Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2020, 12:48 PM

How many consecutive days/rest?

I was struck in the other thread (That moment...) when it was mentioned a 58-day streak (and counting).
Curious of how many of you incorporate off-days.
I ride for fitness-only and aspired to do better at the turn of the year. I went about a month without a break (running inside and XC skiing on weekends) and ended up crunched into a too-much-to-do forced break. From there I aspired to do a month continuous and take the first of the next month off. That spiraled into a week and now I aim for at least 3 consecutive days before I take an off-day.
The prior school year I did push-ups every day for the whole school year and found it tough to find a break after school got out, despite feeling like it would be prudent for shoulders and wrists and such.

My HRM (Garmin Fenix) will read that 48+ of rest is needed, and I'm not doing any heroic or "epic" rides.

I can also feel the accumulating affects. For example, on my 4th consecutive day of riding last week, I just felt a bit uncomfortable and fatigued in both structure and muscle. So took the next day off.

Ran yesterday and just wrapped up a ride for today. MUGGY in VT today (with showers coming). SOAKED in perspiration and didn't feel a lot of VERVE.

So continuous or breaks?
If rest-days, at what interval?

Would be helpful to understand age/fitness or aspiration, too.

For example, I don't think I gave it nearly the thought when I was younger and could work all day doing demanded tasks and still hop on the bike for a spirited ride.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:19 PM

So many factors here that it is hard to generalize. Do you race? What age are you? what level of fitness? yada yada

As I've gotten older, now 62, find my body needs more recovery time. After a long effort - say 50-70 miles at a good pace, I need at least a couple of days I off bike. It really does help for if I cut it short, not quite as spunky on bike.

Note: I am health compromised so that plays a pretty significant role as well.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:22 PM

I rest on New Years Day once per decade.

In all seriousness, even when I was competing in Cat 2 races I rested at least once weekly. The body needs recovery. Muscle fibers need recovery.

Sometimes several days off is good.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:28 PM

when i'm "training" with purpose, my training cycles are 3-4 consecutive weeks of work followed by a 1 week taper.

each week consist of 4-5 days of actual training, even during tapers.

Last edited by wallymann; 06-29-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:30 PM

I'm 65 and still race mtn bikes.
I am on a two days on, one day off schedule.
I've been doing that about ten years.
So far this year I've got 3700 miles in. All outdoors.
That's the best I can do.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:34 PM

You'd be surprised at how seriously pro athletes take rest days, particularly those who want to play/compete/feel good for more than a couple of high paying seasons.

Zero rest days is mostly a testosterone-fueled Bad Idea practiced by amateurs rather than pros.

To maximize health or long term performance, you need to remember that workout days are for breaking down muscle, and rest days are for muscles to rebuild.

If you don't take rest days, you're not giving your muscles time to rebuild

And once you get past a certain age (ahem) two rest days are better than one. You're a case study where n=1, so your particular case will be different than others.

Diet and sleep also make a huge difference. 7+ hours of sleep is critical. Anything less and you're hamstringing (so to speak) your efforts.

And a good mix of healthy foods is like jet fuel for the body. Brocoli, avocados, blueberries...do some research on foods that mitigate inflammation. Fish (wild preferred over farm raised), meat and poultry without antibiotics, no complex carbs, sugars, processed grains, etc.

You don't have to take all this one at once. Change one thing, make it into a new habit for 30-60 days, then change another...

Oh, and take rest days.

#restdaybrag

Here's a timely article on the issue.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 06-29-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:34 PM

When I was a young, skinny, and single racer, I never rode on Mondays. The other six days were structured based on the time of year and upcoming races. In the weeks before a targeted race, I might add more easy days between hard efforts, but still rode 6 days a week. The big differences between an elite amateur racer and a pro are recovery, diet, and knowing when to go easy.

Now that I'm in my mid 50's and fat, I'm not too concerned about overtraining. I'm sure I eat enough.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:40 PM

The training plans I've been using from Sufferfest all build in at least one or two days a week rest. Some of those include yoga, but most are just truly off days.

And once I get to the end of a program, it'll be a couple weeks rest before starting another block.

Too complex to say what's the right threshold, but I find usually by the end of 4-5 days in a row that are tough, a rest day is welcome.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:50 PM
shimergo

Even if you look at high volume structured training plans (e.g. TrainerRoad), there's at least a day off per week where you're completely off the bike. Even then, there's a day in between the other workouts where there's an "active recovery" ride where you're basically just spinning at low power. It's just to keep your legs fluid and to keep them moving. If you truly want to keep going, you can potentially work in some of these types of rides.

IMO, in the end just listen to your body. Recommendations can be given, but you know yourself the best.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:55 PM

I do about 17hrs on average a week - Every six weeks I take 7 days off. Hard rides on the weekend and short easier stuff during the week - commuting etc.....Works for me and I'm having a blast!
Old 06-29-2020, 03:04 PM

Thanks...

You guys are making me feel much better about my approach.

Feel free to continue to share advice and perspective, but my inquiry has been answered.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:18 PM

Ride Tues-Weds, off Thurs, ride Fri-Sat. Total of about 120-140 miles, lots of elevation change. Mon & Thurs watch grandkids, lots of lifting and bending. Sunday walk with Mrs.Doc.

At 69 and retired, that’s a good as it gets.

Little different this week, on beach vacation. Doing 20 mile sprints each morning with either daughter or SiL, who have been training like mad on their Peloton since January. Average speed today was 22.3mph. Not bad for an old man...
Old 06-29-2020, 03:41 PM
DELETE ACCNT

If its performance/race based metric, many are eternally overtrained.

-easy days are too hard,
-hard days are not hard enough because they are too tired from the easy days

recovery IS training. The idea is to stress your body, then allow it to adapt to that new stress level.

If you never let your body adapt, it just wears it down.

-rest days, rest.
-easy days, go easy
-hard days, hit it truly hard and be specific.

If you're not racing/going for performance gains, then just rest until you feel like riding.
Just enjoying without a training plan is great too.
If you don't feel like it, don't ride. Don't feel guilty about it.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:43 PM

I coach high school cross-country (running, not MTB).

I tell my kids all the time, to the point where it's a refrain, that most athlete's hard days aren't hard enough, and their easy days aren't easy enough.

Rest days are critical if you're in a serious training program.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
If its performance/race based metric, many are eternally overtrained.

-easy days are too hard,
-hard days are not hard enough because they are too tired from the easy days

recovery IS training. The idea is to stress your body, then allow it to adapt to that new stress level.

If you never let your body adapt, it just wears it down.

-rest days, rest.
-easy days, go easy
-hard days, hit it truly hard and be specific.

If you're not racing/going for performance gains, then just rest until you feel like riding.
Just enjoying without a training plan is great too.
If you don't feel like it, don't ride. Don't feel guilty about it.
Yeah, that.