Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2018, 07:20 PM
Registered (ab)User

Things to do in Boulder when you're not dead?

The missus and I are taking a vacation to Boulder CO next month. Never been. tbh the only reason we're going is that numerous friends and family have told us "Oh, you guys would love Boulder!"
...but they haven't explicitly told us why.

So -- besides visiting Vecchio's, obviously -- what's good to do in Boulder CO? Any must-see places or events?

We'll be in CO to do the Triple Bypass, so we'll have our bikes with us and we definitely want to check out the road riding near Boulder. Any good routes we should do, or local clubs we should hook up with? We also like other outdoor activities, so if hiking or rafting or building huts out of mud and twigs is de rigueur, give us the inside scoop please.

We're also foodies, so we'll be looking for excellent cuisine. Doesn't have to be too fancy. Does have to be on the quiet side though.

Culture? What's Boulder have to offer?

Hook us up, yo! Thanks.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:24 PM

Thumbs up

Obviously a steak and shot of rye is in order.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:03 PM

Small town, lots of very good food in the immediate area. Riding is amazing as you know. Rent mtbs for a day and go carve.

Source: we used to only take riding/eating vacations. Baby on the way has changed things a little!
Old 06-17-2018, 08:09 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-20-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:14 PM

Excel Sports is a cool place to visit. University of Colorado campus is nice. There are some pretty hip restaurants in the old downtown area. There are some nice hikes that take you to heights above the city, that offer great views.

Rocky Mountain National Park is not terribly far away, I don't think. I hiked there and loved it.

If you are willing to drive a bit, the US Air Force Academy is in Colorado Springs. If you like to visit bike shops, Colorado Cyclist is there, too.

When I visited Boulder I didn't get to ride. I did observe a lot of road cyclists about, many on "dream" bikes that you would only see in catalogs back then I did see several pros training there - some US Postal dudes and guys from other teams that are now defunct. As you can tell by the US Postal mention, it's been a few years since I've been there

Last edited by berserk87; 06-17-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:15 PM

I see you're from NYC. I lived in Philly before I moved to Boulder about 10 yrs back.

But I have got to laugh -- Culture? In Boulder? Bwaha hah hah hah

Seriously, after roaming the east coast (NYC, Philly, DC), I find the culture and food in Boulder to be seriously lacking. I do not mean to come off as a snob but my experience has been that compared to the plethora of ethnic cultures and the absolutely delicious foods that the east coast has to offer, Boulder's offerings are abysmal. Sure there are some nice neopolitan pizza places but nothing really to rave about. I mean, I would never say -- "Go to Boulder and eat at "this" place". Especially to someone who is from NYC. Yeah, you could go to "Pizzeria Locale" and they have good pizza. But nothing really, as I have said, to write home about. I feel the same can be said of many fancy/expensive restaurants.

I used to frequent a chocolate shop in SoHo called MarieBelle for their gelato -- worth dying for and served only during the summer, at least while I was there. When I came to Boulder, I visited their best (according to yelp) gelato places. Meh...really? Boulderites rave about this?

Anyway, I will stop now because I have come across as a snob. At least a food snob. Also, I did not come to live in Boulder for food, anyway. So, I would suggest that you do not have high expectations.

Now having badmouthed my beloved city (for it's food), this is, as you are aware, a place for sublime outdoor adventures. I revel in any outdoor activity I partake in from frolicking (running/hiking) in the Boulder mountains, road biking to a myriad different places all along the foothills (not to mention access to other rides nearby within driving distance), and few mountain biking places. I am sure many others will chime in on what these are. If not, I'd be happy to PM you, if you'd like.

So, come and enjoy our city, it's open spaces, and the mountains. Just keep in check, your expectations for food and culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
The missus and I are taking a vacation to Boulder CO next month. Never been. tbh the only reason we're going is that numerous friends and family have told us "Oh, you guys would love Boulder!"
...but they haven't explicitly told us why.

So -- besides visiting Vecchio's, obviously -- what's good to do in Boulder CO? Any must-see places or events?

We'll be in CO to do the Triple Bypass, so we'll have our bikes with us and we definitely want to check out the road riding near Boulder. Any good routes we should do, or local clubs we should hook up with? We also like other outdoor activities, so if hiking or rafting or building huts out of mud and twigs is de rigueur, give us the inside scoop please.

