Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2019, 07:00 AM
kg

Orbea vs other new road bike ideas

I’m considering a new road bike for training and racing over lumpy central Texas terrain. It’s time to move to discs. On my radar are the Tarmac, Cervelo S3, wait for a new Canyon, or the tantalizing new Orbea Orca OMX. The limiter is that I can only test ride the Tarmac.

Orbea, in particular, is a rare beast (at least around here). I’m curious about experiences you may have had with their road bikes. I need a dependable machine but if I’m paying the cost of any of these modern bikes, I also want to eke out every bit of free speed AND comfort that I can.

Your thoughts?
Old 09-21-2019, 09:57 AM

If you're looking at any of those bikes, the only difference is to pick the one you like the best (considering that any/all of the geometry works for you). I have an Orca Disc, and it rides as well and is as fast and as light as whatever the latest crop of carbon bikes is out there. Just because you don't see them as often as others doesn't mean they're in any way inferior- it's just that the marketing machine works in others' favors currently.

A few years ago (or longer than a few), you'd see Orbeas everywhere, but that was when they sponsored the Euskatel Euskadi team. However, the bikes that Orbea is putting out bikes these days are completely different from those older ones, and they're as substitutable as as any of the Big 3 (or four, or five, etc.).

Last edited by Blown Reek; 09-21-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:36 AM

I'm also in the road bike shopping mode. Both the Orca and Canyon looks very tempting. Even the Enduarnce from Canyon could be good.

Since you said "others" here is my list of some gucci road machines in no special order that could be worth having a look at:
Argon 18 Gallium Pro
BMC Team Machine SLR 01
Focus Izalco Max 9.9
Colnago V1-R
Biachi Oltre xr3 was in the running but imo the wheels are sub-par for the level.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
I’m considering a new road bike for training and racing over lumpy central Texas terrain. It’s time to move to discs. On my radar are the Tarmac, Cervelo S3, wait for a new Canyon, or the tantalizing new Orbea Orca OMX. The limiter is that I can only test ride the Tarmac.

Orbea, in particular, is a rare beast (at least around here). I’m curious about experiences you may have had with their road bikes. I need a dependable machine but if I’m paying the cost of any of these modern bikes, I also want to eke out every bit of free speed AND comfort that I can.

Your thoughts?
Mikes Bikes in the Bay Area is unloading a bunch of demo 2019 Venge Pros w Ultegra Di2 and CL50s....for $3k I think... Check Pink Bike.

Barring something like that, or the Dogma F10 disc Di2 demos from Excel, the Orbea looks like a great choice. I rode one of their OMR level frames a couple years ago and was very impressed with ride and build quality.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Mikes Bikes in the Bay Area is unloading a bunch of demo 2019 Venge Pros w Ultegra Di2 and CL50s....for $3k I think... Check Pink Bike.

Barring something like that, or the Dogma F10 disc Di2 demos from Excel, the Orbea looks like a great choice. I rode one of their OMR level frames a couple years ago and was very impressed with ride and build quality.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
$3k is a screaming deal for the components alone, but the previous gen Venge was notoriously harsh riding and not nearly as easy to work on. But if you want to got fast there’s very few others that can compete.

But to the OP, I’ve never heard anyone say a bad thing about an Orbea they’ve purchased. Kind of similar to Focus in that way - they’re incredibly popular and well respected in Europe but never really get the same pub or push stateside.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:56 AM

Orbea

I have an Orbea Avant MD 40. It is a really nice bike with mostly 105 components. It is my first carbon fiber framed bike. It is more of a gravel bike then a full-on road bike, except the widest tires that fit are 32's. It is comfortable and a bit on the heavy side. Nothing against the build or the geometry of the bike, however, I am not real fond of the carbon fiber, or the internal cabling. I ride my steel and titanium bike much more than the Orbea.

I am considering selling/trading the bike even though I know I will not get a good return on it. I am certainly not trying to be critical of the bike, or dissuade you from purchasing one. It is just my preferences. As others have stated, buy the bike you like the most and can afford.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:42 PM

Just bought a 2012 Orca Silver at a pawn shop that was never ridden (showroom condition). Manager of the shop made me an offer that I couldn't refuse. Took it for a test ride and I was sold. Came with Sram Force and Mavic R-SYS wheels (updated version). For $1000 couldn't be happier. It's well constructed and fast.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:54 PM
kg

VERY useful info. Thanks. I am leaning Orbea. The cherry on top is custom paint at no upcharge. Just think, I’ll be the only person I know who doesn’t have an all black bike! Still, want to sit with the idea about longer. I find it so hard to spend big without test riding (or even with, actually). We are in a crazy expensive sport.