Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2020, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
If it doesn't have aero seatstays (the flattened, bladed seatstays) it's not a CAAD8.

It appears to me that the seatstays are round. I'm very certain that is a CAAD7. However, I've been wrong before.

I pretty sure that no CAAD 8's of that era were made without the aero stays. Only the new CAAD 8's were, but those aren't MUSA. The CAAD 9's had the stays more outboard at the seattube cluster (done even further with the 10), and the beginnings of the hydroformed top tube at the headtube junction. CAAD7's were made with almost entirely with 'round' or predominantly round tubes.... although the downtube did get larger toward the BB, the top tube was tapared and the seatstays of course were wishbone, but they were all what most would call 'round'. The 7's were the last before major shaping/flattening/hydroforming of the tubes started.

I couldn't tell from the pics.

I did check my Optimo tonight. Seat stays are round, 16 mm diameter. So while the decals say Optimo it may be a CAAD7. It is a team bike with special paint. I looked at the date code but have forgotten it already. Tomorrow is another day.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:09 AM

That is 100% CAAD perfection. Wow.

What size is that? Are those 7s round bars with the graphics removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoj View Post
Old 06-27-2020, 02:49 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
I couldn't tell from the pics.

I did check my Optimo tonight. Seat stays are round, 16 mm diameter. So while the decals say Optimo it may be a CAAD7. It is a team bike with special paint. I looked at the date code but have forgotten it already. Tomorrow is another day.
Another data point that would indicate that those must be CAAD7's is that the CAAD8 was introduced in 2005, which also corresponded with the end of the Saeco team - they merged with Lampre to form Lampre-Caffita.

So, if the team replica bikes say Saeco on them, it should be a CAAD7 or older or a six13 as according to the 2005 Cannondale catalogue the last "team replica bike with Saeco on it was the 2005 Six13. The 2004 bikes were CAAD7's.

BUT, contrary to what I said earlier, it does appear that maybe? the very first 2005 CAAD8's didn't have aero seat stays. That's explicitly mentioned in the 2006 catalogue. Which was the year of CAAD8 I owned.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:44 AM

I have not been overly excited about the new CAAD13 for several reasons:
- Proprietary seatpost and bottom bracket;

- Disc or direct mount caliper brakes only;

- More upright geometry (not as easy to get a "long and low" fit).
Perusing the Cannondale website, I see that the lower-tier CAAD Optimo has several advantages over the CAAD13:
- Standard 27.2 seatpost;

- Standard caliper brake mounting (single bolt);

- External routing for rear brake cable;

- BSA threaded bottom bracket shell;

- More traditional race geometry (more reach/less stack for each size when compared to a CAAD13).
If I were looking for an entry-level road race bike, the CAAD Optimo 1 would be a good place to start.

Greg
Old 07-16-2020, 09:06 AM

My first real road bike was a CAAD 8 Optimo, and I don't know what the R5000 part meant (or the Optimo part, for that matter), but that's what it said on the frame. Loved it. My true size is a 55, so the 56 I rode was a tad too big, and the 54 might be a bit small, but I rode the heck out of that bike.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:29 AM

What about this one?

Good, more rec-oriented?

Looks like a triple and may well be too small for the rider I'm thinking of, but this thread has me curious of the quality of the frame.
Old 09-18-2023, 02:45 PM

I'm digging up this old thread as it seems like the best place to ask:

I'm trying to get more information about the CAAD 6 frames. I've read they're the same as the CAAD 5, but use BB30 instead of BSA68. Is that true, or are there other differences? I've seen the CAAD 5 can take 28mm tires, and I want to know if the 6 can also.
Old 09-18-2023, 03:29 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooney View Post

I'm trying to get more information about the CAAD 6 frames. I've read they're the same as the CAAD 5, but use BB30 instead of BSA68. Is that true, or are there other differences? I've seen the CAAD 5 can take 28mm tires, and I want to know if the 6 can also.
FWIW, I had a CAAD10 that I could fit 28mm tires mounted to a Mavic Ksyrium rim.. groupset was SRAM Rival 10.. that bike was fantastic, just wish it was a size or two smaller..
Old 09-18-2023, 03:52 PM

One reason I like my CAAD 10 is the brake cable is internally routed, so sweat doesn't drip down on it, and the shift cables are externally routed. I did put a 68 MM BB sleeve in BB so I could continue to use my old Campy cranks.
Old 09-18-2023, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Edited - Nevermind, but I'm glad that you brought this thread back to life!

Texbike

Last edited by texbike; 09-18-2023 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-18-2023, 10:04 PM

Quote:

CAAD5 and CAAD6 frames are the same except for the BB30 on the CAAD6, but tire clearance on forks may vary. I have CAAD5 and CAAD6 bikes here, and can check clearance with 28s given some time. PM me and be prepared to wait, but don't hesitate to remind me.
Old 09-19-2023, 12:46 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
CAAD5 and CAAD6 frames are the same except for the BB30 on the CAAD6, but tire clearance on forks may vary. I have CAAD5 and CAAD6 bikes here, and can check clearance with 28s given some time. PM me and be prepared to wait, but don't hesitate to remind me.
This is the sort of answer I was hoping to find. I'll hold you to it (:
Old 09-19-2023, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
FWIW, I had a CAAD10 that I could fit 28mm tires mounted to a Mavic Ksyrium rim.. groupset was SRAM Rival 10.. that bike was fantastic, just wish it was a size or two smaller..
I gotta say....I bought a complete CAAD10/Record 10 bike for $500 a few years ago, stashed it in a storage locker in a city I traveled to every week and rode the heck out of it. It was a 60cm and easily took 28c tires with room to spare. It was a fantastic bike for such little money.
Old 09-19-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
I gotta say....I bought a complete CAAD10/Record 10 bike for $500 a few years ago, stashed it in a storage locker in a city I traveled to every week and rode the heck out of it. It was a 60cm and easily took 28c tires with room to spare. It was a fantastic bike for such little money.
I've long thought the main problems with CAADS is they don't cost enough to gain any cult status.
Old 09-19-2023, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I've long thought the main problems with CAADS is they don't cost enough to gain any cult status.
Lol. I think the CAADs have one of (if not the largest) cult followings out there. And I would argue their affordable value is actually a contributing factor to their cult status.

Tags
cannondale, cult of caad