Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Wow, what an inappropriate comment to make in any context.
I had no idea what owly was referring to, but assumed it was a reference to someone I didn't know about and honestly just figured it was another instance of me being somewhat out of the loop regarding social media.

Once I saw your post I typed "Ms Cools" in a Google search and based on the first half dozen results gathered he was referring to a blogger/vlogger/instagrammer type who posts about long rides on a bike that uses Rat Trap Pass tires.

Kinda seems like maybe you assumed the worst about someone.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I had no idea what owly was referring to, but assumed it was a reference to someone I didn't know about and honestly just figured it was another instance of me being somewhat out of the loop regarding social media.

Once I saw your post I typed "Ms Cools" in a Google search and based on the first half dozen results gathered he was referring to a blogger/vlogger/instagrammer type who posts about long rides on a bike that uses Rat Trap Pass tires.

Agreed. I do not see how that was a derogatory comment in any way. I know who Ms. Cools is and know she rides RTPs.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post

That post reads 100% like a gross attempt and misogynistic "humor" with a play on your username, at least to me who has never heard of that internet personality. This kind of crap is all too present on forums like this.

I'm sorry to have jumped to an incorrect conclusion.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:06 PM

I can see that. Props for the mea culpa.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:12 PM

Hmmn.

Mentioned Ms Cools as I'm familiar with Henry Wildberry and their vids which I like.

Henry's style; I could easily see him interviewing Ms Cools a bit more in depth about why she runs RTP.

Last edited by owly; 06-29-2020 at 08:13 PM. Reason: txt
Old 08-20-2021, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
I swapped out the tires on my Surly trucker from 26 to 650b x 48mm (Compass Switchback Hills). I bet it can take RTP easily as well.
I'm considering the same for my Disc Trucker build (2016 frame, 26", 52cm). The images appear to show that you've got good clearance to the fenders. Did you run into any issues at all? What size is your frame?
Old 08-20-2021, 08:40 PM

Old 09-05-2021, 09:34 PM

Thinking of putting some RTP's on an old Stumpjumper I'm turning into a basket bike commuter with fenders. Wheels are XT laced to Mavic 719 rims.

Anyone have any experience mounting these on a narrow (by today's standards) 19mm internal width rim? I'm seeing the specs on these as running between 52-54mm. Wondering if anyone has an exact measurement as my fender clearance is going to be a little tight I think.

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2021, 10:47 PM
Tired Member

I have two reactions: 19mm is awfully thin for a 58mm tire. See the chart halfway down this page: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

You can always split the fenders at the crown and bridge, if you need to: https://www.rivercitybicycles.com/pr...ckets-4486.htm

Last edited by tctyres; 09-05-2021 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:32 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldngrumpy View Post
I'm considering the same for my Disc Trucker build (2016 frame, 26", 52cm). The images appear to show that you've got good clearance to the fenders. Did you run into any issues at all? What size is your frame?
It's a 56. No issue whatsoever. Plenty of clearance with the fenders. They don't call em "fff" for nutin'.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:21 AM

Thanks for the links!

Yeah you might be right, but it seems like most people find these have an actual width of around 54mm. Just trying to get some real life experience from someone who might've mounted on a much thinner rim and had good results.

I have a set of Maxxis DTH 2.1's mounted on these rims right now and they measure up to 50mm. They ride ok, but are most comfortable as a lower psi and that seems to sacrifice flat prevention - been patching a lot of tubes lately and I'm looking for some other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
I have two reactions: 19mm is awfully thin for a 58mm tire. See the chart halfway down this page: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

You can always split the fenders at the crown and bridge, if you need to: https://www.rivercitybicycles.com/pr...ckets-4486.htm