Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-05-2018, 10:22 PM

Handlebar bags and out front computer mounts

Anyone have a combo that actually allows you to unzip the bag?

Would love to see a photo or two.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:33 PM

Old 09-05-2018, 10:38 PM

Fogcity gear bag

Old 09-05-2018, 10:42 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Garmin out front with smaller computer worked with my canti brakes and RoadRunner Burrito Supreme. However, the bigger issue I had was: I ussually mount my light under the garmin, but the bag is in the way so I couldn't use the dual mount and the bag.

Last edited by kppolich; 09-05-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:00 AM

I think you'd need to find a bag with a zipper that's closer towards the front of the bag instead of the top. Not sure if such a bag exists? If anyone knows of one, please share. Otherwise, the RoadRunner Burrito Supreme is a nice bag. That's what I'm currently using.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:21 AM

My Garmin Out Front and Roadrunner Burrito Supreme work well together.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:31 PM

View from the cheap seats : here's my Banjo Bros. Small handlebar bag with a Barfly 4 mini (w/ Garmin Edge 130). The mount position makes it little bit of a pain to unzip and wouldn't want to attempt it riding. On the other hand no complaints for the utility of this $13.99 bag, was nice to have a packable windbreaker and pair of defeet gloves on a chilly ride yesterday that I probably wouldn't have brought otherwise.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:11 AM
aka RAEKWON

The garmin mount works well because it raises the garmin a bit, the mount that comes with the new computera (820, 1000, ect...)

I feel though that front bags are not the best option if you want to access stuff while ridding but that is a conversation for another thread
Old 09-10-2018, 08:59 AM

I'm actually looking into making a bag that allows for access with an out front mount as well as a 7"x4" size.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:36 AM
aka RAEKWON

Bringing this thread back up because always annoying to have the garmin right in front of the bag. I have a 820 (but its on a XL mount because I had a few from my garmin 1000) and it interferes with the bag. I just bought a outershell bag because I want to access my stuff even easier (zippers suck) and it hasn't arrived but I am betting the garmin will be even more in front of the opening of the bag.

What is everyone doing about this? I was thinking about going to stem mount or maybe even temporarily move my mtb garmin mount to the gravel bike to give this a try
Old 10-05-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Bringing this thread back up because always annoying to have the garmin right in front of the bag. I have a 820 (but its on a XL mount because I had a few from my garmin 1000) and it interferes with the bag. I just bought a outershell bag because I want to access my stuff even easier (zippers suck) and it hasn't arrived but I am betting the garmin will be even more in front of the opening of the bag.

What is everyone doing about this? I was thinking about going to stem mount or maybe even temporarily move my mtb garmin mount to the gravel bike to give this a try
I switched to a stem mount when I installed my Outer Shell bag. It worked with an out-front mount but works much better with the Garmin on the stem.

It's a terrific bag, though. Super easy to open/close. My friend and I both used one on a recent bikepacking trip. He kept his camera in there and was able to take it out while riding (even semi-techinical stuff).
Old 10-05-2020, 08:15 AM

I too have switched to a stem mount after adding a rando bag. Have to use the rack to mount the light now. Always enjoyed the over/under combo mount.

That new Route Works bag being advertised on the other thread seems to solve this issue...

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2020, 09:07 AM

I switched to a small frame back - Pro Discover 3 L and find it's easier access when in motion (no sliding zipper sideways), closer (no reach past bar) and more stable (no bouncing) and allows your computer mount to stay out front... no regrets abandoning the barrel bag!
Old 10-05-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timto View Post
I switched to a small frame back - Pro Discover 3 L and find it's easier access when in motion (no sliding zipper sideways), closer (no reach past bar) and more stable (no bouncing) and allows your computer mount to stay out front... no regrets abandoning the barrel bag!
This is definitely the move.

I know handlebar bags are cool but mini frame bags and top tube bags are super convenient. I'd imagine it's more aero as well, if you're into that kind of thing.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I have one of the large Ornot/Rickshaw bags. I agree, it's not an issue with an out front mount. I can stuff energy gels or bars into the side pockets. I can actually access the compartment while moving, but it's a bit of a pain to zip it back up, and if you need to rummage around, you obviously can't see anything.

A Gopro or light mounted under the computer would be a problem, though. I don't really see a way around that.

Another really minor thing: on my handlebars at least, I have to be careful with the strap that's on the same side as my bell. Otherwise, the strap touches the bell and mutes it. That's one of the issues with this bag, that you can't vary the strap placement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianWong View Post
...I know handlebar bags are cool but mini frame bags and top tube bags are super convenient. I'd imagine it's more aero as well, if you're into that kind of thing.
Agreed. However, for me, top tube bags do hit my legs when I stand to pedal. My bike is pretty small, and the front triangle doesn't have much spare room for a mini frame bag. Also, that would preclude me from using a frame pump. It's always tradeoffs.

I think Jan Heine has some wind tunnel testing disputing that handlebar bags add meaningful drag. He may define meaningful differently than some people. If you are on a fast group ride, I think we can't really dispute that a handlebar bag should make a detectable difference, and they'll probably have stops planned anyway.

The 'real' issue is if you're on a fast solo ride and you actually feel like you have to consider a handlebar bag. I was (ahem) actually in that situation this year, and I went ahead and did the handlebar bag because I rejected the top tube and frame bags for the reasons above. I could have crammed more stuff in my Camelbak Chase vest, but I find that food sometimes drops out of the right pocket while riding, plus it's harder to zip up the pockets while moving.