Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2020, 02:50 PM
Administrator

future of campy and lower gearing?

Right now Chorus-12 is the only crankset offered in 48/32, which i think is an awesome front gear combo for what i do. paired with 11-34 in the back, it covers everything i would ever need.

does anyone have any insight or insider knowledge of where campy is going in the near future?

will be see centaur expanded to a lower gearing crank? maybe return veloce or potenza to the scene ?

there are rumors of the 1x13 group coming? what model will that group be? something new?

Daytona?? hello???

i would love to see an alloy centaur or potenza or athena crankset with 48/32 rings come to light soon.

any ideas??
Old 07-06-2020, 02:52 PM

I think Campy dropped "Daytona" because another company had a trademark registered like it already.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:01 PM

The rumor over on WW is that Potenza is getting replaced, possibly with a classic styled group. I don’t know what that means, but the return of the Athena name and it’s 5-bolt crank makes sense to me. They are also talking about the 1x13 group. Someone posted what looks like a patent drawing of a 32t wide/narrow chainring. It wasn’t clear if it was from Campagnolo but if it is, it gets my mind wandering.

Moving Centaur to a subcompact similar to chorus only makes sense to me. With the rumors above in mind, it could create a well rounded product family.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:52 PM

What campagnolo needs to do is to get back record C with delta brakes, everything silver and some black accents.

The technology is there now, example, modify the potenza crankset or just relabel it, The FD and RD from the potenza... Brake calipers, just grab an old skeleton chorus or even a record one and put the blu gem to it, silver, parallel just develop a new set of deltas, this time with some carbon pieces like the cover.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:04 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
What campagnolo needs to do is to get back record C with delta brakes, everything silver and some black accents.

The technology is there now, example, modify the potenza crankset or just relabel it, The FD and RD from the potenza... Brake calipers, just grab an old skeleton chorus or even a record one and put the blu gem to it, silver, parallel just develop a new set of deltas, this time with some carbon pieces like the cover.
with all the respect, these are all terrible ideas that would do nothing for campy. They would sell like 5 of them. The blue gem was hideous and why would campy develope a new delta when everyone is moving into discs.

I think people like the idea of a retro inspired group but then when it would be time to buy, few would buy it.

I am wondering if campy will dip their toes into 1x. They will definitely get subcompacts in a cheaper alloy crank and I think that would be super smart. Campy should come out with budget gravel group.

12 speed. Alloy everything. Disc brakes. $600/700 all in. Pretty much some sort of centaur with a subcompact. Would compete a bit with chorus but would be heavier. Also would make people have to buy campy cassettes which would be a benefit for them. Would compete with 105.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I think Campy dropped "Daytona" because another company had a trademark registered like it already.
Campy used the name Daytona because it was also a prestigious wristwatch with ties to auto racing. The watch people were likely paying royalties to Daytona speedway.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post

Campy, I think quite rightly, is not in the retro-fetish business.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Right now Chorus-12 is the only crankset offered in 48/32, which i think is an awesome front gear combo for what i do. paired with 11-34 in the back, it covers everything i would ever need.

does anyone have any insight or insider knowledge of where campy is going in the near future?

will be see centaur expanded to a lower gearing crank? maybe return veloce or potenza to the scene ?

there are rumors of the 1x13 group coming? what model will that group be? something new?

Daytona?? hello???

i would love to see an alloy centaur or potenza or athena crankset with 48/32 rings come to light soon.

any ideas??
I don't see Campy doing subcompact in Record or SR unless sales on subcompact Chorus are really good. I'm not sure if the Chorus 12 rings work on either of the higher groups.

Sort of from what I'd heard, it seems like 1x13 will be more of a Chorus level or lower type group.

I would really like a nice modern polished Campy group, but I'm not holding out too much hope since I don't think there would be a big enough market to support it.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Campy, I think quite rightly, is not in the retro-fetish business.
yea, there is no real money in that, and whatevre they might come up with, people will criticize them, so they cant win in that arena. that's fine with me too.

now subcompact gearing, gravel friendly and mid level components are where it's at right now. that's why i'm hoping they expand the subcompact crank options beyond the current chorus offerings.

my overwhelming bet is that the chorus subcompact sold very well.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
Campy used the name Daytona because it was also a prestigious wristwatch with ties to auto racing. The watch people were likely paying royalties to Daytona speedway.
The name "Daytona" by itself can't be trademarked, as it has been the name of a city for hundreds of years. Trademarks can only be registered for specific applications, and others can actually use the trademark name if it is not apt to cause confusion with the trademark holder. If you went to the city of Daytona, Florida, I'm sure you'll see the word 'Daytona' used for many products and services - I'll bet there's a "Daytona Laundromat" down the street from the "Daytona Diner" and the "Daytona Auto Repair" - nobody is likely to confuse these with each other, so they can all use 'Daytona' in their names.

On the other hand, the Chrysler Corporation produced a car under the Dodge brand called the "Dodge Daytona". They would be allowed to trademark the 'Daytona' name as it applies to automobiles, so they could block Ford or GM from also making a car called the 'Daytona'. But you'd still be able to bring your 'Dodge Daytona" to the "Daytona Auto Repair" for an oil change without fear of trademark infringement.

If Campagnolo stopped using the 'Daytona' name for trademark reasons, then someone else must have trademarked the name as applied to bicycles.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
now subcompact gearing, gravel friendly and mid level components are where it's at right now. that's why i'm hoping they expand the subcompact crank options beyond the current chorus offerings.
I'll just mention that with 48/32, the Chorus 12spd crank is more like a mid-subcompact - the chainrings are only 2 teeth smaller than the 'regular' 50/34 compact, afterall. However, the BCD on these cranks allow even smaller chainrings, so they could fit chainrings of the popular 46/30 size, to make it a true subcompact. That would really open it up to the gravel world.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
The name "Daytona" by itself can't be trademarked, as it has been the name of a city for hundreds of years.
See: Roubaix
Old 07-06-2020, 05:18 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I'll just mention that with 48/32, the Chorus 12spd crank is more like a mid-subcompact - the chainrings are only 2 teeth smaller than the 'regular' 50/34 compact, afterall. However, the BCD on these cranks allow even smaller chainrings, so they could fit chainrings of the popular 46/30 size, to make it a true subcompact. That would really open it up to the gravel world.

I like the wording and makes sense but I think most people think of subcompact as anything smaller than compact.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
See: Roubaix
And see where that case went.

Had the 'Roubaix Cafe' been an ice cream shop, with no connection at all to bicycles, there never would have been any case. Even as it was, trying to extend the 'Roubaix' name from a model of bicycle to a bicycle shop was still a very tenuous stretch. Had the bicycle shop been able to afford to hire expensive lawyers, they could have easily batted down any law suite like that.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I like the wording and makes sense but I think most people think of subcompact as anything smaller than compact.
Yeah, I know, we already have "standard" (53/39), mid-compact (52/36), compact (50/34), and subcompact (smaller than those), we probably don't need to subdivide it further. But on the other hand, since many 110mm BCD "compact" cranks can use chainrings down to 33 teeth, stepping down one tooth to 32 doesn't seem to be much of a distinction.