Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2020, 05:31 AM

Pippa York

https://pezcyclingnews.com/interview...ar-pippa-york/

Great read and a pic of Boyer at the end.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:00 AM
Vendor

Not sure if a pic of Jock Boyer is anything to write home about given everything he did.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Not sure if a pic of Jock Boyer is anything to write home about given everything he did.
What does Jock Boyer have to do with this article?

Never mind, I see Boyer behind Millar in the last photo. So what are you saying, that we should suppress any photo that has Boyer in it, and never mention his name again? Boyer did his time, and he's done a lot of good work in Rwanda since then.

Last edited by fiamme red; 10-28-2020 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:
I hadn't seen the news of his fall from grace and had to look this up.

When I was a kid, his was my first autograph and one of his bikes from his RAAM win hung in the window of the LBS.

Cycling, swimming, wresting, and gymnastics of that era seem plagued with these stories. I know that the governing bodies of both USA swimming and gymnastics have been coming down hard on this issue in recent years. Hopefully it is a thing of the past and his victim is recovered and healthy.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:48 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post

Never mind, I see Boyer behind Millar in the last photo. So what are you saying, that we should suppress any photo that has Boyer in it, and never mention his name again? Boyer did his time, and he's done a lot of good work in Rwanda since then.
Just suggesting the Pippa article could've been mentioned without him being mentioned is all. That's it. I've never met Boyer or York so I have no dog in the fight. Just figured it might've been easier and less controversial not mentioning Boyer. That was all.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:03 AM

5th in a Classic and 12th in the TDF. A very early USA guy in Europe who rode with ACBB and spent a lot of time working for Kelly et al. I worked side by side with him for several years; and the point of the posting was about Pippa not JB necessarily to ruffle feathers of those who like to post bickering as has been discussed here recently. He played a role in many big races and paved the way for a lot of others. I find cycling history very interesting and hope that others get something out of this as well. That pic was likely from Goodwood '82 when JB was away and the pack was towed up by GL and Saronni prevailed. There is film of this in the Sean Kelly story if you can find it somewhere.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Just suggesting the Pippa article could've been mentioned without him being mentioned is all. That's it. I've never met Boyer or York so I have no dog in the fight. Just figured it might've been easier and less controversial not mentioning Boyer. That was all.
I didn't see where he was mentioned. Just a non credited photo with him in the blurry background.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:

No, he didn't. His case was a miscarriage of justice and his relocation to Africa to avoid scrutiny and oversight is equally appalling.

Quote:
In November, 2002, Boyer was convicted after pleading guilty to 10 felony counts of child molestation. He was sentenced to 20 year prison term which was suspended by the judge and had him serve one year in jail and five years probation.
The judge's rationale for the suspended sentence was disgusting.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde the point View Post
That pic was likely from Goodwood '82 when JB was away and the pack was towed up by GL and Saronni prevailed. There is film of this in the Sean Kelly story if you can find it somewhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09WZaWINFbo (start at around 6:00)

Phil Liggett: "Now really Greg LeMond should not be doing this!"

Last edited by fiamme red; 10-28-2020 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:46 AM

Sad that a good article is being overshadowed by a background picture.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
Sad that a good article is being overshadowed by a background picture.
I agree, and if Velocipede wants to complain, then complain about the recent PEZ article on Boyer himself: https://pezcyclingnews.com/interview...us-tour-rider/.

Steve Friedman wrote a fascinating piece on Boyer for Bicycling Magazine eight years ago: https://www.bicycling.com/news/a20021473/jock-boyer/.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I agree, and if Velocipede wants to complain, then complain about the recent PEZ article on Boyer himself: https://pezcyclingnews.com/interview...us-tour-rider/.

Steve Friedman wrote a fascinating piece on Boyer for Bicycling Magazine eight years ago: https://www.bicycling.com/news/a20021473/jock-boyer/.
Both articles are the typical "criminal caught in bad circumstances redeems themselves through pure heart."

Everything bad Boyer did is a passive occurrence which just seemed to happen around him. Everything good is brought about by his toil and restitution. For whatever good he has done I do not think he needs to be a recurring featurette for the cycling press, nor should he work around children in a country where protections for those children are at best, in my own personal experience, lax and fraught with hazard.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:28 AM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:

Was a great article in its time.
Still is.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
Both articles are the typical "criminal caught in bad circumstances redeems themselves through pure heart."
The PEZ interview didn't touch on his felony at all. The Bicycling article did, of course, and I believe it showed that Boyer's case is much less black-and-white than you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
Everything bad Boyer did is a passive occurrence which just seemed to happen around him. Everything good is brought about by his toil and restitution. For whatever good he has done I do not think he needs to be a recurring featurette for the cycling press, nor should he work around children in a country where protections for those children are at best, in my own personal experience, lax and fraught with hazard.
Except for that one girl, in all of Boyer's 65 years there has never been a whisper about any improper behavior.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:43 AM
Post Mod-ern

Getting back to the--ahem--subject . . .

. . . What a fascinating article and what a stupid reason to derail the discussion.

Difficult for me to think of a braver thing to do than to follow your true heart into something so controversial and bound-to-become-public life as that life transition.

Bravo Pippa! And Bravo Linda Ann for following her heart with her partner.

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats