Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 06-04-2021, 10:45 AM

Off the shelf insoles...

Anyone have experience with off the shelf insoles for correcting pronation while biking?

My orthotics (they were CycleSoles) are shot. They're 10 years old now.

Last year I tried using Bontrager (Superfeet) insoles, and then also put a piece of the specialized forefoot shims in.

It keeps my feet & knees from hurting but it's definitely not good enough.. I am getting hip issues over time, likely from using my hips to try and keep my knees from collapsing inwards. (That Completely makes sense)

Here's the problem. The shop that made my Cyclesoles stopped making them, likely just cause the guy who was trained quit and left.

Fitwerx in the Boston area makes custom insoles. But right now getting them is like getting a custom frame. I'm on the wait list but was told to expect "fall".

I ordered a "Sole Active" heat moldable kit yesterday, I may try that. Anyone have any experience with anything else?

I am somewhat optimistic the Sole stuff might actually be stiff enough to work in a cycling shoe as cycling doesn't seem as demanding as walking/running.

Otherwise I'm looking at flat pedals & sneakers with my normal orthotics I think for the rest of the season. Not really an issue for MTB but it feels super strange for road, somewhat just cause my sneakers are ridiculously wide/high profile compared to cycling shoes and the soles are way too soft.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Anyone have experience with off the shelf insoles for correcting pronation while biking?

My orthotics (they were CycleSoles) are shot. They're 10 years old now.

Last year I tried using Bontrager (Superfeet) insoles, and then also put a piece of the specialized forefoot shims in.

It keeps my feet & knees from hurting but it's definitely not good enough.. I am getting hip issues over time, likely from using my hips to try and keep my knees from collapsing inwards. (That Completely makes sense)

Here's the problem. The shop that made my Cyclesoles stopped making them, likely just cause the guy who was trained quit and left.

Fitwerx in the Boston area makes custom insoles. But right now getting them is like getting a custom frame. I'm on the wait list but was told to expect "fall".

I ordered a "Sole Active" heat moldable kit yesterday, I may try that. Anyone have any experience with anything else?

I am somewhat optimistic the Sole stuff might actually be stiff enough to work in a cycling shoe as cycling doesn't seem as demanding as walking/running.

Otherwise I'm looking at flat pedals & sneakers with my normal orthotics I think for the rest of the season. Not really an issue for MTB but it feels super strange for road, somewhat just cause my sneakers are ridiculously wide/high profile compared to cycling shoes and the soles are way too soft.
https://lamsoncycling.com/orthotics. You may have to send your shoes. Many cycling shoes have curved soles, and you will want to make sure that the insole you use accounts for the curvature. Don’s shoes are designed to be used with his insoles.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:08 PM

since op asked about off the shelf... Steve Hogg is big on arch support and recommends the G8 performance, Icebug Slims, Sidas 3, and Sof Sole Fit. Many people like the Specialized ones, and of course Superfeet have a variety of shapes. Unfortunately none of these are cheap and it is hit or miss to find one that works. Most of Hogg's advice is solid, but this post is 10 years old and he has evolved some of his thinking. still worth a read but take some stuff with a grain of salt

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...-arch-support/
Old 06-07-2021, 12:14 PM

I'm still waiting for the Sole one to come in.

Lamson looks good if I could get to someone to fit me for them but otherwise way too much. It's not outrageous if buying shoes compared to medical grade orthotics at all but would I trust spending that much when I had to be the one doing the molding, I don't think so necessarily.

I have had so many pairs if I could get my hands on the right foam I'd almost just try making my own. The oldest/simples ones I used to get back in the 90s up till about 2007 were still the best, they were just softer and wore out the fastest. I haven't seen those in a long time.

I am semi-hopeful about the Sole ones I ordered.. the part that worries me is the claim you can skip molding them and they'll mold from walking around.

If they're soft enough to remold from walking around and you pronate on top of them they'll just end up letting the foot move to the uncorrected position.

