Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2018, 01:02 AM

Why so little love for Calfee?

Maybe I haven’t been paying attention, but Calfees don’t seem to get many props up in here...and I’m just curious what might be the driver there? Is it a lack of Instagram game on their part? People don’t like the lugs? What gives?

They really aren’t that expensive compared to a lot of other custom options...
Old 04-13-2018, 01:11 AM
ferro verum est

Nothing against the brand but I've always felt their frames have had very similar aesthetics for the past ~20 years. He's a real innovator in the field of carbon frames and I'm sure they ride superbly but they just don't have as much a bling factor that us vain cyclists love.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicCows View Post
Nothing against the brand but I've always felt their frames have had very similar aesthetics for the past ~20 years. He's a real innovator in the field of carbon frames and I'm sure they ride superbly but they just don't have as much a bling factor that us vain cyclists love.

I’d have agreed, but then I went looking and found this:

Is bling...no?
Old 04-13-2018, 01:47 AM

not hip enough, imo.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:17 AM
Barely Hanging On

I think the perception (not necessarily reality) is that Calfee hasn't really done much to modernize the bikes, particularly when so many of the mass builders are constantly touting improvements. I had one and really liked it, but sold it to fund a Cannondale SuperSix. If I could buy back the Calfee, I probably would.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I’d have agreed, but then I went looking and found this:

Is bling...no?
Even though this bike is super modern, aesthetically it is still stuck in the late 90s/early 00s.

The lugs/webbing seem to have been left behind by the majority of carbon manufacturers. I'm sure Calfee has reasons for sticking with this construction method but it makes the bikes look quite dated. The graphics and colour choices aren't helping the cause in this case, either.

That said, I wouldn't say no to one.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:54 AM

The problem with Calfee bikes is the lug aesthetics. They look unfinished, like a near-net-shape forged part where someone forgot to machine away the forging artifacts.

Last edited by HTupolev; 04-13-2018 at 02:58 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:19 AM

I saw the new bikes at nahbs and they looked pretty bada$$. I've never actually owned one, but I wouldn't mind trying one out some day.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:21 AM
ZhugeLiang

there are tons of love for calfee...when someone asks for recommendation as to who they might go to in fixing a third-party broken carbon frame.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:55 AM

All y’all east-coasters sure do get up early..

Just finished a 14hr drive from SoCal to PDX. Too much Guayraki Mate. Not sure where to go from here.

Browsing eBay for Calfee frames seems like a good idea. What could go wrong?
Old 04-13-2018, 05:55 AM

I like the manta a lot when the paint is subdued. There was an all black gravel/cx one a while ago on the radavist or some similar site that I was a huge fan of.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:58 AM

Calfees are awesome.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTupolev View Post
The problem with Calfee bikes is the lug aesthetics. They look unfinished, like a near-net-shape forged part where someone forgot to machine away the forging artifacts.
This. Buttressed lugs on small diameter steel is one thing, but on this scale it just looks exactly as described above. I can't imagine it's necessary with modern carbon fabrication, its likely just a signature that they're afraid to lose. It looks dated.

However, I saw a tandem with a custom deep red candy clear with subtle flames that looked to be twenty layers down in the paint that was amazing. They can do finish work.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:13 AM

That one above in mat black would be cool but I'm a steel junkie. If I was ever to get a CF frame Calfee would be high on the list if for no other reason they must be doing something right, much like Moots and other Tai builders whose frames pretty much remain the same. I have no desire for one of the major CF manufacturers for obvious reasons, they are selling a bunch of hooey.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:26 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Maybe I haven’t been paying attention, but Calfees don’t seem to get many props up in here...and I’m just curious what might be the driver there? Is it a lack of Instagram game on their part? People don’t like the lugs? What gives?

They really aren’t that expensive compared to a lot of other custom options...
Part of this is Craig's abandonment of his dealer network. I sold many, then saw some QC issues, followed by his demanding unreasonable yearly buy ins regardless of what was on the floor or how many we purchased during the year. Adios Craig.

I talked to him at Interbike, seeing if the problems were resolved and if I could purchase a couple for the floor as a carbon choice..and got the 'gotta buy 10 up front like the other CO dealers', except there were no other CO dealers..

I think in the late 80s, 90s, it was a nice frame, good tech even with a few oddities(like offset BB shell, for crank clearance, because he wouldn't ovalize of 'dimple' the RH chainstay)..The Tetra, then Luna, then Dragonfly..nice frames, good $...but it kinda fell apart and now he is all about carbon repair, mostly.