Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2020, 01:29 PM

Does the Z actually stand the test of time? Is reliable, durable, robust.....et.c.? Can it take beating, both on the trail and in and out of a case?

Aesthetically it trumps S&S.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:31 PM

Aha.. thanks everyone for clarifing what "single" means. So what if someone wanted to build a three person bike.

As to foreign infringement, what I meant was what if a factory in China or Taiwan made them?

As I think some have noted, implicitly, there is a big cost differential between filing and maintaining design patents versus utility patents. That cost difference, and any imitial objections from the PTO may have deterred them from pursuing the utility patent.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDFWrider View Post

As to foreign infringement, what I meant was what if a factory in China or Taiwan made them?
A factory in China or Taiwan can make whatever they want. Santana's patent is only relevant if said factory tried to sell into the U.S. (where the patent was granted). In practice, if it were a ti builder like Waltly selling one-offs, it probably wouldn't be worth the cost to try to enforce the patent--it would have to be something on the scale of Ritchey or BikesDirect to make it worth it.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:12 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDFWrider View Post
Aha.. thanks everyone for clarifing what "single" means. So what if someone wanted to build a three person bike.

As I think some have noted, implicitly, there is a big cost differential between filing and maintaining design patents versus utility patents. That cost difference, and any imitial objections from the PTO may have deterred them from pursuing the utility patent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
A factory in China or Taiwan can make whatever they want. Santana's patent is only relevant if said factory tried to sell into the U.S. (where the patent was granted). In practice, if it were a ti builder like Waltly selling one-offs, it probably wouldn't be worth the cost to try to enforce the patent--it would have to be something on the scale of Ritchey or BikesDirect to make it worth it.
The sale of the Z-Coupler to companies in other countries also depends on if Santana has filed for patents in other countries. Not just the selling of but the production of the product. I would be surprised if they haven't applied. They are pretty smart and would do that. China, Taiwan and the general EU patents would be wise. Given it took 3 years for the initial US one- 2011 to 2014 granted, 2014/2015 would most likely be the same timeframe for others. Now, having a patent in those countries, not as strong a protection as in the US. Hell, even in the US enforcement is tougher and tougher versus decades ago.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:46 PM

Has anyone here tried this system yet? It looks very neat. Would love to hear of any experiences.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:34 PM
Randomhead

there is barely anything to patent. S&S mainly relied on the fact that their couplers resisted torque. I don't think a utility patent for a coupler would really stand a court test nowadays, but as always, you can get the patent even if there is no novelty and sometimes just having lawyers on call will keep people from copying your design.
Old 04-27-2022, 01:51 PM

I see Alliance have today started offering a z coupler option also. Still interested in any real world experiences of a No22/Santana/z coupled bike - esp. compared to the Breakaway system. Thanks

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc3DOadO...d=MDJmNzVkMjY=
Old 12-12-2022, 11:53 AM

With all the current threads talking about travel bikes/bikes with couplers, I was wondering if any paceliners have had any real world experiences with these?

They look super slick (much better than traditional couplers IMO) but curious about user feedback if we have any here.