Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2018, 05:56 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

I've got the same issue here in the DC area.

Garage = bike shop and it gets warm in there!

M
Old 06-16-2018, 06:07 PM

Same issue in Dallas. There's no real solution to lowering the temperature. I had a house here with an air conditioner in the wall -- a 2-car garage that shared walls on two sides with living spaces and on the third side was mostly shaded. It took close to an hour to make a usable difference.

What I found better was to use a big Lasko industrial fan from Amazon. You have enough insulation that you aren't just collecting baking heat inside from the sun on the roof, like in my current place. So I don't think an attic fan or anything like that will really help -- it just swaps one batch of hundred degree heat for another. Since you say air conditioning is out, check out an industrial fan. The more it points at your face, the more it'll seem to be cooling you (one that sits on the concrete and cools your calves does not do much for comfort). That, and lots of cold drinks.

And by the way, if you're parking your car in the garage, it's a huge heat emitter. Pull it out for a while at least before you use the garage.

I'd seriously try to do at least a modicum of your work in the house -- stake out at least a small area where you can set up and perhaps keep a tool box or two and your bike stand in a corner. That's what I actually do when it rains or is cold, even if I have to carry it in and take it all back out afterwards. If you have a back yard with trees you might find it nicer to get an inexpensive cart and put your stand and tools in it; roll it out under the trees to work on your bike -- that's my clear skies approach.

My last suggestion, offered by my ex: Suck it up, buttercup. You wanted to be in Texas.

Last edited by 11.4; 06-16-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:21 PM

I live south of Houston and just have a 21in shop fan. I spent all afternoon out there doing bike and yard stuff after a 3 1/2 hour ride this am. Lots of ice water and getting used to it. Once October hits, you can work in the garage and its much more pleasant.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:05 PM

Look into a mini-split. It will also provide heat in the winter if you get the heat pump version. You don't have to run it all the time, just turn it on when you are going to be out there. Go big so the recovery time is quicker.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:18 PM
Serotta Newbie

I know you said no other doors or windows, but you might be able to exhaust this to the attic. Or a small duct through the garage like a dryer vent that you could use just when using this unit.

I used one in my Florida gulf coast hot/humid and it cooled down my garage workshop nicely. Much cheaper than a split/ductless unit.

http://www.delonghi.com/en-us/produc...r-conditioners
Old 06-16-2018, 08:27 PM
coffee consumer

a few ice cold beers and you're good!
Old 06-16-2018, 08:27 PM

I have a 3 car in humid Central Florida. Do most of my garage and bike work early before the garage heats up.....engine heat hurts also.

I use two Patton 20" Industrial fans. One blowing, and one sucking air out. Nothing really helps much, but the fans do help...makes it feel cooler. Fans cool people....not rooms.

The good part....nothing rusts in my garage....from engine and outdoor heat....and maybe some effect from home AC system. Everything rusts and corrodes in my out building...where I store some yard equipment.

Last edited by Ralph; 06-16-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:32 PM

Hey cadence, Chip and Joanna are from the popular Fixer Upper TV show on HGTV. They are based in Waco. Just trying to be funny is all. I'm usually not very successful! Matt
Old 06-16-2018, 09:15 PM

Here is one low tech way to get AC, there are several more on You Tube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITtlxjvLQis
Old 06-16-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Have Chip and Joanna hook you up
That's a good one! No way I could afford them.
Then again, maybe I'll ask them about it next time I ride past their place. Lol
Old 06-16-2018, 09:20 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-20-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:29 PM

Lots of good suggestions for consideration here. Appreciate the input.
FWIW, I do try to get out there early on weekends when I'm not riding, do drink cold water/sports drink if out there in the heat of the day and I can do some work (bike stuff but not major woodworking) in the room in between the house & garage. Also we do not park cars in the garage.
Just part of living in TX. Not much of a budget for anything major with 3 kids in college, but I'll have to re-read this thread some more and see what looks good.

Last edited by Red Tornado; 06-17-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:46 AM

Is it currently vented from the soffits to the ridge? That would be first. Can you cut ou the wall and I install a window? That would be second. The hot air has to be able to get out when the outside air is pushed in. Otherwise- convection as noted earlier-
Old 06-17-2018, 08:17 AM

Seal any obvious air leaks. insulation above and on the sides, venting as Mike said. Then some sort of cooling. Easiest probably could be cutting a 4" hole in one wall and using a freestanding A/C unit (assuming there is no appropriate window for a window unit.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:23 AM

I threw out one of the kids and am using that room for my bike shop, he he. One less mouth to feed also.