Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Take a look at those “nicest looking/riding bike” threads. The majority of bikes on those threads are high end vintage bikes or middle tier modern bikes. There are very few high end modern bikes. I think that’s why they don’t sell here.
this is not a high end carbon or ti super bike forum for sure... and everyone here wants the best deal possible, the bro deal, or the are you crazy man? deal.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:16 PM

Having sold more than a dozen bikes from my collection recently as well as from years of previous experience, I can tell you that the best 'complete' bike market is in September and October. I don't know why, but it just is. The best 'parts' market seems to be January-February. Again, don't know why, just is.

Really expensive bikes have a limited market, as has been talked about over the past four pages. eBay is a worldwide market and the best for something truly unusual (e.g. not TrekSpecializeEtc), but be prepared to ship. TP is great for unusual stuff but only if it sells immediately. Otherwise, it...lingers.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:46 PM

I have been trying to sell my Trek Emonda SLR 8, with full Dura-Ace and C35 wheels, locally on CL for several months. Want to fund a moots routt rsl. Not even any tire kickers.... and with less than 1500 miles on it, I refuse to discount 60% of what I have in it. The noobs in the local clubs would rather spend the same amount for a disc bike that weighs 5 pounds more with low-end components. I recently asked one how he liked his new C-Dale disc bike set up tubeless. He said he loved it... especially the much SAFER disc brakes. I asked if he did much wet weather riding... and that seemed to confuse him. I almost wanted him to flat, just to watch the struggle with oozing sealant along the side of the road. I'll probably end up keeping it to go with my C59 and vamoots RSL...
Old 12-04-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonaBP View Post
I have been trying to sell my Trek Emonda SLR 8, with full Dura-Ace and C35 wheels, locally on CL for several months. Want to fund a moots routt rsl. Not even any tire kickers.... and with less than 1500 miles on it, I refuse to discount 60% of what I have in it. The noobs in the local clubs would rather spend the same amount for a disc bike that weighs 5 pounds more with low-end components. I recently asked one how he liked his new C-Dale disc bike set up tubeless. He said he loved it... especially the much SAFER disc brakes. I asked if he did much wet weather riding... and that seemed to confuse him. I almost wanted him to flat, just to watch the struggle with oozing sealant along the side of the road. I'll probably end up keeping it to go with my C59 and vamoots RSL...
The forum is more fun when people don't attack peoples choices to ride disc brakes every 15 minutes.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Having sold more than a dozen bikes from my collection recently as well as from years of previous experience, I can tell you that the best 'complete' bike market is in September and October. I don't know why, but it just is. The best 'parts' market seems to be January-February. Again, don't know why, just is.

Really expensive bikes have a limited market, as has been talked about over the past four pages. eBay is a worldwide market and the best for something truly unusual (e.g. not TrekSpecializeEtc), but be prepared to ship. TP is great for unusual stuff but only if it sells immediately. Otherwise, it...lingers.
I would argue Instagram is the best place to sell something unique. But you have the be the lifestyle. Get enough followers who "like your style" then you have a very concentrated marketplace for your wares.

Last edited by joosttx; 12-04-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I world argue Instagram is the best place to sell something unique. But you have the be the lifestyle. Get enough followers who "like your style" then you have a very concentrated marketplace for your wares.
Agreed, especially in certain markets like the SF Bay. It does help a lot when you follow the right channels and they follow you too. Ask around to see if any friends have an online presence to post on your behalf.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:59 PM

Flipping the switch....that's what I'm seeing...and it's happening faster than I ever imagined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbike4 View Post
I will second, or third timto and say that the Sunday group I ride with was all rim brake and just getting to 11 speed until a couple of years ago and then it was like someone flipped a switch and bingo, guys and girls show up with disc, Di2, SRAM etap, and not one but 2 guys have a Cipollini with 12 speed Campy electric, go figure.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:02 PM

I'd agree with all of the above, but especially the 'part it out' crowd.

If not willing to do that, take some great close-up photos, yeah maybe re-wrap the bars, and continue to practice patience. Spring is not that far off. Your starting bid is not too high, IMO.

Anecdotal story... was watching a Moots road bike with a YBB rear end on the 'Bay a year or so ago. Communicated with the very nice seller as he continued to drop the price again and again. Finally decided I really couldn't justify adding another bike to my stable.

He dropped down to the 'magic price', at which point bidding finally commenced.

It was actually bid up to his original asking price, from several months before.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

i have an $8000 custom frameset in my possession, new in 2015. right now, i doubt i could sell it for more than $1500. i like it more than that, so i'm going to hold onto it, maybe build it again someday, maybe ride it, maybe give it to someone. see? it's easy.
Hey, nate, what size is it? If you’re thinking about giving it to someone...
Old 12-04-2019, 09:19 PM
Boeuf Chane

Unless you really hate the components, strip them all off, pack them away for your next project, and sell the frame.

If you can't sell the bare frame keep lowering the price until you can.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:42 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Same as good antiques, may as well use them as firewood.

Clock collector (fortunately don't want to sell) market value for all except 2 are far less than I was hoping for in retirement.
market for antiques has just fallen through the floor. Lots of good reasons for that. As someone that appreciates antiques, I hate to see it. But I don't want to own any more either.
A relative needs money and wanted us to sell a family heirloom clock, 150 year old Seth Thomas (yes, sold in Walmart originally). It was an antique when it was given as a wedding present in 1934. Pretty cool to have something that old, I think it's the oldest antique I have held in my hands. I went looking for how much to ask for it, and the prices are all over the place. I saw an auction result for $5k, and some for $750. best offer we got for it was $200 so we still have it.

Bikes are the same way right now. The bike market is a bit soft anyway, so if a bike is out of style, it's not worth anything. I don't see skinny tire rim brake road bikes making a comeback any time soon. on edit: I went and looked at the bike. The real problem is that the chain needs to be on the big chain ring in the pics. Had you but done that to begin with, it would have sold.

Last edited by unterhausen; 12-04-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:07 PM

I think the OP is a marketing genius. Kudos.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:10 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Johnson View Post
Greetings, Paceliners,

It has been some time since I have posted here. Not riding as much since heart surgery in March 2018.

As some of you have seen in the past, I have tried to sell my Hampsten Team Pro in several places: Craigslist, eBay, as well as Paceline. I have had questions about size, measurements, tire capacity, blah, blah, blah. The price has gone from what some have called high to what now seems almost laughably low for such quality as this frameset represents, let alone the mix of components on the bike. Still no bids or offers. None.

This sounds like a sour grapes rant, but I would really like to understand what is going on in the marketplace. I can be realistic, but resist giving away this or other quality bikes I would like to sell. Is there just a glut of bikes around?

Thanks in advance for reasonable replies.

TC
Sadly bikes, like cars, lose a lot of value when used. People often just want the frame, not your parts choice.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:14 PM

Tastes and interests change. Even the good stuff eventually falls out of favor. Maybe someday it becomes a cult-classic. Maybe it doesn't. Learn to swim. And let it go.

IMHO, your Hampsten is beautiful. Maybe your goal should be to find it a good home, regardless the sale price....I always feel better losing money when I know someone else is happy and benefitting from getting something they didn't expect to have the chance to enjoy....

Last edited by Clean39T; 12-04-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:29 PM

Like elsa... Let it go....