Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2020, 10:57 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
The Topeak ones they have rebuild parts for the valve head but not all the pieces inside. I had 2 of the Joe Blow sport ones fail last year after quite a few years.. the rebuild kits did not include everything to get them working again, I would have needed to completely replace the head.
^^^this was the problem I had with the Topeaks that I killed: It seemed like whatever part was failing was upstream of the head and hose, but downstream of the plunger? so most of the time neither the rebuild kit nor a complete replacement head solved the issue.

Gonna start looking into this "maintenance" thing of which some folks speak...
Old 05-06-2020, 11:09 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
I was going to say something along these lines. Lezyne does sell spare parts including O-rings, chucks, and gauges. I haven't maintained my Lezyne pump in 10 years, but it does still pump, and I know I could swap out the O-rings if it started to fail. I don't know if other pump manufacturers make the spares available, though.
Some companies do make spare parts available. Silca(obviously), Lezyne, Topeak. Blackburn used to. SKS does but not a lot of companies in the US sell them.

But maintenance is the key to keeping any pump or any anything going. You ask anyone with an older Silca and they mention the gasket and chuck rubbers. Funny how everyone complains about a Lezyne, or SKS or whatever but is fine with maintaining a Silca?

I have 4 Lezyne pumps. 2 are constantly used. 1 road and 1 mountain. I maintain them. With the exception of the gauge lens cracking(I dropped a crank on it and cracked the face), they've all be exceptional pumps. I have tons of small parts for them so I can maintain them and it take like 10 minutes to do so like once every 6 months. And there are small parts IN THE PUMP! The piston o-ring, there are 3 in the pump. One on the carrier and 1 top out and 1 bottom out. They are all the same. So you don't even need to order anything.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
i have an old specialized pump that so far has been indestructible.
same.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:24 PM

RennCompressor works well and reliable. All Lezynes I had crapped out pretty quick. The expensive Silca I have in the US works great too.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
My 1984 silca would like to have a word.
I had a Silca pump that I bought in the late '70s and thought it was great at the time. There is a mythology around the Silca pump because it was one of the few good pumps in that era and had that great brass air chuck for Presta valves. Now that there are a wide variety of decent pumps that work well up to road bike pressures, I don't really miss the old Silca.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:39 PM

Tend to agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
I would say NOT the lezyne alloy drive or the Sks aerminus or whatever it is called.
I have both, the Leznye head is a bit difficult but its a solid pump. Similarly the SKS pumps well but the pump head is a POS

Ray
Old 05-06-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
^^^this was the problem I had with the Topeaks that I killed: It seemed like whatever part was failing was upstream of the head and hose, but downstream of the plunger? so most of the time neither the rebuild kit nor a complete replacement head solved the issue.

Gonna start looking into this "maintenance" thing of which some folks speak...
Yes.. exactly what happened with mine.

I had 2, one I kept in my car and used to pump up the bike for outdoor rides & for emergency use for the car.

The other one I kept in the house near the trainer area.

The first one I chased down "maintenance" and replaced everything Topeak had a part for. It still kept leaking.

When the 2nd one started doing it I had learned my lesson and didn't bother.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post

I have 4 Lezyne pumps. 2 are constantly used. 1 road and 1 mountain. I maintain them. With the exception of the gauge lens cracking(I dropped a crank on it and cracked the face), they've all be exceptional pumps. I have tons of small parts for them so I can maintain them and it take like 10 minutes to do so like once every 6 months. And there are small parts IN THE PUMP! The piston o-ring, there are 3 in the pump. One on the carrier and 1 top out and 1 bottom out. They are all the same. So you don't even need to order anything.
I have a Lezyne mini-pump but have never had one of their floor pumps, the idea that they include extra parts is so nice I'll have to think about buying one at some point.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:54 PM

My Bontrager supercharger has been solid. You can also purchase spares if anything does go wrong.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:45 PM

+1 for Joe Blow Sport.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
SKS Rennkompressor is the pump that used to be the basis for many other brands, including the ZĂ©fal Husky. It is extremely well build and you can install the chuck of your choice.

I have had several in several places over the years. They are super solid.

Have a 20 year old Husky that I cannot kill but if I do the Rennkompressor will be its replacement.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:49 PM

i used to swear by Joe Blow Pro

and I have never sweared at mine. On the other hand, I have used numerous other brands that easily push more air more better. I found a used Bontrager Charger at our local used sports equipment store. Way better than Joe Blow Pro.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
I had a Silca pump that I bought in the late '70s and thought it was great at the time. There is a mythology around the Silca pump because it was one of the few good pumps in that era and had that great brass air chuck for Presta valves. Now that there are a wide variety of decent pumps that work well up to road bike pressures, I don't really miss the old Silca.
It's small, not particularly ergonomic, prone to tipping over, and doesn't pump ALL THAT well. But it's cool, which is important, and is easily serviceable.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:16 PM

I've been happy with my Lezyne floor drive pump. 5+ years of use prior to every ride and not a problem at all. I replaced the head with another Lezyne head that I liked, but not because the original one failed.

With the spare o-rings included, you might not have to buy any repair/replacement parts for it.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:19 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickl View Post
Have a 20 year old Husky that I cannot kill but if I do the Rennkompressor will be its replacement.
I had a Husky for about 15 yrs...replaced head with Silca chuck...worked great other than needing to replace gasket every year.

Got "new" Lezyne about 10 yrs ago...works great....screw on head takes a little more time but that is it. No sign of failing...no real maintenance done either.