Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2020, 04:08 PM

Just posted this a couple weeks ago. Some great builders in here.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=249926
Old 04-29-2020, 04:10 PM

Bingham is going to offer a tapered head tube.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:14 PM

Bingham bikes are definitely in that top shelf category of custom ti, alongside Firefly etc.

Having had a couple Firefly(s) and a Bingham, I'd say that the design, fabrication, detail and customer service are equally excellent. Pricing is roughly similar for a normal ti frame/fork. They both ride amazing.
Bingham has a smaller menu of finishing options and fewer custom options but also has a much shorter turn around (8 weeks v 1 year).

Can't really go wrong with either of those...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawas View Post
I've taken a look at Bingham. I never asked for a quote at this point.

Instagram
Old 04-29-2020, 04:27 PM

http://www.hampsten.com
Old 04-29-2020, 04:27 PM

Seven

I chose Seven because I could visit Ride Studio Cafe and get an in-person fitting and lots of guidance throughout the custom process. They also set up a demo bike with my new position changes and I was able to take a nice long ride. This greatly helped my confidence in pulling the trigger and signing off on the design. I couldn't be more thrilled with the result--the bike has been a revelation for me.

David
Old 04-29-2020, 04:28 PM

I bought a Firefly here on the PL used and it's the nicest bike I've ever had. I wouldn't think that warranty would matter much in buying a bike from one of the builders listed here, and my reasoning is that they hardly ever break, and most of these folks would fix it, period, warranty or not, if the company is still around.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:29 PM

Check out T-Lab if you want a road/gravel disc bike. You can also take advantage of the weak Canadian dollar. Very competitive product at a great price.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:31 PM

So many worthy builders. I would suggest one close enough to visit, nothing like an in person meet and discuss to start things on the right path. Also any shipping charges and associated shipping concerns, be it parts for the build or finished goods to you, will be significantly reduced.

Last edited by donevwil; 04-29-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:36 PM

Went through this process recently, ultimately went with a No22 Drifter X (without the integrated seatpost); couldn't pass up their recent sale.
I also considered Mosaic (which had the shortest wait time - about 3-4 weeks as of earlier this month), Moots, Firefly, etc.

Can't go wrong with any of the options listed here, though ultimately it will depend on which builder calls out to you the most.

Last edited by ciclista_tifoso; 04-29-2020 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:44 PM

Wow Steve (?), that's a beautiful Firefly! They really are doing some special stuff over there.

I would echo all the above and say that if it were me, it would come down to who I could visit and build a relationship with. My first real bike was a Seven that was built for me. I've also had a Mosaic, and two Moots. Fit and relationship are the most important. Any of these guys will build you a sweet bike.

Another thought is to try out a couple of different bikes - maybe even buy a few used bikes on here and ride them and see what you think. Really, tires and wheels and fit are going to make more of a difference than almost anything.

For fit - it's amazing how it changes over time. My Seven was built for me - custom fitted and all that - about 20 years ago. When I ride it now, it's way too upright - almost no drop. It's just where I was at that point in my life.

I just picked up a Speedvagen that wasn't made for me but might have well been. It's changed what I think about steel. I cannot believe how much it wants to go fast - it's a race bike for sure, but still fine for 3-4 hours of riding. If I were going custom now, I would use this current bike as inspiration.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!
Old 04-29-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Personally I think it is the prettiest seat stay arrangement that I have ever seen: https://www.flickr.com/photos/firefl...7636160361504/
That is one gorgeous bike
And I always thought my Colnago C60 in the 2015 dark blue color way was the prettiest bike ever. S
Actually still is, but this FF is a damn close second.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:45 PM

I currently have a Seven, Moots and Eriksen. I’ve also owned Lynskey, Kish, Spectrum. They all work well.

Kish is probably the best value and Jim is easy to work with. Top notch quality as probably taught a number of current to builders since he taught at UBI. You can also get your bike painted. Check his gallery.

Brad Bingham was the main builder for Eriksen and took over since Kent retired. I think his welding is often considered almost unparalleled since his raw finish matches any one who has their welds bead blasted. He consistently wins best TIG weld at NAHBS. He does the work for Hampton Cycles too.

Seven has tons of sizes as stock, so custom is almost built in. I’ve owned an Axiom and now own an Evergreen graveler.

Moots uncharges for anything custom. Nice bikes but I think they’re overpriced. I’ve owned 3 Moots.

I think the best values are Bingham and Kish for custom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2020, 04:53 PM
Registered (ab)User

My wife got a titanium bike from Carl Strong about 2 years ago, I think the lead time was around 12-16 weeks at the time. I personally have no justifiable use for yet another bike, but when we pulled this thing out of the shipping carton and started looking at the details up close I was like

Her bike is gorgeous!

And Carl is wonderful to deal with (we also have a matching pair of coupled steel road bikes he built for us 10 years ago), a real mensch and a savvy straightforward businessman. Highly recommended.

I know, I sound like a shill...
Old 04-29-2020, 04:55 PM

Knew I shouldn’t have opened this thread — Realizing that my FF is 8 years old has me rationalizing that I need a new bike.

I’ve now “followed” a lot of the builders mentioned here in Instagram.

Only a matter of time now

Old 04-29-2020, 04:57 PM

It would be hard for me to do a custom fitting with most of these guys as none of them are local to me. I'm in SoCal.
I agree that Bingham seems to do a really nice frame. His frames don't have the "flash" that some other do and I just have to see how important that is to me.