Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2017, 05:30 AM

Ot: Impossible foods burger /link added

was wondering if any of our california brethren have tried impossible burgers yet?
seems like not available yet here on east coast. if so can you please compare for me with a boca burger as i have eaten them for 20+ years and am trying to understand the difference. seems like the impossible burger is genetically treated to make taste more like meat. thanks for any input. can't wait for them to arrive here!

https://www.impossiblefoods.com/burger/

Last edited by alancw3; 09-24-2017 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:57 AM
Lanterne rouge

Looks good.
I wouldnt eat one.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:16 AM
aka RAEKWON

Its available in NYC. Just had 1 yesterday, actually 1 and a half. Its really good and crazy how close it is to a burger. I had not had a real burger in 15 years but when I bit into the impossible the taste of a real burger came rushing back in. Friend that went with me eats meat and not only liked the impossible also thought was the closest to meat veggie burger he had ever tastes, if someone did not tell him, he would have thought was a burger.

As far as your question, it tastes nothing lica a boca burger. It tastes and feels like a meat burger. Its chewie ina certain way, stays red in the middle and its juicy. They have a video on the site and say its all about the heme which they figured out how to produce from a plant through fermentation.

Everyone should really try it, its pretty cool.

Not sure how healthy it is as its probably very processed (but so are boca burgers and 99% of veggie burgers, as I call em, fake healthy burgers)
Old 09-24-2017, 07:33 AM

It does look good, but I wouldn't eat one either. I like my burgers with real meat.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:34 AM

Hmmm...count me among the nays as well....
Old 09-24-2017, 11:20 AM

I love meat. I hate where it comes from. I do not have a palate that will allow me to go meatless, which I'd like to. I'm really hoping that this is successful & doesn't turn out to be bad for you. I'd love to be able to go into my grocery & buy something that looks, tastes, and has the mouthfeel of meat but isn't. Since I don't have one local, I'll have to let others be the testers.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:20 AM

I tried a bite of a friends, she's doesn't eat meat so I took her out for the experience. It tasted like a burger, not necessarily the best burger I've ever had, but a decent burger. I don't otherwise have an interest in it since I can have a real burger. I normally avoid wheat, soy, and potatoes outside of special occasions.

Edit: I just read cadence90's link, this type of statement pretty much triggers me to boycott: "it’s made entirely from natural and plant-based ingredients, and thus it is healthier"

Last edited by seric; 09-24-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:38 AM

The impossible burger is good.

It has a certain juiciness that a boca burger does not have. I find most veggie burgers to be a little dry and lacking the in the texture department.

As to the health aspect, if we're going to compare the impossible burger to the large majority of restaurant hamburgers I would definitely argue it's healthier.

It's also healthier for the environment--look at the amount of resources it takes to raise cows for beef if you disagree.

I am a meat eater--I try to eat beef at most once a month as a result of the environmental impact beef has when compared to other meats (fish, chicken).

But the impossible burger is great--there are a lot of people who go vegetarian and it's one of those comfort foods that allow them to continue their new lifestyle.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:58 AM

How much does an impossible burger cost at the restaurant? Is it roughly the same as a real thing?
Old 09-24-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
How much does an impossible burger cost at the restaurant? Is it roughly the same as a real thing?
I've only had it had kronnerburger in Oakland. Their normal burger is in the $14-18 range and I believe the impossible is $15.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:23 PM

thanks for all for the replys who have actually had an impossible burger. my feeling is that i will definitely try and hopefully better than a boca burger. i have to put a1 sauce and catsup on my boca burgers to add some taste.

Last edited by alancw3; 09-25-2017 at 03:24 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
It's $19 at Cockscomb in SF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
As to the health aspect, if we're going to compare the impossible burger to the large majority of restaurant hamburgers I would definitely argue it's healthier.
I'm open to opposing views here, why would you argue it's healthier? There are very few viewpoints I know of in modern nutrition which would view it's ingredients as healthy.

I also suspect what the majority of restaurant hamburgers would contain varies greatly by region, and what you consider a restaurant. It would be hard for me to find a sit down dining burger that wasn't at least grass fed in my area. By that point it quickly devolves to a conversation more about price points, no longer comparing apples to apples.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seric View Post
It's $19 at Cockscomb in SF.

I'm open to opposing views here, why would you argue it's healthier? There are very few viewpoints I know of in modern nutrition which would view it's ingredients as healthy.

I also suspect what the majority of restaurant hamburgers would contain varies greatly by region, and what you consider a restaurant. It would be hard for me to find a sit down dining burger that wasn't at least grass fed in my area. By that point it quickly devolves to a conversation more about price points, no longer comparing apples to apples.
Agreed. I wasn't comparing the impossible burger to a top tier grass fed boutique burger.

I was more comparing the impossible burger to a standard steakhouse burger you can find at any burger spot in the USA.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Agreed. I wasn't comparing the impossible burger to a top tier grass fed boutique burger.

I was more comparing the impossible burger to a standard steakhouse burger you can find at any burger spot in the USA.
Not exactly an apples to apples comparison but when you're comparing a very specific and fairly technologically advanced product to something that has been relatively unchanged for decades there is a lot of variation in results.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:37 PM

Double