Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2020, 08:02 AM

That moment...

That moment when you are dragging but need a few more miles to hit your weekly goal and you put on your helmet and it's still soaking wet with day-old sweat from yesterday's ride.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2020, 08:18 AM
Time & Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfatslow View Post
That moment when you are dragging but need a few more miles to hit your weekly goal and you put on your helmet and it's still soaking wet with day-old sweat from yesterday's ride.
Is this why I have at least 5 helmets hanging in my basement?
Old 06-28-2020, 08:19 AM
Administrator

my weekly goal is to enjoy cycling, so when i hit that moment, i crack a cold one.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:51 AM

When I'm not motivated I just pull out the tubular wheels......Fixes that prob everytime!!
Old 06-28-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
my weekly goal is to enjoy cycling, so when i hit that moment, i crack a cold one.

This is the only answer that will make any sense to me. Not only because it makes sense but because I already had it figured out and I'm not even a scientist.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:11 AM

I don't worship the numbers.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
I don't worship the numbers.
I don't either ... BUT yesterday (after stopping mid-ride to change a flat on my wife's car - good thing I was still close to town) I rolled a few extra loops to make sure I broke 800 for the season lol.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:42 AM

First thing I do coming back from a ride is place helmet, shoes, gloves and cap in a place where they'll dry. I've been riding with Paceline caps (have two) under my helmet and they make a big difference in helmet moisture - never had a cycling cap before this (you've heard of early adopters - I'm the other end of the bell curve).

I had a mileage goal of 10 miles/day avg. for 2020, but then COVID19 hit. I have 430 more miles to go to hit my goal, should reach it mid-July. Who'd a thunk it? But I'm not letting the numbers drive my riding. Now that I have a riding streak going, at 58 days, I am trying to ensure I can get out every day.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:27 AM
v a n i l l a

That moment...

Last edited by pdmtong; 06-28-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:00 PM

I just got back from my ride. What's funny is that so many rides start with that feeling but end up being great or even epic. YMMV so I get the "F it, I'm having a beer" and I've had those moments too but more often than not pushing through is rewarding on many levels.

Here's something I might have missed had I not pushed through this morning's yuck moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 12.56.57 PM.jpg (18.1 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 12.57.41 PM.jpg (59.9 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 12.58.24 PM.jpg (63.7 KB, 310 views)
Old 06-28-2020, 07:47 PM

I appreciate this. And I'm inspired by your willingness to go back out there.

Although it's usually more with running, I have spent the past few years on teaching myself to embrace the suck. Enjoy the gross feeling of putting on kit that's already wet. Savour every disgusting bit of a wet shoe going on. Truly understand that each sensation that is gross is a lucky one, something I used to yearn for, every second I could not suffer/have it because of one injury or another. My concussion a couple of years ago gave me a lot of time to reflect and think about/obsess over things, and I channel it every now and again when something feels like it sucks. It may even actually suck. And I would have done anything to get that suck feeling when I was laid up, unable to walk up stairs, unable to roll over in bed.

Riding for miles or a weekly goal is a next step for me. Right now, I'm working on getting back into regular riding at all, and your post inspires me. I appreciate goals too, if for nothing other than a trigger to let fly the chance of something good happening. It usually does, when you're on two wheels...
Old 06-28-2020, 08:08 PM

Yes/No. I've had plenty of rides where I've had to push myself to get started. Usually after 55-65 minutes I feel great, no matter how I felt previously. But sometimes no, and it's OK to nix the day.

My work weeks more often than not, burn me out, physically and mentally. Usually a ride clears, energizes and refreshes me. If I'm not feeling it, that's OK as well. I really don't have any goals anymore. I will never get back to the pace I had 5 years ago. I'm out to enjoy.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:49 PM

I just left Monkless Brewing, belgian quads and Moules for dinner, where do we ride tomorrow? Long story short, if you feel burned out, it means you need to rest and do something fun. Rest is equally important to training, you get stronger when you RECOVER from the work. Listen to your body.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:40 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Why do you 'need' it? Be careful that your passion doesn't become a job, something that you may dread, a 'problem' that needs to be solved......

If I don't feel like riding, I don't.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:

I have only regretted a handful of rides in my life. Every time I think im just not into it but force myself to go.....I feel so glad I went after the ride..... Blow dry that helmet!