Next step would probably be to try the G8. Those look quite clever.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:34 PM

The Sole inserts are good, used a lot of them in work boots over the years, as well as running shoes.

One other option, similar in price to G8s is Solestar, I've been using the Kontrol model, plenty of arch support, and after the feet get used to them (3-5 rides), they come really comfortable.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I'm still waiting for the Sole one to come in.

Lamson looks good if I could get to someone to fit me for them but otherwise way too much. It's not outrageous if buying shoes compared to medical grade orthotics at all but would I trust spending that much when I had to be the one doing the molding, I don't think so necessarily.

I have had so many pairs if I could get my hands on the right foam I'd almost just try making my own. The oldest/simples ones I used to get back in the 90s up till about 2007 were still the best, they were just softer and wore out the fastest. I haven't seen those in a long time.

I am semi-hopeful about the Sole ones I ordered.. the part that worries me is the claim you can skip molding them and they'll mold from walking around.

If they're soft enough to remold from walking around and you pronate on top of them they'll just end up letting the foot move to the uncorrected position.

Next step would probably be to try the G8. Those look quite clever.

You need someone to help with the foam impressions for Lamson shoes/insoles, but it’s not a big deal. Don can schedule a time to assist you and your assistant and watch you using Skype as you work through the process. He guides you while watching to make sure everything is done correctly. I use my iPad and direct at the box while doing it. I have done handful of fits and I still have Don participate remotely when I do them. I don’t do them every day, and it gives me peace of mind to have Don watching. But Don tells me that he hasn’t ever had a problem with the impressions that he has helped with in this fashion.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:54 PM

I finally got the Sole insoles in the mail.

I ordered the ones with the Met pad.

I think they may do the trick. They're really well done. To the point once I molded them I'm not sure I could tell in a blind test versus my custom orthotics. The Metatarsal pad is just slightly different than the custom ones and the arch might be slightly shorter front to back.. it's possible I could upsize one size on the Sole ones to fix that.

I may order a 2nd pair and see if they could be a substitute for the custom ones for non cycling uses... if they are I'd be super excited to have something at 1/10th the cost that could do the job.

I went for a 10-15 minute ride but that's not really enough to tell, I'll try them on a longer ride tomorrow.. if they keep my calves from hurting and/or help my hamstring feel better under high power they'll be keepers. They feel a ton more comfortable and supportive than the Bontrager/Superfeet ones I've been trying to get by on.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:

I think they may do the trick. They're really well done. To the point once I molded them I'm not sure I could tell in a blind test versus my custom orthotics. The Metatarsal pad is just slightly different than the custom ones and the arch might be slightly shorter front to back.. it's possible I could upsize one size on the Sole ones to fix that.

I may order a 2nd pair and see if they could be a substitute for the custom ones for non cycling uses... if they are I'd be super excited to have something at 1/10th the cost that could do the job.

I went for a 10-15 minute ride but that's not really enough to tell, I'll try them on a longer ride tomorrow.. if they keep my calves from hurting and/or help my hamstring feel better under high power they'll be keepers. They feel a ton more comfortable and supportive than the Bontrager/Superfeet ones I've been trying to get by on.
Worth a look IMO

https://solestar.com/collections/cycling-insoles
Old 06-17-2021, 10:35 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:

I've been using the Sole insoles for 15+ yrs with good luck....however, recent knee issues may indicate I need more than they offer.

I'm heading to a PT guy this afternoon for evaluation and bike fit analysis. With my shot left ankle, I would bet some special shims, orthotics, or shoes are in my future.....I really want to figure this out and get back on the bike.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:08 PM

Well the sole insoles seem to make my knees/ankles/hips/whatever feel pretty good.

But for some reason I ordered the medium and they take too much room in the shoes.. I rode for an hour an a half in them and it started to become a problem. I'm going to try the thinner version and I bet those may work.

I have been trying to wear them in running shoes instead to check that out. They were making my back start to hurt.

