Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2020, 12:30 PM

A nice youtube on a Bingham 2020 NAHBS show bike. Beautiful !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fSgpOHPbEw
Old 04-10-2020, 12:46 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

A vote for the Lynskey approach. My budget Ti Gravel started out as a ProCX Frame. Sale prices, as Lynskey does is a budget friendly start.

I choose the The ProCX specifically for the not so low BB as I knew I was going 650b. I have a Steel All Road with 8CM BB drop and with 650b was banging pedals. So being retired now, just get another one, right?

I still have the Steel Strong All road, another approach I 'Strong'ly advocate for. Carl knows how to put a bike together like nobody's business.

Back to the Lynskey, I went very HD, very stout frame/bike and reached out to Carl Strong in fact for a steel fork. [I prefer Steel forks]. Once I rode the ProCX and liked it, I decided to colorize it. So I did up a vinyl stylize and cleared over the front 2/3 and went a bonkers on the tape etc. I also have some Soma Orange Supple Vitesse on another wheelset...

A fellow forum-ite referred to it as a real Mongrel, so I dubbed it thus in his Honor [dddd]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mongrel-650b-Vinyl.jpg (143.9 KB, 465 views)

Last edited by robt57; 04-10-2020 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:47 PM

For anyone looking for a titanium bike, I would highly recommend looking at Alchemy and talking with Ryan.

https://alchemybicycles.com/
Old 04-10-2020, 12:49 PM

Another vote for No22 Drifter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg No22 Drifter.jpg (147.0 KB, 471 views)
Old 04-10-2020, 12:50 PM
ferro verum est

Who are the builders that use chainstay yokes to achieve optimum tire clearance? I know Firefly and Alliance both have that option, any others?
Old 04-10-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicCows View Post
Who are the builders that use chainstay yokes to achieve optimum tire clearance? I know Firefly and Alliance both have that option, any others?
I think Sklar does too.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:05 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

BTW, I test fit a 1.95 full 29er MTB tire on the ProCX Mongrel. Not too tight to actually use either, well maybe. Point is the ProCX frame has quite generous clearance. I may one day get a Plus/MCX fork for it and run a front 2.3 rear 1.95 for sheits and giggles...

And EDIT: You gotta like/want a little faster front end for this path [ProCX]. But my Mongrel is 72.8 HTA, my Strong is 72.5. As Endurance a HTA I can tolerate personally...

Last edited by robt57; 04-10-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:10 PM

For the amount of $$$ you’re going to spend, you’re buying the builder as much as the bike. Personally, I regret not having a bike built by Jim Kish. Everyone who works with him raves about his ability to connect - and stay connected - to his customers.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
A titanium bike will definitely stand up better to mud, grit and strapping a bunch of stuff to it.
Opens are cool- but kind of fragile (I have an UPPER).

The Routt 45 has a lot of stack and a steeper seat angle- both would benefit you based on your pics.

But it also appears that the Moots will have short front center judging by the head angle and toptube lengths. This is a bad thing for gravel.

For the same money you could get a Bingham Built or a Seven Evergreen- both 100% custom.
Seven is now doing internal routing- this is new for them.

Not sure why you wouldn't choose one of those options- You have to wait for a stock Moots anyhow unless a dealer has your size on the floor.
I love this answer. Kinda sums it up for me.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:23 PM

So I want a titanium gravel bike

My Drifter in 650b mode

Tony’s T-lab absoluteBlack edition is bada$$

Lynskey makes the best bang for buck frame IMO Moots are great and utilitarian, but not cheap. There really are more bikes than ever to choose from and they will all get the job done. It really depends on budget, features and fit. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 04-10-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
For the amount of $$$ you’re going to spend, you’re buying the builder as much as the bike. Personally, I regret not having a bike built by Jim Kish. Everyone who works with him raves about his ability to connect - and stay connected - to his customers.
You shouldn't have to "buy" a builder. I am sure a builder wouldnt like to feel like you are buying him when you buy a bike. Buying a builder just sounds weird. I am not sure what you mean. Do you mean buy is life long friendship when you buy the builder. That is creepy. Deeply creepy.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
The 22Bikes sale now ends April 17.

I wonder what the delivery date will be now?

I have a buddy who just started working there last month before they shut down due to being non essential. He is back wrenching at the LBS ironically right down the road until they are allowed to get back to it. Not sure when that will be just yet, but it will likely be about 8-12 weeks from whenever that happens. Also depends on how many people take advantage of the 22% off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2020, 01:55 PM

I took "buy" builder to mean have the builder and you be on the same page when it comes to the all design elements of the bike. It also meant to me that you not only like the builder's aesthetic and engineering aspects of the bike put also the customer service. Lastly, it also meant to me that you like the builder as a person and would like to support them.

Well...at least this is what "buy" meant to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
You shouldn't have to "buy" a builder. I am sure a builder wouldnt like to feel like you are buying him when you buy a bike. Buying a builder just sounds weird. I am not sure what you mean. Do you mean buy is life long friendship when you buy the builder. That is creepy. Deeply creepy.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I love having my own personal pet troll. Kinda cute.

Last edited by XXtwindad; 04-10-2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:07 PM

I love my Strong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2520small.jpg (133.6 KB, 421 views)

Last edited by pncguy; 04-10-2020 at 02:14 PM.