Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2018, 03:41 AM
Hrmm

How do you carry tools on your ride? Saddle roll, tool canister, jersey?

Revised: How do you carry tools and what do you use to carry them? Bottle cage tool canister, under seat storage or something else?

What tool carrying device do you use and whats in yours? I'm weighing options to carry emergency tools on the bike instead of on my person.

So far the Outvi Possm seems most ideal since it stays on the rails but I'm also considering the Velocolour options.

Mostly I just carry a tube, multitool, extra masterlink, patch kit and levers maybe. Not sure I need much else.

How and what are you folks packing for your rides generally?

Last edited by Asudef; 06-13-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:14 AM
aka RAEKWON

I love my ile tool bag. I have had many rolls and this is by far my favorite since you can acess the tools without having to remove it from the bike.

In it I have multitool, a tube, quicklink, tire lever and carbon paste (I have had seatpost slippage ruin a ride so never again)
Old 06-11-2018, 04:27 AM
but not really

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...kaAuoFEALw_wcB

I fit a Pedro's multi tool with chain tool, tire lever and road or CX tube inside. Cash, ID, and patches of I needed too.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=223290
Old 06-11-2018, 09:14 AM

Jandd Min Bag

Tube, tire lever, patch kit, pedros multi+chain tool, Co2 inflator, master link, ID card with med info, and some cash. Also carry a small Lezyne pump on the bike.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:50 PM
Hrmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Haha thanks. Since that was more focused on multitools, I wanted something to carry that in besides a jersey pocket. Maybe the subject wasn't worded properly.

So far the ILE bag seems like what I'm looking for though. Not too crazy technical like the Outvi and still simple and secure. Will go check it out this week, thanks!
Old 06-13-2018, 07:29 AM

https://silca.cc/products/seat-roll-premio
Old 06-13-2018, 07:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asudef View Post
Haha thanks. Since that was more focused on multitools, I wanted something to carry that in besides a jersey pocket. Maybe the subject wasn't worded properly.

So far the ILE bag seems like what I'm looking for though. Not too crazy technical like the Outvi and still simple and secure. Will go check it out this week, thanks!
Not trying to be critical but I also think it depends a LOT of where/what ya ride. Road only, unsupported tour, dirt, gravel, MTB, etc. For road only, I carry a spare tire(tubular), a modified paint can opener, $10 and a cellie in me pocket.
Opener and $10 rolled in spare tire. Only needed a tool once in about 35 years..loose cleat. And if ya research my posts, one other thing...
Old 06-13-2018, 08:03 AM
Administrator

posted in the other thread, but i'll put the rundown and pic here too:

-everything in the small rapha essentials case.
-silca multi-tool
-mini leatherman with pliers. used this dozens of times, various uses.
-plastic tire lever
-spoke key - have definitely trued up wheels on the road that took major hits to prevent brake rub and make it home.
-spare tube
-either lezyne mini-pump or frame pump, depending on bike.

(if i'm riding tubulars, i carry a mini bottle of sealant, and if i'm riding tubies and going long/far, i carry a spare pre-glued tire)

Old 06-13-2018, 08:05 AM
Registered (ab)User

Every bike of mine has a saddlebag (Arundel Dual on the two "good" bikes, Arkel Waterproof on the commuter/foul weather bike) containing two tubes, two tire levers, and one multi-tool. There might be a spare KMC masterlink and/or a couple CR2032 batteries for my odometer buried in there too, but that's a surprise rather than me being intentionally prudent.

Pumps are all clipped onto the side of the bottle-cage via a Blackburn CK-1 (?) mount.

Only things in my pockets are phone, wallet, keys, & food.

What was the question?
Old 06-13-2018, 09:55 AM

it depends...

summer road: Silca Premio w/tube, lever, patch kit, boot, park tool MT-1. frame pump on the bike.

winter road or cyclocross riding: same as above, but in a lezyne cargo bottle dealie. I don't need two bottles in these situations and seat bags are annoying when you wash your bike frequently. oh and I swap multi-tools for a lezyne SRV10 and add a chain quick link.

MTB: same as cyclocross kit, but with a MTB specific tube and a large volume hand pump in the pocket instead of frame pump.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:36 AM

Every bolt on my bike that I might need to adjust while out on a ride - stem, seat post and clamp, cleat bolts - are all 4mm hex heads, by design. So other than a spare tub and co2 under my saddle, all I take is a 4mm bit and Prestaflate ratchet in my back pocket. Keepin' it simple.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:41 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
Every bolt on my bike that I might need to adjust while out on a ride - stem, seat post and clamp, cleat bolts - are all 4mm hex heads, by design. So other than a spare tub and co2 under my saddle, all I take is a 4mm bit and Prestaflate ratchet in my back pocket. Keepin' it simple.
I'm surprised there isn't more of this. Also, would be very curious to do a survey of what repairs actually occur out on the road, and what tool was needed.

Limit screws are one that I could see needing to deal with if you have a wheel issue, and they are generally not hex.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Also, would be very curious to do a survey of what repairs actually occur out on the road, and what tool was needed.
Someone once said, "The tools a rider brings with them tells a history of all the things that they have broken on a ride."
Old 06-13-2018, 02:44 PM
Randomhead

mine mostly is a reflection of what I have seen other people break on a ride