Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2020, 01:47 PM

Here's a recent eBay listing for a Serotta Legend Ti with Campagnolo 11-speed Super Record that sold for $1,241.56. Why spend $7,900 to $11,500 for a new titanium Serotta when you can pick up a lightly used one so cheap?

Back in the 1990's, titanium was the hot new material, but by now its glamour has worn off.

Last edited by fiamme red; 02-12-2020 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i may have exaggerated a bit, but my point was, when Serotta first started building in Titanium, it was easier to differentiate themselves as being "better" than the competition, not as easy in 2020.
Right, and the core of the Ti crew at the end of Serotta (Pronto & Fondo designers, welder, etc) are all now at No22. So who's making these bikes for Ben?

As much as the name Serotta had a certain standard for what we expected the bikes to be, you were also buying the "American Craftsman" behind making the bikes, and these guys are all out on their own now or working at different places. I'm sure they'll be great riding bikes, as Ben's brazed aModoMio was, but will they move the needle above the competition to justify the price premium?

I say this as a Serotta fan who now owns 2 No22's and a KBedford, all bought because of the history of the guys behind them and knowing that meant they'd create a great bike.

Last edited by ltwtsculler91; 02-12-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:54 PM

I was a member here for many years before Serotta went under and this became the Paceline forum. I always felt there was something special about Serotta bikes, and my ATi mountain bike remains in many ways the finest bike I've ever owned. I am happy to see the brand back, even if the bikes are not within my budget in the foreseeable future. I'd say, give them a chance before writing this off as a bad idea.
"Wait, stop! We can outsmart those dolphins. Don't forget: we invented computers, leg warmers, bendy straws, peel-and-eat shrimp, the glory hole, *and* the pudding cup!" -Homer Simpson, Treehouse of Horror XI

Old 02-12-2020, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Here's a recent eBay listing for a Serotta Legend Ti with Campagnolo 11-speed Super Record that sold for $1,241.56. Why spend $7,900 to $11,500 for a new titanium Serotta when you can pick up a lightly used one so cheap?
c'mon. what's the point of making comments like this?

why do people buy new cars when there are plenty of used toyotas on the road? why do people buy a new rolex, including the wait list when there are used ones on ebay?

new assos bibs are pretty expensive, and you can buy used ones of those too on ebay.

you could carry the above philosophy to almost any product.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:02 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Were titanium Merlins and Spectrums terrible? I have no idea, since I've never been on a titanium bike.
I can speak for the Spectrum, 1997 Ti Super Extra Light, not terrible. Not even as compared to anything today... Does it look as modern with a 1" Headtube/fork? No...
Old 02-12-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
c'mon. what's the point of making comments like this?

why do people buy new cars when there are plenty of used toyotas on the road? why do people buy a new rolex, including the wait list when there are used ones on ebay?

new assos bibs are pretty expensive, and you can buy used ones of those too on ebay.

you could carry the above philosophy to almost any product.
But it's clear to me that most Serottas maintain their value much less than a brand like Moots (e.g., this frame which sold for $2,125). So while there are still premium titanium brands, Serotta is no longer one of them.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:06 PM

Tough to see how this will go. There has never been more options for high end titanium bikes IMO. Not sure what to expect just yet and hope that at these prices they are at least sourced and built in the USA. Ben clearly knows how design a bike and still has a loyal following amongst some cyclists. I loved almost every Serotta I have thrown a leg over.

The majority of bicycles I have owned at this point have had some lineage going back to Serotta. I am still a bit unsure how these new bikes will differentiate from all the others and wish Ben well in the venture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2020, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
... So while there are still premium titanium brands, Serotta is no longer one of them.
As someone who still owns 3 Serottas, I have to agree. As much as I hope that Ben manages to revive his business, Serotta wouldn't be on the top of my list if I was shopping for a Ti bike.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:11 PM

I don't get it, but wish him all the success.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:12 PM

Glad they're back.

I have owned four and still have one ('11 Colorado SG). If I could find a Meivici, Ottrott, or CdA which fit me right I'd seriously consider buying it.

I like the old logo better.

Maybe we can now get access to production records and touch-up paint.

As we used to say at my former employer, 'It is good to have goals.'
Old 02-12-2020, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD View Post
...Maybe we can now get access to production records and touch-up paint...
Sadly, this is unlikely. There may be some records still available, but I understand that their computer died that had many of these records and this information wasn't recoverable.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:23 PM

Same business model (I bet) as Chris (Fat) Chance using name and logos to hit an old market and get a few bikes made to buy their next dinner.

Seven has it down well, this appears who he will be competing with.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
As someone who still owns 3 Serottas, I have to agree. As much as I hope that Ben manages to revive his business, Serotta wouldn't be on the top of my list if I was shopping for a Ti bike.
This is the former Serotta Forum, and you would expect that if there's any place with a large number of Serotta aficionados, it's here. Yet I can't remember ever seeing a Serotta Design Studio bike on Paceline in the past two years, except a Duetti that Clean39T was recently selling.

Last edited by fiamme red; 02-12-2020 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:31 PM
Administrator

well,

if i've been following recent Paceline threads and paying attention, i know that OLD road cyclists:

(a) have lots of nostalgia for the "old days" of Serotta prowess

(b) like performance e-bikes so they can keep up on their group rides without slowing the upper middle aged guys down too much

so let's hope Ben throws some motors in these new hot rods!!

Old 02-12-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
This is the former Serotta Forum, and you would expect that if there's any place with a large number of Serotta aficionados, it's here. Yet I can't remember ever seeing a Serotta Design Studio bike on Paceline in the past two years, except a Duetti that Clean39T was recently selling.
It doesn't seem like these ever took off. A semi-custom Aluminum bike seems like a good idea, and I'd love to try one out but for the money it didn't make sense to me over a Trek Emonda ALR which is a killer bike.

As for the aModoMio's the one I rode (while it was big for me, and this was like a 3 mile spin) was an awesome steel bike. Just seemed to have that killer balance and float over the road with the right amount of feedback and snap. It just came down to it costing almost double what a superb KBedford or Fabrica would cost.

It seems like the new Ti pricing is more in line with the market for these bikes, so we'll wait and see.