Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2020, 10:23 AM

After buying and using a lot of bags, I have happily settled with this set up.

The bag is a custom Rickshaw. It is 8 inches wide with the straps set at 2.5 inches apart so that they rest on the bar and not the bar tape. This bag will hold the Silca Pocket Impero.

I am using the Enve computer mount on my Enve stem and I have it set on the highest possible mount.

I can easily get into the bag for whatever I need and you can also see I have a light mounted on the accessory strap.

The Rickshaw (and Ornot) bags come with an interior plastic sleeve that keeps the bag round at all times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7686.jpg (84.2 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7687.jpg (82.4 KB, 389 views)
Old 10-05-2020, 11:50 AM

bigger bags / bikepacking

Anyone have big bag examples?
Old 10-05-2020, 12:08 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianWong View Post
I switched to a stem mount when I installed my Outer Shell bag. It worked with an out-front mount but works much better with the Garmin on the stem.

It's a terrific bag, though. Super easy to open/close. My friend and I both used one on a recent bikepacking trip. He kept his camera in there and was able to take it out while riding (even semi-techinical stuff).
yeah I have wanted one and was mentioned on a thread here recently and I decided to buy one but of course they were sold old. CHecked ebay and someone was selling one so I bought it.

I can get whatever I want out of a burrito bag but its a pain, specially if you want to get a camera out. Also hopefully you don't hit a bump and get all your crap launched out of the bag. That said, its not even the garmin that is the problem it is just the way the bags are how having to deal with a zipper instead of a flap. I miss my rando bag which was always so easy to get stuff out of and the outershell mimics that so should be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
I too have switched to a stem mount after adding a rando bag. Have to use the rack to mount the light now. Always enjoyed the over/under combo mount.

That new Route Works bag being advertised on the other thread seems to solve this issue...

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
That new bag looks nice for sure but not out yet, don't like the added hardware/having to buy multiple hardwares for different bikes, I also think its a bit ugly and on the heavy side. That said I think its a great idea and hope sells well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timto View Post
I switched to a small frame back - Pro Discover 3 L and find it's easier access when in motion (no sliding zipper sideways), closer (no reach past bar) and more stable (no bouncing) and allows your computer mount to stay out front... no regrets abandoning the barrel bag!
I have a frame bag already. Its great but I don't need all that space all the time and makes picking up the bike very annoying and it goes where my trusty frame pump is suppose to go. Don't get me wrong, its fantastic for when I need to carry more stuff on the bike but to me it is not a substitution to the handlebar bag. Oh also I get some rub (better with my new bag postcarry but still happens once in a while)

I also have tried top top bag and my knees rub on it.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:13 PM

I found this an excellent solution for out front mounts and front handlebar bags. Plus, Louis Joy makes an incredibly nice product. https://www.louisjoy.com/product-pag...-handlebar-bag
Old 10-05-2020, 12:15 PM

I run a big rando bag on one bike and a wald 137 basket bag on the other, so I'm not dissing front bags by any means. But why not just run a saddle bag on the faster road bikes instead of the tiny handlebar bags? Just for access while riding?
Old 10-05-2020, 12:28 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I found this an excellent solution for out front mounts and front handlebar bags. Plus, Louis Joy makes an incredibly nice product. https://www.louisjoy.com/product-pag...-handlebar-bag
This is nice and their stuff looks great but looks even a bigger pain to get your stuff out while ridding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
I run a big rando bag on one bike and a wald 137 basket bag on the other, so I'm not dissing front bags by any means. But why not just run a saddle bag on the faster road bikes instead of the tiny handlebar bags? Just for access while riding?
Yeah I want to access my stuff while I ride on that bike. I do have a saddle bag on my road bike and its perfect for tools and stuff and usually keep snacks in pockets. I want a bag to keep my camera and snacks and stuff on the gravel bike and want to access stuff quickly.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:56 PM
Deconditioned!

I don’t know. Maybe jersey pockets?Seems like everyone is allergic to the good old pocket. Nothing holds snacks better than a jersey pocket.

Caveat: I have a small assortment of bags...so no hate here. I have a full frame bag that I leave on one bike. I can cram stuff for days into it. I also have a smaller frame pack on the way that I’ll use instead of the burrito. I also have a revelate shrew seat bag (use for layers and gloves) that I have yet to use. I guess I’d use the burrito, small frame bag, and shrew for a century. Or, I could just use the full frame bag. Choices!

Interesting to watch trends (burrito bag). And the thought of using a larger seat bag and then have to hide from the kool kids.

I only have stem mounts so no issues if I have the burrito on there. I do think the burrito looks “cooler” than a larger seat bag.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:19 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

The Post Co bag works pretty nice since the flap is magnetic and a bit more out front. This makes for easy access riding with a computer out there.

Old 10-05-2020, 01:48 PM
aka RAEKWON

big fan of post carry, I have the frame bag and the bike bag and I agree that the handlebar bag is excellent but I actually think the flap makes it even harder to access stuff than with just the zipper. But I like that there is side pockets which my current burrito bag is missing (I had the post before this one). I also prefer a soft bag because hard bags mess with my cabling on some bikes.

As far as the jersey pockets are the best for snacks. They are but sometimes I don't want to ride with a jersey and I also do have cargo bibs which is even a better spot for snacks. The bar bag is to carry other stuff like sandwiches or a camera which I would not want to carry in the back for obvious reasons.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:00 PM

Have you seen the Route Werks bags in the vendor thread?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rks?ref=4x9802

The design is ingenious. I’d consider getting one but can’t say the aesthetic goes with my bike that well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2020, 02:29 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by williammmm View Post
Have you seen the Route Werks bags in the vendor thread?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rks?ref=4x9802

The design is ingenious. I’d consider getting one but can’t say the aesthetic goes with my bike that well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah I mentioned on a post above.

Not a fan of aesthetics and don't want something permanently attached to my handlebar/would have to buy multiple hardware to move from bike to bike. But I think they address it nicely and its a cool concept. Also not avail yet.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:34 PM

I kind of had this problem. I got a integrated stem-handlebar and it came with a head mount that was a piece of junk that was a hugh plastic thing that screwed into sleeves in the carbon. I went with a mount that is attached to the top of stem with an offset to lessen the chance of my knees banging into it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2020, 09:44 PM

attaquer bag is the best for this.. I just replaced my Ornot(rickshaw) for this very reason ..ease of getting into it.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
I kind of had this problem. I got a integrated stem-handlebar and it came with a head mount that was a piece of junk that was a hugh plastic thing that screwed into sleeves in the carbon. I went with a mount that is attached to the top of stem with an offset to lessen the chance of my knees banging into it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
I think stem mount is the best solution.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:02 PM

I'm interested in these, but do any allow readily accessible access to contents while riding? Seems impossible to get to things from atop. Right? Wrong?