Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2024, 03:16 AM

Picking a handlebar for an All Road

Hello folks. I am lucky enough to have a Pursuit All Road frame in the queue and I’m starting to assemble the build kit.

I am planning on using an ENVE cockpit and I want a more gravel oriented bar, but I didn’t realize they offer both a “Gravel” bar and an AR bar.

Does anyone here have experience with both the Gravel bar and the SES AR bar? If so, how did they compare? I’ll be doing 70/30 paved/dirt, and would opt for a 42cm in the gravel bar and a 40cm in the AR.

Also, do the current gen in-route bars work for non-integrated cockpits? I’m still on the fence about going the in-route route but will probably choose external for the sake of maintenance simplicity. (Opinions welcome here as well)

Thank you!
Old 08-22-2024, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonprophet View Post
Also, do the current gen in-route bars work for non-integrated cockpits? I’m still on the fence about going the in-route route but will probably choose external for the sake of maintenance simplicity. (Opinions welcome here as well)

Thank you!
I can't answer the question of AR vs. Gravel for you, but I can say that the Enve IN-Route bars WILL work with non-IN-Route systems. All of Enve's drop bars are now "IN-Route" which just means there's a large hole at the clamp to feed the housing to the stem for full internal systems. You simply don't use this hole if opting for conventional external routing.
Old 08-22-2024, 11:52 AM

I was wondering about the "traditional" use of the In-Route bars. Seemed to be more complicated than I wanted...

I'm a fan of the FSA K-Wing carbon bar...have them on three bikes now...

Good feel, nice ergonomics...

https://www.fsaproshop.com/products/...7uQJrrAVTBUsTY
HotTubes
LiteSpeeds
SpeshFat
Old 08-22-2024, 12:02 PM

Personally, I would go with the AR model over their Gravel model, since the latter has too much flare for my preference.

Also, why are you thinking about going narrower if going with the AR model?
Old 08-22-2024, 12:23 PM

Big fan of the Coefficient RR for both pavement and gravel. While it has internal routing capability, I chose to wrap the brake housing under the tape vs through the bars (running Di2 12 so have wireless shifting).
Old 08-22-2024, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
Personally, I would go with the AR model over their Gravel model, since the latter has too much flare for my preference.

Also, why are you thinking about going narrower if going with the AR model?
My fitter and I determined that 40cm is probably the appropriate bar size for me, but a 42 would be fine if I wanted a little more control on rough terrain (and the gravel bar doesn’t come smaller than a 42)
Old 08-22-2024, 12:28 PM

AR model on two bikes. Love the feel on the tops and the slight flare at the bottom. Check out Enve tape as well. Very nice.
Old 08-22-2024, 12:34 PM

The Enve AR bar is my current favorite bar. I've got two of them on road bikes with non-integrated setups, one rim brake mechanical and one hydraulic AXS. I like the shape of the top of the bar and also use the 40, I prefer the milder flair of the drops compared to the gravel bar. I used to have the Enve Gravel bar on a bike and the large flare is good when descending offroad but overall is more than I really like.

One thing about the AR bar is it doesn't have much round space in the middle left for anything after it's mounted in the stem. I had only one computer mount that would fit in the little bit of space left over, and that put the computer off center. I've now got both bikes setup with out front mounts.
Old 08-22-2024, 03:33 PM

Got you. Personally, I would go with the AR in 40 cm in that case; just use the drops when you need additional width for more control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonprophet View Post
My fitter and I determined that 40cm is probably the appropriate bar size for me, but a 42 would be fine if I wanted a little more control on rough terrain (and the gravel bar doesn’t come smaller than a 42)
Old 08-22-2024, 03:51 PM

Another vote for the AR bar, my favorite shaped bar I've ever used