We're also foodies, so we'll be looking for excellent cuisine. Doesn't have to be too fancy. Does have to be on the quiet side though.

Culture? What's Boulder have to offer?

Hook us up, yo! Thanks.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
...Culture? What's Boulder have to offer?...
The Colorado Shakespeare Festival (https://cupresents.org/series/shakes...RoC1ewQAvD_BwE) is wonderful. We go to one or two shows a year and they have all been great. I've seen Shakespeare in many venues on three continents over the last 40 years and I like these productions more than any of the others, including Stratford. Just make sure you catch one of the outdoor shows in the Mary Rippon Outdoor Theatre. Shakespeare outdoors is always a treat, especially on a beautiful Colorado night. They are doing Richard III this year, which we will definitely go see, but only indoors. Evidently they were not in the giving vein with Dicky 3. But they are doing Love's Labour's Lost outside.

I caught Love's Labour's Lost on opening night two weeks ago and they did a great job, as usual. It isn't a play that has been produced frequently over the last 400 years, so see it when you can. If you go to Love's Labour's Lost, make sure you are there by 7:00 and sit through the prologue, a short lecture on the play that precedes the performance every night. I hadn't read the play in 30 years, so the refresher was welcome. And give yourself some extra time, the theater is in the open courtyard of an academic building and if you don't know the campus and where to park, it can take a bit of time to find it.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:47 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-20-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
I find the culture and food in Boulder to be seriously lacking.
My wife and I (both uncultured hillbillies ) like to go to Jax fish house on Pearl Street. I know it sounds strange to mention seafood for this part of the country, but we like it, and others seem to as well.

As far as rides go, definitely check out Flagstaff, which has great views of the plains and Flatirons.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:36 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

As a tourist who wishes he could get out there more frequently, a day driving down to Colorado Springs (Air Firce Academy, US Olympic Center - if anything is going on), drive through Garden of the Gods, and then on to Manitou Springs (a cool town), and up Pikes Peak (drive if the weather is nice, take the incline railway if only OK but bring a warm coat either way).

That would be a Day well spent.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:42 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

You have to check out RMNP

https://www.nps.gov/romo/index.htm

https://gearpatrol.com/2014/09/04/ro...-highest-road/

Last edited by Louis; 06-18-2018 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:32 AM

I will also be out there for the TBP. A route we have done a few days prior:
Drive just out of Boulder north to Buckingham Park on Left Hand Canyon Drive. Go down the hill to 36. Up to Lyons. Up St.Vrains to Peak to Peak Hwy. To Ward. Down the hill back to the car. 48 miles over 4000 feet of climbing.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:43 AM

I agree with above......The Boulder of the 70's and 80's, that most of us tourists envision....doesn't exist anymore. To me....it's just another large, busy front range city. Just part of a larger metropolitan area. And just like other large cities.....sure there is a lot you can do. Pearl St still interesting to walk around.

If I went again to Colorado in mid to late summer, after all the roads get cleaned up after winter mess, with a bike.....would probably prefer to go to Frisco, Glenwood Springs-Aspen, or even Fort Collins.

Now if I had a career, family, and home there.....would love it. Just don't see it anymore as a tourist destination.

Last edited by Ralph; 06-18-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:55 AM
Proud Grandpa

Boulder is great..OMG, not New York City!!!! But geez...
Mateos
Jax Fish House
Boxcar coffee
Sushi Zanmai
Japangos..
hard to go wrong
I KNOW it isn't NEW YORK CITY but not nutz to butts with millions of people either.

Rapha store(right down from Vecchio's)
Park at Vecchio's and walk down the mall to about 9th st. Always something to see.

Chautauqua park
Garden of the Gods(Colorado Springs..a truly weird city)
Manitou Springs
Drive or ride up to Jamestown or Ward
Boulder Falls
Nederland

Just off the top of my head..I know, it's not NEW YORK CITY..butb a nice, comfy, weird place..35 miles surrounded by reality..People's Republic of Boulder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSxnieYctVM

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 06-18-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:56 AM

skip boulder if you're looking for culture.

the outdoors are boulder's best quality. great hiking, etc. right outside your door in boulder.