Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2020, 08:55 AM
Randomhead

You'd think that Musk would get them to change the law that keeps Tesla from selling cars in Texas first?
Old 05-16-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
It would be nice if platforms for intoxicated rants (Twitter) didn't exist. That way we wouldn't be aware of the musings of folks like Elon Musk or the other notorious Twitterer.

But I hope Tesla continues their growth and success and as much as the eccentricities of Elon make me as a shareholder a bit nervous, I'd rather have him at the helm of Tesla than some other traditional know-nothing US auto executive.

The rest of the US auto industry is stuck in the 1980s, focusing on behemoth trucks instead of trying to move forward to the next era of energy and technology. Tesla is an energy and tech company that happens to make automobiles.

The thought of going to a Ford or GM showroom makes me sad. Tesla is a breath of fresh air, in more ways than one, though obviously imperfect at times. I like their future and I kind of expect my next vehicle to be a Tesla.

No more gas station visits, only occasional charge stops on long road trips.
Charge at home - Full every morning.
Quiet driving experience.
Very little recurrent maintenance.

Those are just a few of the positives I envision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
More power to 'em.

Puts his money where his mouth is, creates jobs stateside, not just at plants but the income multiplier in states/communities.

Imagine Ford or GM CEOs doing similar?
Yeah, I don't get the hate. Tesla has influenced the automotive industry in so many ways in its less than 20 years of existence. I'm a fan of the company, but would really prefer that they built the manufacturing plant in Tulsa. Tulsa has a stronger manufacturing base than Austin AND I'm sure that the Tulsa economy could probably use the boost compared to our area.

Texbike
Old 05-16-2020, 09:50 AM

As a resident of Northern Nevada, fsck Elon Musk. I wish he never came to town.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:38 AM

I like Tesla’s cars but personally don’t like Elon Musk. That said the memes about his kids name are pretty hilarious. Oh and remember the time he said his stock was worth too much? At least he’s entertaining.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:10 PM

musk

is clearly bipolar— for better or worse
Many titans of industry and of course brilliant authors and poets
are/ were manic- depressives
—the cyclothymic shrink

dr mojo
Old 05-16-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris View Post
After this power/ego scenario he pulled in Freemont, even I was wealthy, I would never buy a Tesla. F him. Reminds me too much of the other guy.
It's business.....production needed to start back up if safety measures are implemented.

Business wise California has gone all weird so it would be smart for some businesses to start formulating exit plans.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris View Post
After this power/ego scenario he pulled in Freemont, even I was wealthy, I would never buy a Tesla. F him. Reminds me too much of the other guy.

Bravo to Elon Musk. Tesla should never have been shutdown to begin with as auto manufacturers are considered essential businesses under federal guidelines. He should have sued Alameda County for business losses instead of just for legal fees.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:04 PM

hard to believe he would build a factory in a state that wont allow him to sell his cars.you cant buy a Tesla legally in Texas
Old 05-16-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Bravo to Elon Musk. Tesla should never have been shutdown to begin with as auto manufacturers are considered essential businesses under federal guidelines. He should have sued Alameda County for business losses instead of just for legal fees.
$70-100k electric ego boosts for tech Bros ain't exactly essential.

I can't wait to hear about inevitable outbreaks in the plant given their atrocious record for safety even before all this started.

Tesla is the worst.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:55 PM

"Blah blah blah, I'm so upset that the world is changing." Stop complaining and enjoy your phone and other tech that was built in a plant that did the same thing to the town it was built in. These are the times we live in, deal with it.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:09 PM
Randomhead

there was an outbreak of covid at that factory, not sure he would be able to start back up if it weren't for the lock down.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:23 PM

Austin American Statesman ran an article yesterday afternoon that said an undisclosed source claimed the Tesla plant would be built near Austin. I'm thinking the town of Hutto that was recently in the running for another Tesla Plant (batteries) that went to Nevada.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I wouldn't be buying up real estate just yet..Elon musk people..on twitter..the same guy that gives doobie infused videos...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/12/cars/...eet/index.html

Sounds like elon is having a little melt down...Until they buy land and break ground somewhere else, I wouldn't take this to the bank.

yes, at least for SpaceX he has Gwynne Shotwell who is the calm and steely presence who tempers his worst impulses...he needs someone like her at Tesla.

And at least per Alameda officials, his review for opening up the factory was 2 days away when he had his Twitter tirade. He gets like this every once in a while when he gets stressed out (am betting they will rename his kid after a year or two...)
Old 05-17-2020, 04:35 AM

Tesla has been shopping the new factory for the truck since the end of last year . I think now he is just trying to use this 'little controversy' with California to get some conservative politicians to sign off on larger tax incentives. The gigafactory in Nevada has $1.3b in tax breaks,

He did something along these lines in Buffalo NY to build a Solar panel factor with state subsidies. I think the state took a 958mm writedown to employ 1460 people.

It'd been cheaper to just give the 1,460 people $500,000 each.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:18 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
It would be nice if platforms for intoxicated rants (Twitter) didn't exist. That way we wouldn't be aware of the musings of folks like Elon Musk or the other notorious Twitterer.
Yup..I hear, on other forums, again and again..don't look at what "they" 'say' but what they do..At least for Musk(no comment on the other), he has 'done' quite a lot...Both with Tesla, battery and energy tech, SpaceX..BUT..yup, I wish he would Shut The Front Door...twitter is painful to watch.
BUT, words, even twitter rants and rages, matter..