Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2020, 06:11 PM

Insole recommendations

I like my Shimano Sh-XC700 SL just fine except that lately the insoles are starting to feel a bit too thin leading to hot spots on rides longer than 3hrs.
They remind me of the Sidis I used to have, those come with a piece of cardboard.

Thinking of swapping the insoles, the only ones I know of are the Superfeet, but there are so many different models, how to choose?
What are some other alternatives that don't cost $$$?
TIA.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:28 PM
Descent fitness

I’m partial to the Specialized Body Geometry insoles, but you really just have to go to a shoe or sports store that has a good running section and try a number of them For yourself. Make sure and bring your shoes. You may need to go through two or three different types on the bike before you find your sweet spot. Bontrager has a set that includes thick and thin soles as well as interchangeable arches and metatarsal buttons so you can dial them in to your feet. This may be a good place to start.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SLO View Post
I’m partial to the Specialized Body Geometry insoles, but you really just have to go to a shoe or sports store that has a good running section and try a number of them For yourself. Make sure and bring your shoes. You may need to go through two or three different types on the bike before you find your sweet spot. Bontrager has a set that includes thick and thin soles as well as interchangeable arches and metatarsal buttons so you can dial them in to your feet. This may be a good place to start.
Same with the specialized.....better yet go into spesh bike store and they will fit you for them. Metatarsal button was always comfy for my feet and they had multiple combos of arch heights. Also had good luck with a memory foam dr scholl’s set straight from a drug store once with a pair of sidis.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:50 PM

I have had the best luck with Giro, although they are hard to find. When you buy one set, they come with three of the interchangeable arches, instead of buying three sets of insoles.

I have invariably found that changing arches works better than "tilted cleats" or show shims, and that I always end with two different arches and feel like I am in heaven.

I also stiffen my race shoes with carbon fiber insoles, 0.05 mm thick from ebay that I cut with scissors. (2 pieces 200 x 100mm) This also worked perfect on my wifes Shimano shoes.

I have never found any metatarsal button to do any more than remind me of the story of "The Princess and The Pea", except with a rock instead of a pea.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:54 PM

I got the superfeet ones for my Sidi shoes - I think they were branded for hockey skates and bike shoes. At any rate I'm not sure if they're worth whatever it is ($50) I paid for them. After all we're just making circles with our feet - not like running and jumping or walking long distances.

There was also a noticeable difference at first in how hot my feet got during summertime riding. I either got used to it or the effect wore off though.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:00 PM

Birko Sport.

https://www.birkenstock.com/us/birko...0-00-u_color=7
Old 05-10-2020, 07:09 PM
Descent fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
Those are really nice. I wear them in my tennis shoes and hiking boots. FWIW, you can usually find them for closer to $50 landed on the bay.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:11 PM

I ended up with Specialized +++ in my Sidi's, Abeo in my walking shoes, and green Superfeet in my running shoes. High arches.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:18 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

I used Specialized in my Sidis and am using the Giris in my new Giris but I have heard really good things about Solestar

Solestar.de

More expensive but cycling specific.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:25 PM

Another vote here for Specialized Body Geometry insoles. Pick the insoles to match your arch; they're color coded.

The Superfeet insoles, which I have, don't impress me.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:32 PM

Another vote for the Body Geometry. They feel and work so well. I too---was not impressed with the superfeet for cycling shoes.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:34 PM

The metatarsal bump is great for my feet. I’ve used Specialized which are good. Garneau which are better but no longer available I believe. Now using Icebug Slim which are nice also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2020, 08:36 PM
'97 Ti Legend

I like the Sole heat moldable ones, they keep changing models, but the mid-think ones have worked well with riding shoes and the thick ones are good for my hiking boots.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:38 PM

I agree with Old School on the Giro. That said they break down a bit quicker than I'd like.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:42 PM
but not really

I used black superfeet in my not-stiff-enough sidi when touring because my arch was collapsing and I got pretty severe knee pain. With proper stiff shoes like Shimano sphyre and giro ec90, I can get by with the stock giro insoles. I also have custom Peterson cycling orthotics that are awesome but I believe he retired from the game. Never tried specialized.