Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
I've been using the desoto mask - the one with the tie bands so I can have it go around the back of my head and not the back of my ears, which starts to hurt if I'm wearing it for an extended period of time. Of the 6 different ones I've tried, that's the one I'm ordering more of. It's 3-ply and has a filter pocket and once I set and tied the straps, I haven't had to adjust them at all, even after washing.
Only down side is that they don't have an adjustable nosepiece

I had been contemplating buying the reusable ones made by Brooks Brothers. No idea if more will be made in the future (or whether the impending shut-down of the plants making them would be a concern)
Old 07-10-2020, 10:20 AM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
I believe a number of them are or at least had been.

Although not a forum sponsor, Eliel makes them locally for me: https://www.elielcycling.com/collect...ew=bc-original
I have about a dozen different masks and find that these are the only ones that are breathable enough for cycling.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:36 PM
v a n i l l a

Any other domestically available gaiter options to consider in addition to cutaway and pandana?
Old 07-25-2020, 09:02 PM
Hrmm

Didn't read through the whole thread but my friend likes this one which is washable and lifts the mask off your face and prevents fogging with glasses.
I haven't personally tried it yet but will likely order one soon for when I have to ride in crowded areas.
https://the-xo-mask.myshopify.com
Old 07-25-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asudef View Post
Didn't read through the whole thread but my friend likes this one which is washable and lifts the mask off your face and prevents fogging with glasses.
I haven't personally tried it yet but will likely order one soon for when I have to ride in crowded areas.
https://the-xo-mask.myshopify.com
If you cross the straps that go around your ears (so they form an "X"), it keeps your glasses from fogging so badly. I scoffed at the idea, but it works for me.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:27 PM
Hrmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
If you cross the straps that go around your ears (so they form an "X"), it keeps your glasses from fogging so badly. I scoffed at the idea, but it works for me.
I will try that with other masks. The ones I've been wearing don't go over the ears and made of cloth so they suffocate during any exertion.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
Any other domestically available gaiter options to consider in addition to cutaway and pandana?
Desoto makes a decent gaiter. I've not used it as a face mask, but have worn it around my neck for yard work and it has kept me cooler the last few days when I wet it first. Bonus is it blocks some, not all, uv rays as well.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:24 PM

High output masks for riding?

Anyone riding in a mask? I don’t use one when solo but always keep one in a handlebar bag for stops. If I needed it for negotiating a MUP or a side-by-side ride with a friend, what’s the best option?
Old 09-10-2020, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
Anyone riding in a mask? I don’t use one when solo but always keep one in a handlebar bag for stops. If I needed it for negotiating a MUP or a side-by-side ride with a friend, what’s the best option?
merged with the other big thread on topic

lots of options here.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:38 PM

I've been wearing the De Soto Sport 3-ply skin cooler mask for every ride since mid MAR and have been very satisfied with it. I also wear it for errands, dog walks, etc.

https://www.desotosport.com/products...oler-face-mask
Old 09-10-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
Riding slower for reduced air consumption. Anything rated ASTM Level 2 or above is going to feel awfully restrictive.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:24 PM

I'd love a mask integrated into a jersey. Then I could pretend it wasn't a mask and not feel so foolish for accepting a reality where masks are commonplace or believed necessary.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahumblecycler View Post
I've been wearing the De Soto Sport 3-ply skin cooler mask for every ride since mid MAR and have been very satisfied with it. I also wear it for errands, dog walks, etc.

https://www.desotosport.com/products...oler-face-mask
+1 on the DeSoto masks. They have 1, 2 and 3 ply options available. For the hot weather the 1 ply breathes really well. For everyday use I prefer the 2 and 3 ply masks.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:15 PM
shimergo

I've been using these masks from GoRuck for the past couple of months for every day/errand use. Ties behind your head compared to masks that go around your ear. This is something I needed since I've had to wear this for extended times. Has an internal pocket that you can slide in a PM2.5 filter into. There's a wire nose bridge to optimize fit around your nose, which is also helpful to reduce fogging of glasses. MiUSA too.

https://www.goruck.com/face-mask-blank-2-pack/
Old 09-10-2020, 10:33 PM

Have been using the Under Armour UA Sportmask, they are expensive but work well and are comfortable while riding and using when needed. I've tried a lot of hand-made types that never seem to properly cover my nose and mouth and leave gaps. The UA masks are $30 each.

It would be useful if they rated masks somewhere on virus protection effectiveness......though not sure what methodology they'd use to test them!