Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawas View Post
It would be hard for me to do a custom fitting with most of these guys as none of them are local to me. I'm in SoCal.
I agree that Bingham seems to do a really nice frame. His frames don't have the "flash" that some other do and I just have to see how important that is to me.
I would also recommend Holland Cycles since you are in SoCal. While I don't think Holland does anodization in house, you can probably get that handled through someplace like Black Magic Paint.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
I currently have a Seven, Moots and Eriksen. I’ve also owned Lynskey, Kish, Spectrum. They all work well.

Kish is probably the best value and Jim is easy to work with. Top notch quality as probably taught a number of current to builders since he taught at UBI. You can also get your bike painted. Check his gallery.

Brad Bingham was the main builder for Eriksen and took over since Kent retired. I think his welding is often considered almost unparalleled since his raw finish matches any one who has their welds bead blasted. He consistently wins best TIG weld at NAHBS. He does the work for Hampton Cycles too.

Seven has tons of sizes as stock, so custom is almost built in. I’ve owned an Axiom and now own an Evergreen graveler.

Moots uncharges for anything custom. Nice bikes but I think they’re overpriced. I’ve owned 3 Moots.

I think the best values are Bingham and Kish for custom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excellent summary. I have owned IF (probably the last IF titanium bike made in Boston before the FF/IF split), a Mosaic and a Bingham Built. I have test ridden Moots several times trying to convince myself to buy one. I know nothing about Kish. I have another Bingham Built on order. I like trying new thing and with all these high end titanium builders I cannot go wrong trying something new. My plan was to buy a Seven. However, Bingham Built really did a great job on my MTB that I felt like I was fine getting another one. Best welds in the business and that is just a sign of everything else that Bingham Built bikes is.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:16 PM

This thread makes me think that with regard to titanium bikes, anyone who is really good at it turns out great bikes.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawas View Post
It would be hard for me to do a custom fitting with most of these guys as none of them are local to me. I'm in SoCal.
I agree that Bingham seems to do a really nice frame. His frames don't have the "flash" that some other do and I just have to see how important that is to me.
Sometimes the “flash” is a function of the photography.
Anyway, it’s the fit that matters. Have you found a good fitter in SoCal? Some builders can do a “fit” with the use of a form (height, inseam, etc,j but better to have the fit done locally.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:27 PM

Since you're in SoCal, have you checked out Stinner? They make a titanium bike https://www.stinnerframeworks.com/

If you can get to Portland, you will find a few titanium builders up there as well.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:28 PM

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 04-20-2021 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
This thread makes me think that with regard to titanium bikes, anyone who is really good at it turns out great bikes.

I think part of that is the material. Titanium tubes are expensive and they are not easy to weld - you need experience welding (eg. Working with argon). If you screw up, those tubes cost a lot.

I think the business of custom has progressed much due to the options in tubing - diameter, wall thickness, etc which can all be tapered and manipulated to achieve the right build and ride quality that the customer desires. That’s the hard part of the business - interpreting customer’s wishes, assuming the customer is describing them correctly!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
I think part of that is the material. Titanium tubes are expensive and they are not easy to weld - you need experience welding (eg. Working with argon). If you screw up, those tubes cost a lot.

I think the business of custom has progressed much due to the options in tubing - diameter, wall thickness, etc which can all be tapered and manipulated to achieve the right build and ride quality that the customer desires. That’s the hard part of the business - interpreting customer’s wishes, assuming the customer is describing them correctly!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think a good Ti bike is just inherently beautiful. Maybe also the beauty of the finished work is a reflection of the effort that went into it. It's really easy to go down a huge rabbit hole when trying to choose a custom builder because essentially everyone who's doing it is pretty awesome and it can come down to all the other things. FWIW, my current favorite bike is a non-custom Ti.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:00 PM
il Curmudgeoni

While there are tons of builders who make very nice bikes, these stand at the top of my list for Ti.

Bixxis
333Fab
Potts
Hampsten
Old 04-29-2020, 06:07 PM

I’ve had a No22 and currently have a Moots. I think the additional money for the Moots (mine is custom) is well worth it. They were much easier to deal with and personally I prefer the look and ride to the No22. I wouldn’t get another No22 but the chap I sold mine to is very happy with it. I think it’s hard to say here - in part you’re buying into the story/concept as much as the ride because you won’t have a chance to ride the bikes

The Moots is expensive but I would not consider it poor value. The company has been great and the bike is fantastic. They even did a free crash inspection when I kissed a RAV4.

Legend is a company I’m intrigued by, but I prefer more local builders. If I lived in Europe I’d have a look at them.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:37 PM

How is it that Caletti has not come up yet! Super nice guy, incredible under-the radar builds and very thoughful process. Part of a bunch of environmental and trail organizations... my wife loves her Caletti CX bike.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:53 PM

OP: Brushed or Beaded?
Old 04-29-2020, 06:57 PM

I will note.. nobody talks about Dean or Merlin any more.. same ownership now, but some interesting stuff.. eg. the Dean Vader ExoGrid, etc..
Old 04-29-2020, 07:22 PM
v a n i l l a

When NAHBS was in Sacramento the time before the last time, there must have been 20+ titanium builders showing road/gravel. It was dizzying. Did it really come down to whose disc mount you liked best?

I'd start more basic
- is my fit uncommon?
- am i looking for custom detailing in the fabrication (mounts, holes, etc.)?
- am I looking for a particular finish aesthetic?
So these may rule out some builders (particularly Moots, which is GREAT for stock but once non-stock it's either really expensive or they won't do it. I say this having owned and loved riding a Moots CR)

No doubt FF makes a great frame and it is easy to be seduced by the glam shots but they are not the only ones making beautiful ti. That said, if you want FF get FF. Tyler and Jamie and Kevin know what they are doing.

When I spoke to Brad Bingham at NAHBS what struck me was how enthused he was about not only building straightforward road or mtb frames but also the weird or insane frame - like a fishing bike.

That's how Sacha was in the early days of Vanilla.

Speaking of TVW: FULL CUSTOM Titanium Starting at $6900.00
New for 2020 we are offering custom Titanium completes in our disc models. Rugged Road, Disc Road, or Cyclocross. After nearly 20 years of steel bikes we bring our building techniques and design to a new material. What happens when you mix the ride quality a Speedvagen is known for with the ride quality of Ti? Theres only one way to find out.
Includes:
Custom geometry designed from the ground up to match your fit coordinates
Speedvagen’s own new Titanium Tubing
Paint with peek-a-boos to raw titanium
Custom machined head tube with brushed stainless headbadge
Integrated Enve Carbon fiber seatmast with brushed stainless reinforcement
ENVE carbon seatpost head
Enve Fork.
T47 BB shell
Flat Mount Thru Axle

Last edited by pdmtong; 04-29-2020 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:30 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyhistoric View Post
How is it that Caletti has not come up yet! Super nice guy, incredible under-the radar builds and very thoughful process. Part of a bunch of environmental and trail organizations... my wife loves her Caletti CX bike.
A friend has a full custom caletti and had an excellent experience through the design and fab and delivery process