Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Why do you 'need' it? Be careful that your passion doesn't become a job, something that you may dread, a 'problem' that needs to be solved......

If I don't feel like riding, I don't.
It's good to have goals. My current goal is to regain lost fitness which involves digging myself out of a 3.5 year hole where I was traveling continuously in a high-stress job. I gained a ton of weight and hit numbers I'd never seen in my life, lost my base fitness, and generally was the least healthy I've been in my life.

90 days in, I've lost 16% of my weight putting myself back in an appropriate weight range while putting on muscle and regaining a good level of base fitness.

My weekly goals at the moment are 250 miles a week and when I can get to 300 I'm going to push to get there because that's satisfying (I've had three 300 mile weeks and they are now, with my regained fitness, coming easier and more consistently -- 3 of last 4).

When I ride I alternate between music and podcasts and both help my head. I see a lot of beautiful things. Socialize with dogs trying to eat me or just running alongside to say hello. All this without store stops (thanks Covid craziness) by carrying more water than a camel.

I prefer to exercise my love of bikes by riding them.

YMMV, all of our situations are different, and if your love of bikes means a ride in the neighborhood to pick up coffee and then head home to catch up on the community here that's awesome.

Last, back to goals, as my fitness is coming back I'm trying to determine my next goal. I watched a bunch of youtube documentaries last night about The Great Divide Trail. 2700 miles. Long stretches without services. I'm probably a year of planning and prep but I think that's my next big goal.

What's your goal for post-Covid craziness (what keeps you going in these strange times)? What's you daily or weekly goal with regard to riding bikes?

Last edited by oldfatslow; 06-29-2020 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfatslow View Post
It's good to have goals. My current goal is to regain lost fitness which involves digging myself out of a 3.5 year hole where I was traveling continuously in a high-stress job. I gained a ton of weight and hit numbers I'd never seen in my life, lost my base fitness, and generally was the least healthy I've been in my life.

90 days in, I've lost 16% of my weight putting myself back in an appropriate weight range while putting on muscle and regaining a good level of base fitness.

My weekly goals at the moment are 250 miles a week and when I can get to 300 I'm going to push to get there because that's satisfying (I've had three 300 mile weeks and they are now, with my regained fitness, coming easier and more consistently -- 3 of last 4).

When I ride I alternate between music and podcasts and both help my head. I see a lot of beautiful things. Socialize with dogs trying to eat me or just running alongside to say hello. All this without store stops (thanks Covid craziness) by carrying more water than a camel.

YMMV, all of our situations are different, and if your love of bikes means a ride in the neighborhood to pick up coffee and then head home to catch up on the community here that's awesome.

Last, back to goals, as my fitness is coming back I'm trying to determine my next goal. I watched a bunch of youtube documentaries last night about The Great Divide Trail. 2700 miles. Long stretches without services. I'm probably a year of planning and prep but I think that's my next big goal.

What's your goal for post-Covid craziness (what keeps you going in these strange times)? What's you daily or weekly goal with regard to riding bikes?
Old 06-29-2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:

I'm with you here. I don't want to worship numbers either but they give me goals to shoot for. My life has also been full of work obligations, some of which were self-induced and I'm being forced to reduce because of the COVID situation. It's actually been nice.

I'm not yet up to 200 miles/week but it's not impossible. The issue with that is where I ride being mediocre, at best. But there are solutions to be found. More miles equals more smiles for me.

As to the helmet, get another one, wash them after every ride or two in the summer and rotate through at least two of them. Same with gloves. It keeps it much nicer.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:28 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallerman View Post
Is this why I have at least 5 helmets hanging in my basement?
that's why *I* have em on the helmet shelf.

...and why there're more than 1 pair of shoes.

...and more'n 1 pair of bibs.

etc

M
Old 06-29-2020, 09:54 AM

Wear a hat, sweaty helmets are disgusting. But, sometimes you need to skip the ride and eat a taco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZwbCsONsSE
Old 06-29-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
Wear a hat, sweaty helmets are disgusting. But, sometimes you need to skip the ride and eat a taco.
...or 4...
Old 06-29-2020, 01:44 PM

This month I will ride 1000km in a month for the first time ever.

As I approached 700km, it became real that 1000km was possible. I have forced myself to ride a few days that I have not really wanted to ride, but realized the bigger picture was the 1000km.

It has been fun and hard, with no ride over 90km and no ride ending later than 10:30am.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
This month I will ride 1000km in a month for the first time ever.

As I approached 700km, it became real that 1000km was possible. I have forced myself to ride a few days that I have not really wanted to ride, but realized the bigger picture was the 1000km.

It has been fun and hard, with no ride over 90km and no ride ending later than 10:30am.
Awesome. Congrats. What's the next goal? Repeat? 3 months in a row? Bigger?
Old 06-29-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Awesome. Congrats. What's the next goal? Repeat? 3 months in a row? Bigger?
With another new family member due in 3 weeks, I am thinking this may be my swan song of riding for the year - this was also another motivator to crank the kms out. Will hopefully get in 600-700 km before the baby comes. The feat for it will be that no ride will be farther than 20km from my house, notwithstanding that most will be 50km long.

I am still hoping to get the same mileage as last year, that only requires another 1000km between now and November.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Oldfatslow(interesting screen name-describes me too)
Quote:
It's good to have goals.
Goals are good, and everybody's is different. MY goals right now is to wake up each day, stay healthy and maybe ride, maybe not. Strange times..

YMMV, yo!
Old 06-30-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:

Great post. Congrats on getting back to where you want to be!

Texbike
Old 06-30-2020, 08:11 AM

I had my best month since 2 different back surgeries and knee surgery.

..now if I could walk (my stenosis, I can ride fine but can't walk 1 mile :-( )
Old 06-30-2020, 09:13 AM

And my goal of 1000km in a month is completed.

Distance = 1016km - may go up to 1020 if I get home early enough to go for a ride with my daughter, total distance includes a few rides with my daughter.
Hours Ridden= 42
Days ridden = 22
Days ridden in the rain = 1

All rides finished and home / back with the family by 10:30 am
Longest ride 88km

And for a gratuitous bike pic when today's ride was done.

Goals are fun, as long as they don't reduce the enjoyment of the activity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1000kmc.jpg (149.0 KB, 20 views)