Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-15-2018, 11:13 AM

Sizing help: Shimano S-Sphyre RC9 wide

I have read as much I as could read on the internet and am still confused on the sizing of Shimano S-Phyre Shoes.

I simply have one question for those who have used it.
Q) Are these true to size compared to your other shoes from Specialized, SIDI etc, or did you have to size up or down?

Thanks for the help. I really have heard good things about these shoes and would like to purchase them.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:20 PM

interesting, those are exactly the brands i choose between as well. probably for wide feet people, they're the best options available

i don't have the sphyre, but i do have a pair of xc7 wide that i believe are all based on the same last. depending on brand, i waffle between 42 and 43, usually 43 tho. in these shimanos, the 43 fit great, true to size. the wide version is the goldilocks for me. sidi mega were inconsistent, some good, some too wide. specialized wide feel a bit narrower than the shimano wide.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
interesting, those are exactly the brands i choose between as well. probably for wide feet people, they're the best options available
NOT disagreeing with those as options but you'd be remiss not to include Lake in the list of options. I got some wide feet and prefer Bont's on road and my Lake MX237 for MTB. Tons 'o room.

Quote:
i don't have the sphyre, but i do have a pair of xc7 wide
I too have these and love em. My only beef would be that I'm 'tad' disappointed with the ratcheting system getting stuck or being hard to release when removing....but other than that these have proven to be great shoe for the money.

I'm at work currently but when i get home i'll report back on exact sizing for each brand as I've currently got Lake, Shimano, and big S in my closet.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:38 PM
needs adult supervision

True to size, in my experience.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:

i don't have the sphyre, but i do have a pair of xc7 wide that i believe are all based on the same last. depending on brand, i waffle between 42 and 43, usually 43 tho. in these shimanos, the 43 fit great, true to size. the wide version is the goldilocks for me. sidi mega were inconsistent, some good, some too wide. specialized wide feel a bit narrower than the shimano wide.
+1 on the xc7; wide toebox. My right foot is wider than my left, and I need to wider toebox. 43W feels true to size
Old 06-15-2018, 01:07 PM

interestingly, i tried on a set of the rapha gt shoes, which i believe are made for them by giro. (tho i've no idea if they use a giro last or if rapha specs their own)
they don't have designated wide sizes so i wasn't expecting it to fit, but they did fit quite well actually. ended up buying a pair, we'll see how they feel on the bike.

if i wasn't able to try it on in person, i probably never would have considered them
Old 06-15-2018, 01:11 PM

lake does come up often and i wish they had more of a retail presence so i could try them in store.

re the ratchet, try contacting boa directly. i believe they support the closure system themselves directly, regardless of shoe manufacturer.
https://www.boafit.com/support

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
NOT disagreeing with those as options but you'd be remiss not to include Lake in the list of options. I got some wide feet and prefer Bont's on road and my Lake MX237 for MTB. Tons 'o room.

I too have these and love em. My only beef would be that I'm 'tad' disappointed with the ratcheting system getting stuck or being hard to release when removing....but other than that these have proven to be great shoe for the money.

I'm at work currently but when i get home i'll report back on exact sizing for each brand as I've currently got Lake, Shimano, and big S in my closet.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:26 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
lake does come up often and i wish they had more of a retail presence so i could try them in store.
+1000

With wide puppies, Lake is very high on my wish list. Just having a way to zero-in on the correct size in person would be great.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:49 PM

Thanks guys! Appreciate the feedback.
Seems to me that these run true to size.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:58 PM

Lakecycling.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
+1000

With wide puppies, Lake is very high on my wish list. Just having a way to zero-in on the correct size in person would be great.
James, I just ordered a pair of Lake CX241 wide after using their measurement tool here
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kidde-Fi...7477/207088782

Bikeshoes.com carries Lake and they are fantastic to work with, free returns, and they will take a return even if worn, and they offer a 20% discount! Worth a try.

Looking forward to giving Lake a try, my epic cycling shoe journey continues...

quattro
Old 06-17-2018, 10:40 AM

Just a note, but the Shimano size chart seems to be a little on the small size when looking at mm lengths (and even seems to have a misprint on their website) vs. some other brands. I went from a 42 in Specialized and have been trying a 42.5 in RC9s for a couple weeks now (both have a 270mm last in length). I also had a concern for wider feet so sizing up seemed to make sense and I've been happy so far.

Glory Cycles have the white on sale right now too in case anyone needs.

Editing note: I should clarify, I bought the *regular* Sphyres and sized up a half size and have been happy with the room. Avoided going to the wide version of the RC9s as I heard they were really wide (and I have a discrepancy between feet so didn't want to be swimming in one shoe).

Last edited by Seamus; 06-17-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:52 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro View Post
James, I just ordered a pair of Lake CX241 wide after using their measurement tool here
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kidde-Fi...7477/207088782

Bikeshoes.com carries Lake and they are fantastic to work with, free returns, and they will take a return even if worn, and they offer a 20% discount! Worth a try.

Looking forward to giving Lake a try, my epic cycling shoe journey continues...

quattro
Thanks for the resource! I’ll definitely check it out. And I hope your epic journey is fruitful!