Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2020, 05:06 PM

No22 coupled system

I was able to stop by the shop the other day and see this new setup. It is awesome and really well thought out. From their blog. https://22bicycles.com/blogs/news/in...e9JDj-L0GP0Z6c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2020, 05:15 PM

Looks slick! Thanks for posting. Any idea of added weight?
I really wonder if I will travel again on a plane with a bike.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:15 PM

interesting for sure

and elegant. wondering about those sharp teeth and the chances those will be susceptible to break or bend? wonder if they will license?
Old 09-07-2020, 05:17 PM
Vendor

Santana invented this I think like 5 or 6 years ago for their tandems. It's a really nice design.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:21 PM
Administrator

wow, that's really cool, and pretty innovative of them.

to be honest, i'm a little skeptical of the whole thing as it looks pretty complex, which is usually not the friend of the frequent traveller. it sounds good, but quick disconnects for hydraulic brakes, all this internal routed kit and a very intricate geometry at the interface is just a recipe for a LOT going on to deal with in a hotel room at 3AM before the big ride tomorrow.

i know that cost is a very subjective thing, but IMO, some things are just getting out of hand, especially for a travel bike. my opinion is, and always has been, that a travel bike will get beaten up, tossed around, dented, dinged and abused as part of the travel process.

this is a 1200 dollar upgrade to a standard Ti frame price from 22 - so it's a damned expensive bike to throw in a case and hope TSA is gentle with.

i'm not giving them a hard time, and i think it's awesome that they are re-thinking old tech, i'd like to hear some real world travel reports on these!
Old 09-07-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Looks slick! Thanks for posting. Any idea of added weight?
I really wonder if I will travel again on a plane with a bike.

I know it is significantly lighter that actual couplers. It does not look to have much added weight from what I could see!

Old 09-07-2020, 05:29 PM

what do you cover those end pieces with when...

you throw it in the case?
Old 09-07-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
wow, that's really cool, and pretty innovative of them.

to be honest, i'm a little skeptical of the whole thing as it looks pretty complex, which is usually not the friend of the frequent traveller. it sounds good, but quick disconnects for hydraulic brakes, all this internal routed kit and a very intricate geometry at the interface is just a recipe for a LOT going on to deal with in a hotel room at 3AM before the big ride tomorrow.

i know that cost is a very subjective thing, but IMO, some things are just getting out of hand, especially for a travel bike. my opinion is, and always has been, that a travel bike will get beaten up, tossed around, dented, dinged and abused as part of the travel process.

this is a 1200 dollar upgrade to a standard Ti frame price from 22 - so it's a damned expensive bike to throw in a case and hope TSA is gentle with.

i'm not giving them a hard time, and i think it's awesome that they are re-thinking old tech, i'd like to hear some real world travel reports on these!

From what I saw it is quite a simple process to assemble and disassemble this system. The internal coupler also looks to be an easier set up compared to the S&S of old. Pretty much plug and play from what I could see.

I think titanium is probably the best material for a travel bike given it’s durability and finish. When I crashed my Drifter last year the only damage was a broken spoke, out of true rear wheel and scuffed up hoods. The frame was surprisingly unaffected after being sent airborne at around 25-30mph and skidding down the road close to 50ft.

Price is always relative, but I thought it was priced competitively with what most companies charge for coupling a titanium frame?

Old 09-07-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Santana invented this I think like 5 or 6 years ago for their tandems. It's a really nice design.
That’s correct I believe. I saw it at NAHBS and it looked slick. Better looking than the S&S couplers, which I have and work well.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:58 PM

the photo above shows simpler coupler design

than the fancy toothy one on the website. are the shark teeth for looks or structure. simple's better.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
than the fancy toothy one on the website. are the shark teeth for looks or structure. simple's better.
May just have been the angle of the shots I took? The frame fits together like a puzzle piece would. I also got to see the bike from the video on a hook and once together it looks pretty seamless.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:07 PM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

These coupler are somewhat similar to what Santana developed. Not quite the same but very similar in concept. Santana’s appear to be a good bit more robust but the No 22 design looks plenty strong enough for a single bike.
I hope they sell a bunch of these!!!
Old 09-07-2020, 06:10 PM

I was really impressed by how slick the Santana system was, but they said it only came in tandem sized tubes.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:11 PM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

The teeth act as wedges that help pull the frame ends together as the locking screw is tightened. Very clean design an if all machining is done well once the joint is tightened you can barely tell where the joint is.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
Old 09-07-2020, 06:46 PM

Brilliant! The key to effective engineering is simplicity. Wonderfully thought out and implemented!