Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2020, 05:09 AM

Bulletproof floor pump - whats your experience?

My birzman floor pump has just died. I need a replacement that will last but don't want to stretch to a Silca Ultimate. However I do have a Hiro chuck and a tank for tubeless pressure so am not too worried about those functions specifically. I just need something with a good gauge and cylinder that won't break in a short space of time. The highest pressure I need is probably 60-70psi. What's a good option without spending megabucks?
Old 05-06-2020, 06:36 AM

I bought a cheap zefal at Walmart when I needed to replace the leather washer in my silca track pump about 10 years ago. It's worked perfectly, even seating tubeless road. I thought for sure it'd die by now. currently $18 here: https://www.xxcycle.com/zefal-floor-...froogle&wwp=44
Old 05-06-2020, 07:18 AM

Thirteen years ago, I asked the lead mechanic at my LBS for his floor pump recommendation. He said the least expensive Topeak pump (Joe Blow Sport) was the most reliable and what the staff used at the shop. It has been 100% reliable in my use ever since. The steel base and pump barrel are slightly heavier than other pump materials, but they are very durable. I liked the Topeak TwinHead so much that I retrofitted it to another pump I have.

Greg
Old 05-06-2020, 07:24 AM
Older Than You

I have an old Specialized pump that so far has been indestructible.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:25 AM

I have the Arundel floor pump with the Gretel head. Solid as a rock.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:30 AM

I would say NOT the lezyne alloy drive or the Sks aerminus or whatever it is called.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:34 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Thirteen years ago, I asked the lead mechanic at my LBS for his floor pump recommendation. He said the least expensive Topeak pump (Joe Blow Sport) was the most reliable and what the staff used at the shop. It has been 100% reliable in my use ever since. The steel base and pump barrel are slightly heavier than other pump materials, but they are very durable. I liked the Topeak TwinHead so much that I retrofitted it to another pump I have.

Greg
I bought a Joe Blow Max 12 years ago, secondhand for $10. Still works great.

I also bought a new Spec sport pump 3 years ago. It does pump much easier than the Topeak especially in the upper psi range.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:34 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Thirteen years ago, I asked the lead mechanic at my LBS for his floor pump recommendation. He said the least expensive Topeak pump (Joe Blow Sport) was the most reliable and what the staff used at the shop. It has been 100% reliable in my use ever since.
That's funny: I'm on my fourth Topeak floor pump in 14 years! The only reason I keep buying them is because their customer service is so good...but the reliability/durability has been pretty suspect in my experience.

otoh, maybe I just abuse floor pumps? 'cuz I've also killed a Park PFP-8 and a Lezyne something-or-other in that same time period.

The most recent Topeak I got, a Joe Blow Pro DX, looks like it oughtta last a lifetime. But I've only owned it for ~10 months so the jury's still out.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
Yep, mine's going on 15 years now with no problem. And I pump up my tires each day before I ride so it sees a lot of use.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:42 AM

I have been cycling for over 60 years and have had many different pumps. so imho the absolute best, if it even still made, is a Specialized Air Tool Pro. I have used that pump[ for the last six years w/o problems. it is not cheap but again imho worth every penny.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ai...-pump/p/155477

Last edited by alancw3; 05-06-2020 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
I have one too. an Air Tool Comp. It works great but every year and a half, i need to replace the head because it leaks air once you get up to pressure. Yes ive tried just replacing the head internals. Need to replace the entire head Theyre about $10 or so and Specialized wont warranty it
Old 05-06-2020, 07:46 AM

SKS Rennkompressor is the pump that used to be the basis for many other brands, including the ZĂ©fal Husky. It is extremely well build and you can install the chuck of your choice.

I have had several in several places over the years. They are super solid.

Old 05-06-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
That's funny: I'm on my fourth Topeak floor pump in 14 years! The only reason I keep buying them is because their customer service is so good...but the reliability/durability has been pretty suspect in my experience.

otoh, maybe I just abuse floor pumps? 'cuz I've also killed a Park PFP-8 and a Lezyne something-or-other in that same time period.

The most recent Topeak I got, a Joe Blow Pro DX, looks like it oughtta last a lifetime. But I've only owned it for ~10 months so the jury's still out.
It always amazes me how people have vastly different experiences with consumer products. My pump Waterloo was with Blackburn. I went through four of them in eight years. I purchased the first one and the remaining three were warranty replacements. Their customer service was great, but I go tired of the biennial replacement cycle. When I received the final warranty replacement pump, I sold it "as new, with tags, no warranty" and bought the Topeak Joe Blow. I hope your latest Topeak pump is reliable and durable for you!

Greg
Old 05-06-2020, 07:50 AM
Proud Grandpa

I sold a TON of Blackburn..had very, very few come back. Hard to beat lifetime, no questions asked, warranty either.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:

Greg
I too have used a Joe Blow Sport for about 10 years without any problems. Topeak apparently stands behind their product if you need any parts, etc.