Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2020, 10:08 AM

Also I don't trust Subaru EPA ratings at all.

My Outback is rated 24/30 with the 4-cyl + CVT. Mine is a 2nd gen CVT, they are on 3rd or 4th gen. If you drive it on flat highway with the roof rack stowed and lock it in at 65mph it will get 30mpg, or did when it was new. But any hills, city driving, etc.. and it gets more like 22mpg in the summer and 19mpg in the winter. I *never* gets 24mpg in anything resembling city driving. Around here highway traffic moves 75-80mph, at those speeds my Outback is lucky to get 25mpg.

Overall I like the CVT more than a normal auto, I hate normal autos with a passion. The only thing the CVT does is annoying to me is it takes a little too long to shift from reverse to drive and back. Every once in a while it's annoying when making a 3 point turn. But the Outback has a very tight turning radius for it's size with the way it's suspension & steering is designed, so it's not a huge deal. Also they have improved this in the newer versions of the transmission.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:09 AM
Older Than You

Consumers Reports likes the 2020 Outback. Both engines. One recall concerning a loose bolt in the brake system.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDollarsign View Post
If only they would make a passat alltrack or something of that nature. VW checks the boxes all but size. It is just too small - smaller than my A4...
I don’t know what your needs are, but I’m over 6ft and my wife is 5’8” and we both don’t have issues in our VWs even though we have a rear-facing child seat in back. My GTI has a surprisingly capable trunk but my wife’s wagon has tons of room.

Both of our cars are the prior mk6 generation but I think the mk7 has more interior space. We have not had issues, but the biggest “trouble spot” on my wife’s car? The Toyota 6spd auto.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
Consumers Reports likes the 2020 Outback. Both engines. One recall concerning a loose bolt in the brake system.
I have lost faith with Consumer Reports. They push the newest as best and always give subaru high marks.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:15 AM
Administrator

i just can't get over the size they have balooned to. they used to be real wagons, but they are not any longer.

i have rented the newer ones when in snow country, and i just dont like how they drive and feel, especially the CVT, but that might just take some getting used to.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:16 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Biggest weakness with my Subaru is the damn seats. I have a "Limited" with the power leather seats and they are far and away they least comfortable seats of any car I've ever owned by a WIDE margin.
Car seats must be like saddles. We owned a 13 Premium 2.5 for 5 years and 75k miles. (Zero issues, by the way.) Seats were one of the best. I drove from Utah to Baja MX and back. Return trip was 12 hours and I felt like I could go another 12.

2.5 was a bit underpowered but it’d return 33-34mpg on the freeway all day long. Not bad for such a big suv. Great rear seat as well. Very spacious.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:18 AM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I’d look elsewhere than Subaru is what I’d do.

I think they are ugly, noisy inside, have cheap finishes for the price, and now seem to have a reputation as not being as reliable as previous iterations. That’s just my take.
We had two Subarus and a number of my friends have, or have had them. Pretty much all of us have now sworn them off. And with the exception of the WRX/STI they are so boring to drive they'll put you to sleep. (Which in fact happened to a friend of mine after an all-night nursing shift which resulted in a serious accident but she credits the totaled car with saving her life so she bought another.)
Old 06-16-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i just can't get over the size they have balooned to. they used to be real wagons, but they are not any longer.

i have rented the newer ones when in snow country, and i just dont like how they drive and feel, especially the CVT, but that might just take some getting used to.
So here is the real problem - I would be okay with an SUV but they are either tiny or huge, very little in between. I want a rear seat with lots of leg room and no third row. There are only a couple SUVs that fit those requirements such as the jeep grand cherokee or the toyota pathfinder. Both those examples are unrefined and get poor gas mileage.

So... That leads to a larger wagon where there still aren't many options. I think the A6 Allroad would be perfect but I am not spending more than 40k...
Old 06-16-2020, 10:20 AM
Older Than You

Quote:
I have lost faith with Consumer Reports. They push the newest as best and always give subaru high marks.
They gave the 2018 Outback a fairly poor rating.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Car seats must be like saddles. We owned a 13 Premium 2.5 for 5 years and 75k miles. (Zero issues, by the way.) Seats were one of the best. I drove from Utah to Baja MX and back. Return trip was 12 hours and I felt like I could go another 12.

2.5 was a bit underpowered but it’d return 33-34mpg on the freeway all day long. Not bad for such a big suv. Great rear seat as well. Very spacious.
You had the cloth seats right? Premiums come with cloth IIRC unless they were special ordered which made no financial sense cause they upcharged way too much for it compared to getting a limited.

This has something to do with Leather vs Cloth if you read the Subaru Forums..the cloth seats are more comfortable despite having fewer adjustments simply because they happen to be a better designed seat.

It sounds like you're in a much less densely populated area of the country which would explain seeing better fuel economy.. I live in the worst metro area in the country for traffic, that's a big part of my MPG woes.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:25 AM

Interesting about subies. I have had 5 and have a 2019 forester. I have enjoyed them all.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
So here is the real problem - I would be okay with an SUV but they are either tiny or huge, very little in between. I want a rear seat with lots of leg room and no third row. There are only a couple SUVs that fit those requirements such as the jeep grand cherokee or the toyota pathfinder. Both those examples are unrefined and get poor gas mileage.

So... That leads to a larger wagon where there still aren't many options. I think the A6 Allroad would be perfect but I am not spending more than 40k...
honda passport is re-introduced, might be worth a look. 280hp v6 and pretty capable looking with honda reliability...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg passport.jpg (63.8 KB, 220 views)
Old 06-16-2020, 10:29 AM

I have a 2002 that will be for sale soon... oh wait, same numbers different order. Its ok, preferred the 98. My parents have a newer model, and its reliable, but I hate the infotainment system and they had some issues getting the bugs worked out of it.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Toyota has 0% 60 month financing on the Hybrid versions....seriously considering as replacement for our 12 year old Prius.
I wouldn’t buy one but I am driving a 2015 Prius V wagon which is a company car. I wouldn’t buy it because it is just too boring of a ride for me

Having said that, it is at 160k and aside from some dents etc it is still tight. The front end feels new and the interior materials are wearing well.

I would certainly consider a toyota.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:40 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
You had the cloth seats right? Premiums come with cloth IIRC unless they were special ordered which made no financial sense cause they upcharged way too much for it compared to getting a limited.

This has something to do with Leather vs Cloth if you read the Subaru Forums..the cloth seats are more comfortable despite having fewer adjustments simply because they happen to be a better designed seat.

It sounds like you're in a much less densely populated area of the country which would explain seeing better fuel economy.. I live in the worst metro area in the country for traffic, that's a big part of my MPG woes.
Yes, cloth seats. I wasn’t expecting them to be any good but it was one of the best I’ve ever had.

Salt Lake City area. Traffic can get bad but not like some bigger metro cities. City MPG was low still. But lots of variables there. Wouldn’t expect any car to be at or over EPA est in those conditions.