Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2020, 10:24 AM

The cost to acquire a customer for Canyon is surely less than Trek or Specilaized and those two companies have a dealer network that each year is growing tired of them.

Casper is a bit unique in that there was the Direct to Consumer Mattress wars which involved buying review sites and then creating review sites and all that.

Canyon is, in my view, one of the best brands to invest in. Trek and Specialized have to decide to go all in or not. Canyon knows where they are and who they are.

bike deals - Cannondale horrible - Pinarello good - Colnago yet to be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
They're a private company, so there aren't publicly disclosed financials, but given their heavy marketing expenses, I'm guessing that their CACs are quite high, relative to other business models. DTC businesses are notorious for cash burn in this manner - see Casper Mattresses financial statements for a good example.

Combine these high CACs with their generous equipment specs and suspiciously low prices, and I'd be surprised if they generate much of any free cash flow, after netting for the CACs. Usually DTC companies make the argument that they don't have to pay the CAC on repeat sales, but for most normal people, n=1.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:57 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Trek used to make their top-end frames in-house (such as the Madone and the Emonda), but they've shifted manufacturing to Asia over the last few years. They used to say that their OCLV frames were only ever made in-house, but they no longer say that - because OCLV frames are now made in Taiwan (and maybe else where). It's not clear to me that they make any carbon frames in the US anymore. For example, my 2019 Emonda SLR frame (OCLV) has a sticker that says "Made in Taiwan".
I figured they were all made overseas. I personally don't care. I don't own a Trek and haven't in years. I don't fault them for going overseas with everything. I just thought based on what I was told only the Project Ones were still made in the US.

Asia has excellent carbon manufacturing. IF it's done right and they do real QC. Many times it's done on the cheap and that includes the QC part of it. That being said, the US, Italy, Europe, they all have issues if they allow it. A perfect example of that is the Ancotech fraud that happened. Ruined an amazing company.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:58 AM
Vendor

Canyon is sold!

https://www.bike-eu.com/market/nieuw...-qVMZhrcdDvwfU
Old 12-15-2020, 08:05 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Is it really 'sold' tho? Seems Roman will be staying(as advisor) and it says he's throwing a chunk of his 'proceeds' toward Canyon..so is he still considered an 'owner'?? Or just an 'investor' now?
Quote:
Roman Arnold will remain the Chairman of the Advisory Board and reinvest a significant part of his proceeds alongside GBL
Old 12-15-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
I figured they were all made overseas. I personally don't care. I don't own a Trek and haven't in years. I don't fault them for going overseas with everything. I just thought based on what I was told only the Project Ones were still made in the US.

Asia has excellent carbon manufacturing. IF it's done right and they do real QC. Many times it's done on the cheap and that includes the QC part of it. That being said, the US, Italy, Europe, they all have issues if they allow it. A perfect example of that is the Ancotech fraud that happened. Ruined an amazing company.
US based construction of frames (from carbon up) stopped around 2017 and now all Trek carbon frames are manufactured overseas. Most stock bikes are finished and assembled abroad as well.

Project One and some of the SLR series frames land in the US unpainted/finished and they are completed and assembled in Waterloo, but that's the extent of US based involvement.

Last edited by batman1425; 12-15-2020 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:27 PM

as said above
https://www.velonews.com/news/canyon...elles-lambert/
Old 12-16-2020, 03:09 AM

TSG Consumer Group which is a San Fran based Private Equity firm invested in the company in 2016 and wanted out.

The Belgium group GBL bought the TSG stake with another investor. Roman still holds 40% of the company.