Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2016, 02:00 PM

Thumbs up

The kitchen Aid burr grinder is tops, extremely well built and no issues for many years - I have never even had to clean it other than the occasional tap.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
The kitchen Aid burr grinder is tops, extremely well built and no issues for many years - I have never even had to clean it other than the occasional tap.
What do you use it for?

My understanding is that these are pretty good for press coffee, for example, but not consistent enough for espresso.

http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/for...php?f=19&t=766

I prefer a very dialed grinder (stepless Mazzer Mini) for espresso but am for more forgiving when it comes to my French press.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
I use one every day. You might be surprised if you do clean it.
Report back ☕️
Old 12-12-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin75s View Post
What do you use it for?

My understanding is that these are pretty good for press coffee, for example, but not consistent enough for espresso.

http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/for...php?f=19&t=766

I prefer a very dialed grinder (stepless Mazzer Mini) for espresso but am for more forgiving when it comes to my French press.
I wouldn't use it for espresso. I use it for pour over and it's fine. I wouldn't buy another one. I think the Bodum. Is a more consistent grind.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
I have a Capresso Infinity that I've been using everyday for the last 10 years (twice on the weekends). I've done nothing other than clean it out sometimes and wipe it down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by druptight View Post
Capresso Infinity here as well. Grinds my coffee, doesn't complain going on 3 years I think.... Feels like I've had it forever.
Another vote for Capresso Infinity here. Had it for two months now, no complaints, very quiet, easy to clean.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Ride Report:
Five months of five doubles a day of finely ground espresso and it's still working great.

Oh, and it planes!

William

The Breville Smart Grinder has been boxed back up and is just sitting, biding its time to grind more fine espresso. Not because it had any issues, it had none and ground fine enough to pull great shots through a non-pressurized naked portafilter (and does regular grind just as well). It's just that I got a deal on this bad boy that I couldn't pass up...

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grinder.jpg (45.7 KB, 160 views)

Last edited by William; 12-12-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:35 PM

Mine is a mazzer mini. It occurred to me that at some point I need to change the burrs. I have had it for about 15 years. I looked up the recommended replacement cycle. 660 pounds of bean throughput. So I did some math.

I go through a half pound of beans a week. 26 pounds a year. 390 pounds. Definitely have done some entertainment and some weeks of higher usage, but I reckon I am still good.

Have used "Grindz" to clean, but that is it. I say that was $500 well spent. Still amortizing that cost ...
Old 12-12-2016, 05:30 PM

Rancilio Rocky Grinder

+1 for the Rancilio Rocky Grinder. Flawless. I've had mine about 15 years. Replaced the burrs last year. Good for another 15!
Old 12-12-2016, 06:16 PM

I am trying a new grinder this month - the big one at Costco

Buy 3 pound bag o beans, grind it on the way out of the store. Gonna see if I can taste the difference between grinding it every few days or grinding it once a month. Bet I can't.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:50 PM

Mahlgut hand grinder. This one isn't available any more as he is working on a new version which should be out soon. Don't really need the considerable added expense of a motor in a high end grinder for a couple of morning cups. Phenomenal results.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
Buy 3 pound bag o beans, grind it on the way out of the store. Gonna see if I can taste the difference between grinding it every few days or grinding it once a month. Bet I can't.
Do a test. Every Saturday morning grind a fresh cup.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:01 PM

[QUOTE=Rueda Tropical;2091687]Mahlgut hand grinder. This one isn't available any more as he is working on a new version which should be out soon. Don't really need the considerable added expense of a motor in a high end grinder for a couple of morning cups. Phenomenal results.

Hold up. What's going on here?
Old 12-13-2016, 01:01 AM
v a n i l l a

Capresso +1000 for daily grind.

Great Choice to optimize price and results
Old 12-13-2016, 07:25 AM

On a related note, I just snagged one of these guys for grinding at work along with an Aeropress to end my need to go get Starbucks in order to avoid using the Keurig machines. Seems to work a treat after a few months of use, only $20, and will come in handy if I ever get around to any sort of touring on the old bike (when my 2 year old is much, much older):

Old 12-13-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post

Will be interested to hear the result. Also interesting to do a side-by-side of two month old coffee and coffee roasted a few days earlier.

I know some people who can't taste the difference and others who have completely changed their routines. People are all different.

I also have spent other people's money by bringing my grinder to their house and letting them do a side-by-side grinder comparison. People went from being sure I was full of shyte to being angry I hadn't convinced them earlier.