Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2020, 12:29 PM

RED Etap rear derailleur q's

So I have the standard length rear derailleur and the max capacity is 28T cassette (manufacturer rec) I've seen in various places via google people are running much larger cassettes with some B Screw fidgeting. I would love to run a 30-32t on this bike but not sure if I wanna shell out 400$ for the mid cage derailleur. So that begs the question also could the mid cage run even bigger than recommended 32 from sram?

Also what about short cage + Wolf tooth road link.

I've never messed with this stuff before and I don't wanna rip my derailleur hanger off first ride. But I've turned into much more of a spinner than a masher so 28t is not gonna cut it for my large self.

Anyone do any magic with Etap ? Not talking AXS here.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2020, 12:33 PM

Or is it possible to run the Wifli Long cage on my short cage derailleur. I see people upgrading these to ceramic speed there might be some Long cages running around. Complete etap newb.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:41 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Best move would be to sell yours and get a WiFli.

Next best would be to add some details about the frame you have and then the braintrust can chime in based on RD hangar and roadlink vs. goatlink. This is due to the hanger drop being the main factor in the max cassette size and not the cage or top pulley wheel location in some instances.

Overall, have you thought about changing up the front chainring(s)?

What is the largest Cassette you see yourself running in the future?

Last edited by kppolich; 06-25-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:41 PM

Within the week, I may have an answer for you. I'm attempting to replace the wifli cage with a longer one, add a wolf tooth, and run a 1x, 11-42 cassette. Bike is in the shop and their working on this experiment now. They tried this on the regular etap rear and it did not work. We're giving wifli a shot now, as they say the derailleur bodies are shaped slightly different.

My experience with both regular eTap rear and wifli is that they can go up a couple cogs from the published max.

Longer cage

Last edited by mistermo; 06-25-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Best move would be to sell yours and get a WiFli.

Next best would be to add some details about the frame you have and then the braintrust can chime in based on RD hangar and roadlink vs. goatlink. This is due to the hanger drop being the main factor in the max cassette size and not the cage or top pulley wheel location in some instances.

Overall, have you thought about changing up the front chainring(s)?

What is the largest Cassette you see yourself running in the future?

I have a compact on there now. 50/34. I'd love to run 1/1 or get close to it. My gravel bike is 1x 38t upfront and 11-42 in the back. I've been loving the range. And have kinda altered my riding style to fit that. Running a 32 would be great with the compact double upfront.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsteinker View Post
I have a compact on there now. 50/34. I'd love to run 1/1 or get close to it. My gravel bike is 1x 38t upfront and 11-42 in the back. I've been loving the range. And have kinda altered my riding style to fit that. Running a 32 would be great with the compact double upfront.

Also the Frame is a Ritchey Logic Disc. Has a built in steel hanger. Non replaceable.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:56 PM

While the long cage can be installed on a short cage RD, the geometry of the upper linkage is different between the two.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:13 PM
tailgunning

would not recommend, i ran a 30T large on the regular cage and while it... *worked* it didn't seem happy to work.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:17 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

I would still recommend buying a WiFli and then selling your regular cage.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:27 PM

mid cage

i run 11-34 rear, 48/32 front with etap red wifli rear d. perfection. no screwing with b screw, no Wolftooth. big steel bike with 42 chainstays.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:46 PM

The Ceramic Speed cage will allow a 30 pretty easily. A 32-34 might be fine with B adjustment.

Last edited by bikinchris; 06-25-2020 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:17 PM

It will depend on your RD hanger geometry. Buy a cheap 11-32 cassette and give it a try; you can play with the B-screw and will know in the work-stand whether it is going to work or not.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Within the week, I may have an answer for you. I'm attempting to replace the wifli cage with a longer one, add a wolf tooth, and run a 1x, 11-42 cassette. Bike is in the shop and their working on this experiment now. They tried this on the regular etap rear and it did not work. We're giving wifli a shot now, as they say the derailleur bodies are shaped slightly different.

My experience with both regular eTap rear and wifli is that they can go up a couple cogs from the published max.

Longer cage
OK, I too have an Etap 11 short cage RD and am looking to run a 32t cog in the rear. If I'm reading your post correct, you said your LBS tried putting one of these J-L Ceramic carbon oversize cage and pulleys on an Etap 11 short cage RD and it didn't work? Did they say why?

If this doesn't work, I'm probably going to do the Wolftooth RD hanger thing for $20.

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2020, 02:25 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
i run 11-34 rear, 48/32 front with etap red wifli rear d. perfection. no screwing with b screw, no Wolftooth. big steel bike with 42 chainstays.
same here. I bet it can even fit a 36 back there.

With short I bet a 32T fits just fine.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:33 PM

I've run an 11-30 cassette with the standard length eTap rear derailleur extensively on a couple different bikes, no issues at all. But as others have said, it may depend on the geometry of that hanger. I've never tried to adjust it to fit a 32t cog, but it certainly seemed to have more room on the B-screw.