Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2020, 05:56 AM

DT Swiss 1400 Oxic coating coming off

Scored a set of these with Conti GP5000TLs. The Oxic coating on the rear is coming off – presumably from using incorrect brake pads? I didn't ask, because let's say I couldn't buy a single wheel new with what I paid for the whole set. They don't seem to have a lot of mileage but just hard mileage.

Any thoughts on why this happened? Ride them (but what pads to use)? Keep as spare?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3976.jpg (93.0 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3974.jpg (99.0 KB, 192 views)
Old 06-30-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtn View Post
Scored a set of these with Conti GP5000TLs. The Oxic coating on the rear is coming off – presumably from using incorrect brake pads? I didn't ask, because let's say I couldn't buy a single wheel new with what I paid for the whole set. They don't seem to have a lot of mileage but just hard mileage.

Any thoughts on why this happened? Ride them (but what pads to use)? Keep as spare?
I’d ride them. I ran a set of Aforce and they lost their coating after a while, likely because they were all weather wheels and any sand/grit is just going to wear them down that much faster.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle h View Post
I’d ride them. I ran a set of Aforce and they lost their coating after a while, likely because they were all weather wheels and any sand/grit is just going to wear them down that much faster.
Yeah sounds about right. These came from Edinburgh.

Did you notice any braking performance loss on the Aforce sans coating? If not then makes one wonder if ceramic coating is a gimmick.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:38 PM

It's not. It does work, but yes, unfortunately one ride in the rain and grit can rid a ceramic rim of it's coating. I've seen it happen on a friends Exalith equipped Mavic's. Black at the start of the ride. 120km of rain later and the rim was silver. It's just a coating. The underlying rim is all good.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:45 PM

if you want one wheelset to rule 'em all and the oxic it is, then you will inevitably ride it in the rain. and if you do, the coating will come off due to grime/sand/dirt getting stuck in your brake pads.

i have used the oxic wheelset for many years and had nary an issue. the coating never went away. all it became was kinda sorta blueish in color due to the blue swiss stop brake pads. all i did was never ride the bike in rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtn View Post
Yeah sounds about right. These came from Edinburgh.

Did you notice any braking performance loss on the Aforce sans coating? If not then makes one wonder if ceramic coating is a gimmick.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:55 PM

So, I have had the exact same thing happen to me with Boyd Altamont ceramics. Boyd himself confirmed that it will happen if you ride in the rain and grit gets between the pads and the rim - which is very likely to happen.

Boyd supplied Swiss Stop BXP pads with the rim. He said just keep using them. Those pads are basically still an aluminum pad. I remember when you had to use ceramic-specific pads for those coated Mavic rims. However, Boyd, Aforce, and DT don't seem to be using ceramic. I'm not sure what the coating is, but it's not that.

So, is the coating a gimmick? If it's your fair weather steed, then the thing is that you don't need the additional braking power of the coating, so in that sense it's a gimmick. It does look really trick, though. The issue is, even a fair weather bike is occasionally going to get caught in a shower. If it's an all weather bike, then I expect it would get abraded off very quickly in wet weather, so it's a gimmick there also.

Last edited by weiwentg; 06-30-2020 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:23 PM
aka RAEKWON

Or maybe something got caught in the brake pad.

I had a few sets of ceramic boyds and they all started loosing their coating.

One of those things they look great when they are new but then as they start loosing the coating they look worst than normal alum brake wheelsets. As far as brake power, I never noticed they were much better either
Old 06-30-2020, 04:29 PM

I had a set - a few rain rides and they were toast!
Old 06-30-2020, 04:31 PM
aka RAEKWON

Thats also how The coat on my boyds went to crap, a few rain rides. Of course they dont advertise that on their site.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:50 PM

And I was thinking of getting a brand new set of the 32 version as my all weather all conquering wheels... Stuff they don't tell you before purchase for sure.

Appreciate the knowledge y'all!
Old 06-30-2020, 06:36 PM

HED Ardennes Black seem to fare better in this regard.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:21 AM

The hubs are souped-up DT240's with improved geometry. Re-lace them to a rim of your choice (while stocks last...) ;-)