I took calipers to my custom orthotics that I don't wear for cycling.. they have about a 2mm heel lift that the soles don't have, and they also have a millimeter or two of extra stack on my left leg as if to correct a LLD. That's pretty interesting as it was never made clear to me that's what was going on. I think he looked at the way my left foot pronates more and/or how I walked on the treadmill and just did it without a doctor ever diagnosing it. It'd explain a lot about the way my back can get sore.

It's something I could easily fool around with on the sole insoles just by adding a little heel lift, but I think it's mostly irrelevant for cycling.

The stack height on the custom orthotics is kind of huge compared to the off the shelf stuff. It makes it obvious why the guy who made them had so much trouble trying to make them for cycling shoes.. cycling shoes just don't have that kind of volume. When we tried that experiment back around 2007 he made me go up from like a 46 to a 48 wide or something on the cycling shoes to make room and I was swimming in them. I used those for a few seasons but they were never great.

Last edited by benb; 06-17-2021 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 03:02 PM

I've been using the Sole insoles for about 15 years also, all different thicknesses for different apps, work boots, hiking boots, cycling shoes, etc. I have a pair of mtb shoes that were a little tight at the toe box, I cut the front section off under the toes and used Gorilla tape at that transition to hold the sole in place. It works great with a little extra toe room.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:34 PM

Insoles

This is a timely thread.
I have been searching for a pair of off the shelf as my custom insoles after recently being recovered are hurting the outside of my left foot.
I’ve tried two different Superfeet, two Specialized, two Ice Bug (thin and thick), Lake original that came in my shoes, Shimano with two different plug in arch heights, nothing is comfortable.
Next up options are heat moldable Lake insoles and Sidas custom molded cycling insoles. I’m also playing around with my recovered custom insoles to see if I can get comfortable in them again, today’s ride of 23 miles was pretty good, so there is hope.
The G8 and Solestar are not available locally, but are further options. I feel there is no good substitute for an insole custom molded to the height and length of your arch, plus placement in the correct part of the insoles so it feels right.
I have an appointment with a foot doctor next week about the discomfort on the outside of my left foot, won’t order anything further until I get an evaluation.
Insoles are really a huge need for my feet as I have several foot issues, especially in cycling shoes.
Curious what else is working for others.
Any good cycling foot Dr. in the Boston area?

Last edited by quattro; 06-17-2021 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-19-2021, 03:35 AM

Solestar user here
The blk and control models take up more space than the ep3 model. Be mindful of that. No hotspots for 3-4 hour rides.
They work well with SIDI lasts, but not very well with LAKE lasts.
LAKE Raven soles work better with LAKE shoes after moulding.

Don’t use other brands for now, so can’t comment more.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:17 AM

Does anyone here have experience with the G8's? I like the idea that each insole can be adjusted through the arch as well as with additional heel support options. But cost with heel support is about the as custom molded orthotics like Upstep.

My typical ride is 3-6 hours. Depending on the effort I tend to get hotspots on my right foot in particular after the 4 hour mark. Thinking that the g8 insoles would solve that, but hoping someone who has used them could confirm that. Thanks
Old 06-27-2021, 01:34 PM

I'm getting close to declaring victory with the Sole insoles.

I had to order a 2nd pair and got the "Thin Active" without a Metatarsal pad.

Once I molded those and put in a piece of Specialized Varus wedge in the shoes I seem to be in business.

Had a GREAT ride today, best since 2018 or so. My pedal stroke just felt perfect, no issues with the saddle, wrists, etc.. My glutes felt way better.. I could tell my hips are not rotating weird with the pedal stroke.

A lot of these insole/pronation type issues for me manifest in strange sideways forces my body generates on the bike which then cause lateral issues whether it's saddle sores, sore leg on one side, sore wrist on one side, sore back, etc..

I need to wait till I can prove I can actually get back in good shape and go ride them for 50+ miles to declare victory.

I also have worn a pair of them in my every day shoes for the last week and I am suspecting I may be able to ditch the custom orthotics there too which would be HUGE. Those things cost about $750 now and I think those are shot too. My IT bands feel better with the Sole insoles than my orthotics.