Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2020, 08:16 PM

Eliel

Got a bunch from Eliel - they were doing the +1 option too. Good local (SD) company. My in-laws who live out there (non cyclists) are ordering some too. Also am using their gaiters when I am out riding. 2 thumbs up, but strictly consumer/casual grade (i.e. at the store, on the bike etc.)
Old 04-23-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
Unless riding is a group....do you really thinking riding with a mask is necessary? I'm not taking any chances right now and being very careful and conservative...but I don't think a mask in really necessary if you're just riding by yourself.
I think it depends on where you live and if you will be passing (or get passed) by other riders or joggers.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:53 PM

I've been using my HUK fishing gaitor and a plain surgical mask.

Gaitor is far better looking.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:05 AM

Assos makes a neck warmer that covers the mouth and nose. It comes in 3 sizes. Overpriced.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:19 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

If you are talking gaiters/buffs there is a company called SA that sells them online

They are pointed at fishing and outdoors so there is a lot of camo and “tactical” colors (dark solids) but they always have packages and promos

I got an 8 pack a while back for about $30 shipped. They have held up well so far.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:34 AM

For the current and ex- bmxers, poor boy has some masks that look like the old Jofas or Oakley 'beak' style face protectors, not technically a mask but a buff style https://poorboysteev.bigcartel.com/
Old 04-24-2020, 09:29 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

I’m confused, I have a few n95 masks leftover from woodworking projects. I have been using those but know they won’t last forever.

These mask suggestions, are they that grade of effectiveness? Some have pouches for filters but some seem to be jersey material. Are they effective? Also, if you have don’t have the ability to seal it to your face (most of these don’t have a bendable nose piece) how much will the masks help?

I know there are other loud opinionated threads about mask effectiveness, I’m not talking about that. I guess I should ask “are there any masks out there that have a filter pouch and a bendable nose piece...made by cycling/outdoor companies?”
Old 04-24-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
I’m confused, I have a few n95 masks leftover from woodworking projects. I have been using those but know they won’t last forever.

These mask suggestions, are they that grade of effectiveness? Some have pouches for filters but some seem to be jersey material. Are they effective? Also, if you have don’t have the ability to seal it to your face (most of these don’t have a bendable nose piece) how much will the masks help?

I know there are other loud opinionated threads about mask effectiveness, I’m not talking about that. I guess I should ask “are there any masks out there that have a filter pouch and a bendable nose piece...made by cycling/outdoor companies?”

Following up on my own post. Most of the companies discussed here say that their masks are not “medical” and make no claims of protection. I’m looking for a mask with pouches for filter AND adjustable nose pieces.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
Following up on my own post. Most of the companies discussed here say that their masks are not “medical” and make no claims of protection. I’m looking for a mask with pouches for filter AND adjustable nose pieces.
Your N95 construction masks can be reused. Wear one, then hang it to dry for 24-48 hours. No other treatment necessary. You could have a rotation of three or four that will keep you covered for a while. We're doing exactly this, although our exposure is extremely limited. I wore one for exactly 10 minutes yesterday (grocery curb-side pickup), had no other need for it within the past two weeks...

The PM2.5 filters are difficult to find and will let through much larger particles.

That having been said, I will probably switch to these as well for longer term use. I ordered four from etsy a while ago, along with a couple of dozen PM2.5 filters. Already got one set of the filters, haven't gotten the masks yet...

I expect to be wearing these when things start to open up to our "new normal."
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 04-24-2020, 11:47 AM

I’ve been doing that. The kind of n95 I have has a valve so my exhaled breath isn’t filtered so it doesn’t really help others.

I’m kind of planning for the long haul though. If this is something I’ll be wearing off/on, even minimally, over the next 12-18 months I’m going to need something more durable/comfortable than the few masks I have.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Yep

Too bad they are all sold out.
Back in stock, as of this mornings email!
Old 04-24-2020, 01:16 PM

Soulrun:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/soulrun/

Inside Line Equipment: https://ilequipment.com/collections/...tton-face-mask

Reload Bags:
https://www.reloadbags.com/Hats-s/1976.htm
Old 04-24-2020, 01:47 PM
You still here?

I'm using masks made by Walz Caps https://www.walzcaps.com/products/face-masks Well made and comfortable. Walz has an excellent give-back program that I endorse.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS View Post
Anyone order a mask they really like? Looking for recommendations for cloth/wear to the grocery store type of mask? Looking for recommendations for both adults and kids.

I saw champion systems are making masks. Any other cycling (or cycling adjacent) companies making masks that you know of?
https://pandanausa.com/

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 04-25-2020 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:16 PM
Everything is connected

https://rotheracycling.com/