.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
The new coupling system is nice and seamless. And I love the idea of only needing a 6mm allen key, but "unsightly" externally routed cables would be better for ease of maintenance and reliability.

The only cables are hydraulic as these are all set up with E-tap. Not sure if they plan on making a non electronic version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Put up or shut up. Link me to a solution akin to this No22 device that allows quick and repeated connection/disconnection of hydraulic bicycle brake lines midway between lever and brake.
Here you are! Titanium to boot!

Yes, 22's marketing mumbo jumbo for development means they screwed a pre existing coupling to the brake line, nothing new or innovative.

https://www.b-gdirect.com/Aeroflow-T...ease-Dry-Break

You want inexpensive? $49.00

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32874549444.html

Last edited by m_sasso; 09-08-2020 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Have you connected those to a Shimano hydraulic line? It's not immediately clear to me whether those products are the right size, or what other parts I would need to make it work.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:14 PM
Vendor

Quote:

Here you are! Titanium to boot!

Yes, 22's marketing mumbo jumbo for development means they screwed a pre existing coupling to the brake line, nothing new or innovative.

https://www.b-gdirect.com/Aeroflow-T...ease-Dry-Break

You want inexpensive? $49.00

Thanks for posting those. I never went into a deep dive for something like that. I'm not a fan of the SRAM one cause it lets air in. I'll have to get some of these to try.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Agree....Travel bike which means probably not your main ride, just something to smash around on for a few days..I think something like a Ritchey(less $ for a whole frame/fork) or S&S, which includes the suitcase, is a 'better' idea. BUT very elegant design..Altho the QR hydro things 'probably' work well..if they DON'T, you are pretty stuck..ain't gonna bleed the brakes in your hotel room..

IF I were to travel with a bike, I'd opt for a Ritchey cross, canti bike..slam it around, ride anywhere..simple, cheaper.

IMHO
I’ve always thought the Ritchey design was the better compared to the S&S- this coming from having a Ti CX and roadie with S&S. I haven’t looked in awhile (years TBH) but had Ritchey made a full Ti road or CX Break-Away when I was in the market, I would likely have bought it.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:59 PM

Thanks for all the comments and interest in this, everyone. And maybe let's all just exhale and take a step back.

Yes, the "Brake Break" exists for other hydraulic hose applications. Allegations of our "marketing mumbo jumbo" aside, in our own website we describe it as "borrowing its construction from motorcycle motorsports brake hose quick-disconnects". We took something that was proven in other hydraulic brake applications and had it sized to work with bicycle brake hoses. We're not messing around with AliExpress parts in brake lines, and I don't know that there's such a coupler that will easily work with bicycle brake fittings, but if there are other solutions to the rear brake coupling problem that you want to use that's great.

Our intent with this coupler option was to deliver the most refined coupler solution available, and I think we've nailed it. It's strong, quiet, easy to use without special tools and opens up the option of running hydraulic discs where that option didn't really exist before. In the end, we get to make what I think is a better coupler bike in every way, and the rider of that bike benefits from those improvements.

This is a key refinement in several areas that we're very proud of, but that's all it is.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:04 PM

Hello Mike thanks for stopping in with the comments on your new product.

I haven't been to your web site, took the "marketing mumbo jumbo" from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

"One of the exciting things we were able to develop is a hydraulic brake line coupler, so in the down tube there is a devise in there....."

No reference to aerospace or motorsports and no mention of the actual device name "dry break coupler" which I believe was invented by Emco Wheaton in the 1950s.

Like they say, its how you use what you are given that counts, confident the big guys will be on your tail shortly if you are selling them and making money.

I am a stay at home, cable brake guy, that once raced cars, so likely won't be shopping for travel bikes however hope you sell lots of bikes and couplers to people looking for them.

Last edited by m_sasso; 09-08-2020 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Corrections
Old 09-08-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Hello Mike thanks for stopping in with the comments on your new product.

I haven't been to your web site, took the "marketing mumbo jumbo" from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

"One of the exciting things we were able to develop is a hydraulic brake line coupler, so in the down tube there is a devise in there....."

No reference to aerospace or motorsports and no mention of the actual device name "dry break coupler" which applied for world wide patent in 1973.

Like they say, its how you use what you are given that counts.

I am a stay at home, cable brake guy, that once raced autos, so likely won't be shopping for travel bikes however hope you sell lots of bikes and couplers to people looking for them.

This is from the link above.

“Borrowing its construction from motorcycle motorsports brake hose quick-disconnects, the Brake Break allows instant, tools-free connecting and disconnecting of the bike’s hydraulic brake hose”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2020, 11:29 AM

I remember seeing Formula showing their speedlock at Interbike almost a decade ago but it seemed to die on the vine and was meant to couple at the caliper. This mid-line adaptation is a big improvement....
and of course, Formula also "borrowed" the idea.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Mike View Post
Thanks for all the comments and interest in this, everyone. And maybe let's all just exhale and take a step back.

Yes, the "Brake Break" exists for other hydraulic hose applications. Allegations of our "marketing mumbo jumbo" aside, in our own website we describe it as "borrowing its construction from motorcycle motorsports brake hose quick-disconnects". We took something that was proven in other hydraulic brake applications and had it sized to work with bicycle brake hoses. We're not messing around with AliExpress parts in brake lines, and I don't know that there's such a coupler that will easily work with bicycle brake fittings, but if there are other solutions to the rear brake coupling problem that you want to use that's great.

Our intent with this coupler option was to deliver the most refined coupler solution available, and I think we've nailed it. It's strong, quiet, easy to use without special tools and opens up the option of running hydraulic discs where that option didn't really exist before. In the end, we get to make what I think is a better coupler bike in every way, and the rider of that bike benefits from those improvements.

This is a key refinement in several areas that we're very proud of, but that's all it is.
Hey Mike

At first glance it would appear that this is a No22 design (no mention otherwise) but as many pointed out it seems to be the same as (or extremely similar) to the Santana coupler. What's the connection?
Old 09-09-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Hey Mike

At first glance it would appear that this is a No22 design (no mention otherwise) but as many pointed out it seems to be the same as (or extremely similar) to the Santana coupler. What's the connection?
We attempted to work with Santana to utilize their design, unfortunately as it was designed to support tandem tube lengths/spans, it was overbuilt for our application and did not allow passage of the Brake Break. It's obviously a similar design - an interlocking coupler (nothing novel), but with a scarf-style design to interlock in across the vertical and horizontal axis.