Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-09-2019, 08:54 PM

[QUOTE=Clean39T;2551112]
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd0012 View Post
That's actually my bike and I ended up with Steve's F8. Small world!

Uh oh.

Need a gravel rig?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Dan, you crack me up! I’m curious what billyd0012 thinks of the F8. If he feels the way I did, he won’t want to sell or trade.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:12 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Oh and Dan, I'm all for you scratching that itch. 59.5. I figure when you don't like it as much as metal bikes, well, I'm still holding the Sachs and Kirk so I'm sure we can work something out

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2019, 10:19 PM

Dan,

Not is the market right now for a gravel rig. I would have traded you the Pinarello for your old Peg or that Speedvagen you sold last year (plus cash on my part).

I love the F8, just rode it this morning. Very similar to the 65.1 though. Nice and stiff, and a great Italian fit (ie: top tube isn't crazy long, but still a racer feel).

[QUOTE=Clean39T;2551112]
Quote:
That's actually my bike and I ended up with Steve's F8. Small world!

Uh oh.

Need a gravel rig?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
Oh and Dan, I'm all for you scratching that itch. 59.5. I figure when you don't like it as much as metal bikes, well, I'm still holding the Sachs and Kirk so I'm sure we can work something out
This is the problem with only having room for three bikes!
Old 06-10-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Dan,

Not is the market right now for a gravel rig. I would have traded you the Pinarello for your old Peg or that Speedvagen you sold last year (plus cash on my part).

I love the F8, just rode it this morning. Very similar to the 65.1 though. Nice and stiff, and a great Italian fit (ie: top tube isn't crazy long, but still a racer feel).
I figured - was an outside chance at best..

I'd love to give the 65.1 a whirl. Any other thoughts about ride qualities or differences between the 65.1 and F8?

Last edited by Clean39T; 06-10-2019 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
Feel free to factually prove me wrong. Until then, you're falling for marketing. After all, he's got bikes under his own name to sell, so they have to be better, right?
I trust that Craig G. gives an honest opinion and calls a spade a fking shovel when it needs to be - and that's all I have to say about that..
Old 06-10-2019, 02:53 AM

^
An opinion is not facts, and people replying "so and so said so" isn't informative at all in this context (the KarlC/Blown Reek/Kirk007 construction technique debate).

I was genuinely interested in the actual, physical, facts about this "frames built under tension" claim, the how/what/why/where of it, but cannot find any facts about it here in this thread, or anywhere for that matter. Not even on Pinarello's dedicated F8 web page.

So, that was a kind of fruitless search.
A hot air balloon is under tension too (and is nicer to look at imo).
Old 06-10-2019, 06:12 AM

Find a Magnesium Dogma. Those were the best ones.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Find a Magnesium Dogma. Those were the best ones.
Concur. The one I owned for a short time had ride quality for days.

Our magnesium tandem similarly is stiff in all the right places but extremely comfortable.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:16 AM

Go for the F10. Apparently, it's sprinkled with nano dust:
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/p...JlbGxvIGYxMA==
Old 06-10-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
^
An opinion is not facts, and people replying "so and so said so" isn't informative at all in this context (the KarlC/Blown Reek/Kirk007 construction technique debate).

I was genuinely interested in the actual, physical, facts about this "frames built under tension" claim, the how/what/why/where of it, but cannot find any facts about it here in this thread, or anywhere for that matter. Not even on Pinarello's dedicated F8 web page.

So, that was a kind of fruitless search.
A hot air balloon is under tension too (and is nicer to look at imo).
Just to be clear I dont have an opinion on how an F8 is built, all I did was copy and paste what Craig actually wrote. If you are genuinely interested in what was actually said why not read the thread I linked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I trust that Craig G. gives an honest opinion and calls a spade a fking shovel when it needs to be - and that's all I have to say about that..

+100

Old 06-10-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
It looks like it's melting. Or ripples of water. But I'd love to throw a leg over one to check it out.

Or like a "Mystical Dagger" you'd buy at the gas station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-10-2019, 10:29 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
Just to be clear I dont have an opinion on how an F8 is built, all I did was copy and paste what Craig actually wrote. If you are genuinely interested in what was actually said why not read the thread I linked?

+100

ditto, call Craig or go visit San Diego since he's the only one talking about it and talks about both in the context of Pinarellos and his own bikes.

I don't really care either way but I do find it interesting - its hard to visualize although I know next to nothing about how these frames are built, and would be interested in the same facts. I also find it interesting that what Craig describes is a manufacturer "detuning" if you will its more recent iteration of its flagship roadbike.

My point was only that Craig had been called out on this tension claim as just marketing without some evidence to back it up, and I don't see a clear motivaion here on Craig's part to make it up. I don't know Blown Reek - maybe he is a composites expert who has a lot of knowledge about the process - that would be helpful info to know.

My background includes being a trial lawyer and unsubstantiated claims without evidence don't get you very far in that world, but I don't care enough to call Craig and ask him directly. Maybe I would if I was in the market.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I would not buy a bike that only clears 23mm.. Specially when you are used to the good stuff. 25mm is a maybe but we all know 28 is the sweet spot (actually I am a 32mm kind of guy now but still enjoy 28s). If I was to get one probably be an F8.

That said, it would be really hard choosing btw a dogma or a C59/C60/C64.... I actually think lately I would pick the dogma just because its so different
you forgot festka in there. if there is a better bike than my festka, id be tickled
Old 06-10-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
you forgot festka in there. if there is a better bike than my festka, id be tickled
Yeah, I'd pick a Festka, Crumpton, or Holland as my "ultimate" carbon bike - but I'd still be curious to ride a Dogma even if I had one of those three..