Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2024, 03:08 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwerziou View Post
Massive discounts can be had, regardless of manufacturer. It's a 'good' time to buy bikes and gear.
I haven't really seen this yet.. at least at the bikes I'm looking for.. I see $200 off here, $400 off there, but that's about it..
Old 03-26-2024, 04:33 PM

Excel also has a Caledonia-5 with Red for less than $8000. Don't know that this is the signal of the end of the group or anything but, more a way to offload a combo that wasn't a big mover. I am in the same boat as a few others, buy completes and flip the parts you don't want.
Old 03-26-2024, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerat View Post
Excel also has a Caledonia-5 with Red for less than $8000. Don't know that this is the signal of the end of the group or anything but, more a way to offload a combo that wasn't a big mover. I am in the same boat as a few others, buy completes and flip the parts you don't want.
Sram Red was last updated in 2019 and a new group is almost certainly to be released this spring. Sram Red is on sale everywhere.
Old 03-26-2024, 07:57 PM

Campagnolo has long released new products that were poorly conceived and/or executed, only to refine, improve or replace them in following years and seemingly recover well.

I’m thinking Delta brakes, SGR pedals, Syncro 1 and 2, first generation Athena, probably early EPS (no first hand experience) etc. etc.

I expect first gen. SRL wireless with its morbidly obese front and rear changers will fall into the same category but the stakes look higher and its absence from the World Tour concerns me more for their future than anything.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinkozmo View Post
theres a shop here with a look 765 gravel bike with ekar for half price...nobody wants the campag
What shop is that? A Look 765 to complement my 785 Huez RS might be nice...
Old 03-27-2024, 12:21 AM

Maybe it is an offering that falls between the cracks and is unloved.
Shimano people like electronic.
Campagnolo people like mechanical (myself definitely)
Maybe No one likes Campagnolo electronic
Old 03-27-2024, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post
Hey dancinkozmo,

What shop is this at? I might be interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bike zone in mississauga

https://www.thebikezone.com/product/...l-rs-11623.htm
Old 03-27-2024, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocslick View Post
What shop is that? A Look 765 to complement my 785 Huez RS might be nice...
https://www.thebikezone.com/product/...l-rs-11623.htm
Old 03-27-2024, 06:40 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
I just don't see that they have a strategy in the US that supports their business model. I get you don't have to be an OEM player. Lots of companies focus on aftermarket only (but seems most of them WANT to be OEM players if they get a chance.)

But to be an aftermarket player, and to be the "Rolex" of cycling components, you have to have name recognition and perceived value. Outside of this forum and some microcosms in Boulder and a few similar cities, no one knows of this stuff. You don't see it on bikes. I don't see any advertising.

My n=1 is that I live in a small/mid size town. My bike club pulls in 30 riders on a big group ride. I would bet only 3-4 of the older riders really know who Campagnolo is. No one other than myself would be familiar with the features/price or even existence of the new WRL. Now most of the riders have only started in the last 10 years. But I am guessing these riders are not too different from newer riders across the country.

So if someone can explain to me how Campy in the US has a long term plan, I would love to hear it. I am sure my sample size is too small. They aren't selling 1 out of every 30 groups. But what does that number need to be? 1 in 1000? 1 in 10,000? I don't know how they get there when they aren't consideration set in the population that I see.
Maybe email Marty at CampagnoloNA and ask him.

The US isn't Campagnolo's main market, still not regarded as a 'serious cycling market'...just look around.

As for their 'numbers' and what they 'need' to be..well, Campagnolo is grown every year since about 1991 or 1992 after the MTB debacle. Their sales have grown every year...Nope, they are not Shimano or sram(thank goodness), just like Rolex isn't Seiko or Citizen, being sold in every Macys, or Target.

Gee whiskers, I don't see ANY Aprilia or KTMs around here, they must be going out of biz..Just see Honda and Yamaha...NO Ducati dealer in Boulder...oh no...

I hardly see any Porsches either...nor Any Maseratis...even tho there is a Maserati dealer in Broomfield..must be going out of biz..

Campagnolo is a 'premium brand', along with everything that means. Just like other premium brands mentioned above.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadoflam View Post
Maybe it is an offering that falls between the cracks and is unloved.
Shimano people like electronic.
Campagnolo people like mechanical (myself definitely)
Maybe No one likes Campagnolo electronic
That's certainly true based on my impression of the second-hand market. EPS groupsets (even hydro-disc ones) seem to go for less than rim brake mechanical Campy while mechanical Shimano is dirt cheap though having used both mech Campy and Shimano, Shimano mech is perfectly fine and even kinda nice. I definitely like Shimano front shifting more.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:32 AM

I am in a small town or well it was before covid but now its grown alot. I dont typically see much for Campy in our own club but yeah Shimano and Sram are the go too but I have friends that ride Campy and when we go to races or GFs they are there just not like the other two groups.
Speaking motos we do have a Ktm, dealer here in our own town and at one time there were two dealers. We have Ducati, Sherpa, Beta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia within an hours drive. Ktm is popular here in what was bum frick nowhere. Most of these motos are not big names here but like Campy they do exist and surviving without threat of bankruptcy.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:43 AM

I have R10, SR11, SR12 but now the company doesn't offer anything new for me...
Old 03-28-2024, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbk67 View Post
Campagnolo has long released new products that were poorly conceived and/or executed, only to refine, improve or replace them in following years and seemingly recover well.

I’m thinking Delta brakes, SGR pedals, Syncro 1 and 2, first generation Athena, probably early EPS (no first hand experience) etc. etc.

I expect first gen. SRL wireless with its morbidly obese front and rear changers will fall into the same category but the stakes look higher and its absence from the World Tour concerns me more for their future than anything.
Jeez that's a reach! The time period your describing is 1986-88.

Shimano has done some doozies too from the same period.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerat View Post
Naw, it means sram is goin' out of business...
Old 03-28-2024, 05:40 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeboy1 View Post
I am in a small town or well it was before covid but now its grown alot. I dont typically see much for Campy in our own club but yeah Shimano and Sram are the go too but I have friends that ride Campy and when we go to races or GFs they are there just not like the other two groups.
Speaking motos we do have a Ktm, dealer here in our own town and at one time there were two dealers. We have Ducati, Sherpa, Beta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia within an hours drive. Ktm is popular here in what was bum frick nowhere. Most of these motos are not big names here but like Campy they do exist and surviving without threat of bankruptcy.
Reality, what a concept.