Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2018, 07:14 AM

OT: Building a basic workbench

I didn't want to hijack anyone else's workshop/workbench threads

I wanted to put something together with some wood I have laying around the house. So, I've got 2x4x8 studs, 4x4 posts (3.5x3.5 in reality), and 3/4" plywood. I was just going to use the 3.5x3.5's as the legs and tie them together with the studs, but I just wasn't sure if should place the studs on the outside of the legs or on the inside? Any benefit either way?

Additionally, should the frame be a bit narrower than the top and have it overhang? Any need/benefit in doing that?

I'm sure the first question doesn't matter either way, it'll all hold together, but what would *you* do if you were building it?
Old 06-06-2018, 07:46 AM

It probably doesn't matter...but...

I'd put the 2x4s outboard of the legs. You're going to fasten the plywood to that top 2x4 rim, and having the rim outboard will support the plywood closer to the edge of the top.

The bench in my workshop is similar, and it looks a bit more finished than if the vertical supports were outboard. Leave a couple of inches of overhang.

I'd also run a couple of 2x4s crosswise under the top for added support. It's nice to have a *really* stable work surface.

Are you going finish the plywood edge with something? Big box pine is so soft these days...I'd consider a strip of 1x2 hardwood (maple, oak)... Finish the plywood - paint or stain/poly, then add the edge in a contrasting finish.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 06-06-2018, 08:09 AM

this is a picture i saw of a basic workbench that i am thinking of building and the plans:

http://www.ana-white.com/2015/12/fre...shop-workbench
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ana-white-easy-diy-workbench-plans.jpg (30.3 KB, 352 views)
Old 06-06-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancw3 View Post
this is a picture i saw of a basic workbench that i am thinking of building and the plans:

http://www.ana-white.com/2015/12/fre...shop-workbench
That appears to be what I'm going for

I went so far as to pick up casters for the legs so I can move it easily, since I haven't figured out exactly where I want it in the basement.. Have way too much random furniture down there that needs to be consolidated -- right now all my tools are in a dresser that was in the house when we bought it!
Old 06-06-2018, 08:56 AM

I built one in fall 2016 that is very similar to the pictured one.

I did consult some of the online plans but customized mine a little bit, first to make it taller as I'm 6'1", second to use wood I already had.

I put a back on mine to prevent little parts from rolling off the back. Not necessarily a concern for a woodworker who might want to put large parts on it but I do stuff like bike work and electronics and guitar work where there's a lot more little parts that can fall off the back annoyingly.

Make sure to leave room for a vise.

I was trying to be cheap wood, my legs are doubled up 2x4s and such. I made the shelf + bench top out of a left over sheet of floor grade plywood I had. I spent a decent amount of time filling and sanding the top and got a real nice smooth result. I left it unfinished as a lot of what I read said it's better to leave it unfinished because if you make a mess you can just sand off the mess. (e.x. spilled glue or something)

It is pretty easy stuff even if you're not an experienced builder (like me) as long as you just take your time and check everything for alignment/square as you go. Quick clamps, a good saw and a power drill/screwdriver come in real handy. I screwed mine together with square head screws and it is incredibly strong and solid.

Last edited by benb; 06-06-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:06 AM

BTW you do want the overhang like in the designs, it can make it easier to clamp large items to the workbench for working on them.

I built a bookshelf type piece of furniture and I clamped some large pieces of wood to the bench that way for sanding & such... it might not have been a deal breaker if I hadn't but the legs & stuff could get in the way more.

Also when you are standing at the bench the overhang allows you to stand a little closer to the bench without your feet/legs hitting the shelf/legs.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:12 AM

My workbench has the top larger than the frame. Like mentioned above, I like it as when I'm working my feet and legs have someplace to go and isn't as awkward if I sit down to do something at the bench either. Mine is 2x4, with similar legs, double layer 3/4 mdf top with a 1x2 edges (beveled slightly so little bearings and such wont immediately hit the floor) and 1/4" masonite over top that I can replace if it gets too beat up.

I only have a picture of the bench vise corner, but currently you can't see the rest as it is covered in debris from too many different projects.

Last edited by cmbicycles; 06-06-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:06 AM

While not basic, i built a few of these. Framing corners and adjustable feet with cabinet grade plywood. $135 all in. 30” deep x 84” wide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2FFFB90B-DCFA-46ED-B8E1-330F0C772F39.jpg (75.8 KB, 312 views)
Old 06-06-2018, 10:58 AM

Whatever design you choose, I would try to use as many "bolted" connections as possible, and where bolts aren't feasible go with "screwed" connections. "Nailed" connections just aren't tight enough. You'll end up with a much more solid assembly going with bolted and screwed connections.

Good luck and don't forget to post pictures of the final product.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:54 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

I too need a new bench and really like this. I'm handy but don't have any woodworking tools. What might I need to build something like this - aside from raw materials?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
While not basic, i built a few of these. Framing corners and adjustable feet with cabinet grade plywood. $135 all in. 30” deep x 84” wide.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
I too need a new bench and really like this. I'm handy but don't have any woodworking tools. What might I need to build something like this - aside from raw materials?
You could put that together with a circular saw, cordless drill, and a traditional handsaw with out much difficulty. An impact driver, power mitre saw, and a jig saw would make things go faster, but aren't a requirement.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:33 PM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

This link helped... https://www.oneprojectcloser.com/how...uty-workbench/
Old 06-06-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
A compound miter saw and a drill. I had Home Depot cut the ply wood to size in store, I ordered the feet from Amazon all other parts available at Home Depot. Oh I used a jig saw to notch the lower sheet to fit in. I also used small brackets under the ply wood and short screws to hold the top on - so the top has no screws showing.

Last edited by Mikej; 06-06-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:51 PM
extremely tall

I would add to this: Get a Swanson Speed Square. One of the simplest, most useful tools you'll ever own for basic carpentry. Makes it easy and fast to cut 45/90˚ with a circular saw. Tons of uses, but would make this project a snap with the other tools mentioned by batman.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Swanson-...0101/304159110

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
You could put that together with a circular saw, cordless drill, and a traditional handsaw with out much difficulty. An impact driver, power mitre saw, and a jig saw would make things go faster, but aren't a requirement.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:41 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

I always measure to my belly button and build to that height.

Makes working on stuff more natural

M