Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2020, 11:45 AM

I don't know...maybe there could be a bit more pics of frames on website...whatever...but not sure why folks think it is so absolutely terrible...I doubt if not obsessing abut how a website looks and making it look all fandango and cool is an obvious deathknell for things to come...give the guy a chance...
Old 02-12-2020, 11:54 AM
50 bpm

I'll be interested to see how this goes. At that price point, there's a lot of competition and the Serotta loyalty -- other than Dave T and me and a few others -- has moved on.

I'll always have a Serotta. Not sure I'd fork out $8k+ for another one.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:57 AM
Administrator

interested to see what Ben brings to the table.

unfortunately, when Serotta first started making titanium bikes, other Ti bikes were terrible. the noodly litespeeds and ibis bikes of yesteryear were not good riding bikes for most people, and Serotta elevated the titanium frame building business. they were really the best ti bikes you could buy.

today, any Ti framebuilder who wants to claim to be the best, or stand shoulder to shoulder with the best needs to compete with the likes of Firefly, Mossaic, Indy Fab, etc. There is no shortage of really really good bespoke ti bikes these days, so barring something really remarkable, the spot at the top of the podium will be nearly impossible to steal.

anyway, as always, i wish Ben luck and success. i'd happily welcome some new serotta magic back on the road!
Old 02-12-2020, 12:00 PM

People might not like the reality of it but $8,000-$11,000 is not out of line for custom Ti. My new Ti Zanconato fell in that price range. You can easily spend more than that on a Moots, Firefly... And yes, there will always be cheaper options as well. Let's see what he has to offer for that money before writing this latest business venture off as a failure.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
People might not like the reality of it but $8,000-$11,000 is not out of line for custom Ti. My new Ti Zanconato fell in that price range. You can easily spend more than that on a Moots, Firefly... And yes, there will always be cheaper options as well. Let's see what he has to offer for that money before writing this latest business venture off as a failure.
The pricing is competitive enough, but these other brands (also No 22, Mosaic, I could go on) have established and proven specs, geometry, turnaround time. Even showing an option for people to throw down a $2k deposit at this point in the process is insulting.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

unfortunately, when Serotta first started making titanium bikes, other Ti bikes were terrible. the noodly litespeeds and ibis bikes of yesteryear were not good riding bikes for most people, and Serotta elevated the titanium frame building business. they were really the best ti bikes you could buy.

today, any Ti framebuilder who wants to claim to be the best, or stand shoulder to shoulder with the best needs to compete with the likes of Firefly, Mossaic, Indy Fab, etc. There is no shortage of really really good bespoke ti bikes these days, so barring something really remarkable, the spot at the top of the podium will be nearly impossible to steal.

anyway, as always, i wish Ben luck and success. i'd happily welcome some new serotta magic back on the road!
You think Ibis ti is noodly? Hmm..
Old 02-12-2020, 12:17 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
The Legend I rode early 00s was just a flexy as the mid 90s LS Classic I was trying to losse for exactly that reason. I got another newer [00-01 I think] Classic which was a bit better, but got replaced with a Carl Strong Steel Frame that I still have.

The Legend Frame I rode was a guy's withing a few lbs of me at the time it was made for. Today 20 years later I am sure either would be fine...
Old 02-12-2020, 12:23 PM
Riding Along

I bet dollars to donuts that he will produce an excellent Ti bike. However, he should perhaps consider letting someone vet the names for his bikes. This was the case at the old Serotta and holds true. They are too cryptic and convoluted, IMHO. I say this with no disrespect just from and consumer/marketing view. I own two Serottas and I am a fan.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:30 PM

Put down a $2000* deposit today!!

* approx.~1-2 root canals

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
Put down a $2,000 deposit today!!*

*Images, details, everything else forthcoming
Old 02-12-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Angry is a WATT KING! We love you, Nick. 🥰
Old 02-12-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Were titanium Merlins and Spectrums terrible? I have no idea, since I've never been on a titanium bike.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:03 PM
Administrator

i may have exaggerated a bit, but my point was, when Serotta first started building in Titanium, it was easier to differentiate themselves as being "better" than the competition, not as easy in 2020.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:25 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:

Nick is on point here with regard to increased competition. This isn't the custom bike world of 20 years ago. Building a great bike and having great customer interactions is now a point of parity for the top builders. The points of differentiation are in brand perception, unique details and connection with the builder(s).

At the same time, I've seen the prices/waitlists for Fireflies.... I do think there is a place for a functional Ti bike with some pedigree at a fair price. Like someone once said, the "Legend ... is the best privateer race bike around."
Old 02-12-2020, 01:33 PM
aka RAEKWON

he is right on point. The TI market is saturated with fantastic frame builders and you can't just rely on your name anymore to sell bikes
Old 02-12-2020, 01:42 PM
cmg

Another Serotta fanboy here. Had over a dozen of them, always have a Serotta ready to ride. Buying a high dollar Serotta, no need to. You can get a custom TI frameset including carbon fork under $4500. some as low as $3200. just a get frameset and transfer parts.