Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2017, 09:45 AM
Made in Belgium

QS shifter with DA front? Shimergo question...

I will convert one of my bikes to Shimergo 8 speed. I already have a complete DA 7700 group, a Sram 8 speed cassette and I just purchased a set of Chorus QS 10 speed shifters.

I read over the weekend about Quickshift and in the end I'm not sure it's going to work nicely with my DA front. That's for a double setup. Anybody with first hand experience can confirm/comment?

Thanks
Old 09-11-2017, 09:59 AM

It should be fine. I've used campy shifters with all sorts of front derailleurs with no issue.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:11 AM

I've done exactly that combination before. Campy ergos are like ratcheting friction shifters. Almost. Here's the ratcheting wheel inside a left ergo:

Each of those detents is a position across the spectrum that the front derailleur could be shifted to.

For Shimano STIs, imagine that ratchet wheel only having 3 or 4 detents. They place a heavy emphasis on mating FDs and front STIs so that your chain will end up in the right location for each of those shifting positions.

Last edited by jemdet; 09-11-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:41 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcollard View Post
I will convert one of my bikes to Shimergo 8 speed. I already have a complete DA 7700 group, a Sram 8 speed cassette and I just purchased a set of Chorus QS 10 speed shifters.

I read over the weekend about Quickshift and in the end I'm not sure it's going to work nicely with my DA front. That's for a double setup. Anybody with first hand experience can confirm/comment?

Thanks
It'll work just fine with that front der. 'QS' was more marketing than actual function.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:40 PM
Made in Belgium

Thanks all for your replies.

I'm happy to report that this setup works perfectly

It shifts very, very well, and the whole build feels solid. I'm a Shimergo fan now!
Old 09-24-2017, 09:43 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Thanks
The levers will work fine with that der. 'QS' was more marketing than anything..little more movement with lever movement but they work with any front der.

DOH....read the posts!!!
Old 09-24-2017, 09:52 PM

I've used a Chorus 10s front shifter with a DA 7400 fd & it worked just fine.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks all for your replies.

I'm happy to report that this setup works perfectly

It shifts very, very well, and the whole build feels solid. I'm a Shimergo fan now!
So does the QS require only one click to upshift on the front? Does it require much trimming?

I'm running a 10spd Record Ultrashift/9spd Shimano variant of Shimergo using the Hubbub method and the front requires multiple clicks (like, 4-5) to shift a double chainring. Mildly annoying - but on the bright side, I can trim the FD cage to perfection. I'm using a DA 7400 FD.

Other than that, I really like the quality of shifting from the Shimergo setup. Much smoother than the standard 9spd Ultegra drivetrain I previously had!

KJ

Last edited by xnetter; 09-25-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:17 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnetter View Post
So does the QS require only one click to upshift on the front? Does it require much trimming?

I'm running a 10spd Record Ultrashift/9spd Shimano variant of Shimergo using the Hubbub method and the front requires multiple clicks (like, 4-5) to shift a double chainring. Mildly annoying - but on the bright side, I can trim the FD cage to perfection.

Other than that, I really like the quality of shifting from the Shimergo setup. Much smoother than the standard 9spd Ultegra drivetrain I previously had!

KJ
'QS' was still a ratcheting friction type with 7 clicks. QS just made front der movement a little further per click. In actual practice QS and non worked/felt the same.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
'QS' was still a ratcheting friction type with 7 clicks. QS just made front der movement a little further per click. In actual practice QS and non worked/felt the same.
Ah, OK. I always thought QS was "less friction-like" and got panned by some because it didn't provide as much flexibility/precision for different spindle lengths. Thanks for clarifying.

KJ
Old 09-25-2017, 07:08 PM

I ran 8s Shimano/ Campy Centaur and Veloce 10 QS levers for years on my CX bikes. Shimano front derailleurs did work fine (Ultegra), but I found less fussy trim using a campy front derailleur which was actually low-end Mirage. The cable pull is just a little better match I think. FWIW, I also found it best to have 1 "ghost shift" at both hi and low positions rather than 2 ghost shifts at the end- the middle cassette cogs had better chain alignment.

Last edited by zennmotion; 09-25-2017 at 07:10 PM.